The M60 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

37Likes

(Post Link) post #26 of 42 Old 15-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Itís a little over 6 months since I started this thread and Iíd like to report that the algorithms have got the ducks in a row, drivers are obeying the signs now, and the traffic is flowing much better. As I say, Iíd like to report that but I canít because, if anything, itís ****ing worse.

Last night it took me over an hour to get from Failsworth to my house, a journey of 13 miles which is nearly all motorway. This morning I was up at 5.15am to take elder child and her mates to the airport. I collected them all and got on the M60 at Whitefield at about 6.10. I got to the Swinton interchange at about 6.15am and the traffic was stopped where the cars join from the M61. At 6.15am.

The good news is that younger child has his first driving lesson next week (how old do I feel?). When he passes, he will take ownership of Kate's Fiesta and I won't have to go on the poxy thing in rush hour any more.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

A large part of the M6 smart motorway has now been completed near me, meaning there are 4 available lanes instead of 3.

This has resulted in long stretches of gloriously clear carriageway. Those stretches all being in lane 1, while the cockwombles that inhabit our motorways sail along in lane 2 and often lane 3 with absolutely no-one to their left for miles.
Pud237 and stuart1714 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

To be fair, the M6 smart motorway has made a difference, it has reduced the wife's commute by at least 15 mins since it opened, but that might be to do with the fact they've taken away the feckin' roadworks
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #29 of 42 Old 15-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I can see the M6 working because the issue is volume of traffic and cretins with no sense or patience. If you keep everyone doing a similar speed, the traffic will flow better. I can grasp that concept. The problems we have are a ****ing great big roundabout with traffic lights and a junction where pretty much all of the traffic needs to change lane criss- crossing each other. Throw in cretins with no sense or patience and it'll never work.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Every day, at some point, there's a crash or someone holding the traffic to ransom by threatening to jump off a bridge,

I hate the M6 with a passion.

It is useable after 9pm and before 5am. Other than that, it's just a sludge.
Dave Brand and 73GTVJim like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
What about the smart warnings? Pretty much every second or third night as I pass the M61/A666 exit I come across standing traffic all the way down Death Valley and up beyond J17 Prestwich where I want to get off. Iím pretty sure that maybe more than 20% of users could like myself divert up the M61 if only the frikkin gantry signs told you it was STATIONARY 300 yards out of your line of vision!
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
Every day, at some point, there's a crash or someone holding the traffic to ransom by threatening to jump off a bridge,

I hate the M6 with a passion.

It is useable after 9pm and before 5am. Other than that, it's just a sludge.
According to today's Daily Telegraph Kady Lee who threatened to jump off an overbridge on the M602 six times between February and April, has been convicted of causing a "public nuisance". Apparently on the last occasion the road was closed for 20 minutes, nearly 1000 motorists were delayed and it cost £560 to police the incident. So what is her punishment?

12 month community order. Is that going to deter her or anybody else?
(Post Link) post #33 of 42 Old 16-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I'm not sure that punishing people who are contemplating killing themselves is the way forward. I have to say that if the police get them down safe, I can live with those delays.

It's interesting to note that the Samaritans and other have put signs and flyers on a lot of the bridges around here.
bazza, Dave Brand and Al Faromeo like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I'm not sure that punishing people who are contemplating killing themselves is the way forward.
It does sound a little Gilbert and Sullivan, with the death penalty for attempted suicide.
AO Gold Member

I agree that anyone committing suicide is tragic, but I've never grasped why, if it involves someone jumping off a motorway bridge, the motorway becomes a "crime scene".......if suicide is the crime, the act was commited on the bridge. I understand a short delay to clear the scene and interview anyone directly involved on the motorway, but to close the thing for hours, as seems to be case, risks causing a disproportionate amount of disruption to thousands of people. Sorry if that sound heartless, but a delay like that could easily delay an emergency vehicle on the way to another emergency where they could render real help.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I'm not sure that punishing people who are contemplating killing themselves is the way forward. I have to say that if the police get them down safe, I can live with those delays.

It's interesting to note that the Samaritans and other have put signs and flyers on a lot of the bridges around here.
I must say I tend to agree that punishment is pointless hence my final comment. However after six attempts perhaps she needs some concentrated attention to help her through her depression not just abandoning to the community. Having talked her down after 20 minutes then what happens? Apparently very little if she is back on the bridge in a few weeks starting the whole thing all over again.

The other issue is that quite often the threat is a cry for help rather than the ultimate wish to die. In these cases then perhaps repeated occurrence is causing a public nuisance and needs discouraging by treating it as a mental illness and placing the person concerned in safe/secure accommodation and not giving them community service which to someone in that frame of mind must be pretty pointless.

Procrastination is the thief of time
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
There I was making my cake for the cycling club 10th Anniversary Cake Competition and listening to the radio. There was an M25 traffic announcement that the Dartford bridge was shut. This time I will not have a crazy six hour journey home with everybody else who ďdependsĒ on that motorway. Or do they? Where are they all going and why?
One of those journeys took me onto the bridge , followed by an Ambulance apparently on an emergency call. It also had to stop for hours and hours right there. What happened? Was there another ambulance anyway. Was there no emergency?
AO Silver Member

Garage
I get the impression that a lot of people live in Kent and work in Essex or the other way round. At peak times there always seem to be a lot of joining/leaving traffic at the two or three junctions either side of the crossing.
Perhaps the problem would be less if it was easier to move house.

Alternatively could the crossing have dedicated commuting and long distance lanes? The chopping and changing lanes must contribute to the congestion and reduce the capacity.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I couldnít persuade my wife , or myself for that matter, to move to Essex. And now we are still in Kent and I donít need to join the procession you describe. The bridge enabled this and just think what distances will be possible with autonomous cars!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

It appears I've hit a nerve with my comment.

I'm sorry if I came across as unsympathetic, please be assured that I do treat all mental health patients with respect, dignity and sympathy/empathy.

In my experience, I've known 4 people jump from a bridge, and they just did it - it's terribly sad that they got to that point, but that was the decision they made.

However, I've been to people who refuse ambulance help, just because they think being sectioned by the police is better for them...the more attention, the better (which in itself is a form of mental health problems but, in my experience, not as immediately severe), but more often than not, they have full capacity and know exactly what they are doing.

I was once held up for 4-5 hours by a bloke on a bridge who had nothing more than a political statement to make. He told police he was threatening to jump, just to increase the amount of time he gained on the bridge.

I reiterate - for those poor folk suffering with the black dog, I have every sympathy

Last edited by stan laurel; 17-05-19 at 17:34.
AO Silver Member

Garage
The drawback to Essex must be the large manufactories such as Ford. I believe North Esssex is very different.

I think of the fuel being burnt to enable people to live miles from their jobs. A hundred years ago people had to live within a bicycle ride of work and even longer ago enlightened employers built housing along with the factory and we only needed the roads (or railways) to distribute the manufactured goods.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

It took me 2 hours to get home on the M60 yesterday. It is on average about 35 minutes normally when I leave prior to 4pm, which I do most often.
I left at 3:33pm and arrived almost home (I was so late I drove to pick the missus up from work locally) at 5:30.
It took 1 hour 45 minutes to do 9 miles. Apparently on the radio it said multiple accidents. As I decided to take lane 3, lanes 1 and 2 merged into mine. Another bad decision. As I passed there was workmen, cones (lanes 1 & 2) and a lorry recovering a lorry. It turns out that lorry had been previously recovered and fell off; hence the multiple car crashes. I can only imagine.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page