Guild of Illiterate Transport Services (GITS) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

4Likes
  • 3 Post By oilman
  • 1 Post By TonyGr

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 28-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Guild of Illiterate Transport Services (GITS)

Last week I ordered some gearbox and engine oils for the Alfetta, from Opie Oils - who are excellent.

I live in an old house and we don't generally use the front door because it's not the most convenient means of ingress and egress. All of the delivery drivers know this, and routinely come to the back door. For the benefit of any newbies (or anyone who's forgotten) there’s also a clear and friendly sign on our front door saying “please use the back door”. I’d been at home all day, and was eagerly awaiting the delivery of the oil for the Alfa.

But the delivery driver just left the package from Opie (worth over £100) on the front doorstep, right underneath the “please use the back door” sign, and in full view of anyone who walked past. As if that wasn’t sufficient disappointment, there were some simple instructions printed on the box too, in big capital letters. See attached photos.

Moments like this cast a long dark shadow of doubt over the entire British education system...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5076.jpg (101.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5079.jpg (41.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5078.jpg (60.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The person delivering it might not have had English as their first language. Or even second, third or fourth language for that matter...
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 28-08-18 Thread Starter
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The person delivering it might not have had English as their first language. Or even second, third or fourth language for that matter...
I guess that could be true! But there are only eight single-syllable words involved in those two notices combined. You’d think that even a delivery driver with the most feeble grasp of English might have learned to recognise an arrow, and the words “THIS WAY UP”.

And what about "road closed", "low bridge", "danger: cliff edge", "flood", "one-way traffic", "Police: stop", etc...?
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Good Morning,

First of all please accept our apology for how FedEx delivery your order. I have informed our account manager who will be passing this onto your local depot.

Please, let us know if there any issues with your order.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Phil
Sterzo, RobM and keithyboy like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 29-08-18 Thread Starter
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Good Morning,

First of all please accept our apology for how FedEx delivery your order. I have informed our account manager who will be passing this onto your local depot.

Please, let us know if there any issues with your order.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Phil
Thanks Phil for responding to this: everything in the box was fine, and luckily nothing had leaked - despite being left upside down! Thanks too for passing on to FedEx. If the driver gets a bit of helpful advice/re-training, then maybe something positive will have come from this...
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
The usual excuses I see rolled out for the shambolic state of many delivery services (low pay, gig economy, too many deliveries demanded in insufficient time, unsuitable vehicles for parking properly etc etc) which result in faked delivery attempts (We Tried To Deliver But You Were Out notices!) or parcels left in stupid places/conditions (as above) are all issues which are solvable.

The problem is that like far too many "services" in the UK - the race to the very bottom in terms of price and service levels means that we end up with what we deserve.

Historically the likes of DHL, Fedex and Royal Mail were always seen as expensive. They were expensive because they had service levels and facilities which meant that FTE drivers and delivery staff, warehouse staff and management could be employed, trained and incentivized to operate properly (and mostly use common sense).

Then in drop Yodel, Hermes and uncle Tom Cobbly and all who undercut those services dramatically on price - and lo and behold the vast majority now opt to use them because they are cheap.

And we get exactly what we pay for.

And worse still - like the airline business - now the DHL and FedEx's go and adopt the same working practices so they don't go out of business and we end up with almost no choice of quality services!

Maybe, just maybe, you can't run a quality, sensible, reliable and useful nationwide delivery service for 2.99p a package. Perhaps it will cost 5 quid to deliver it if you want it to arrive safely and be delivered by someone who takes a bit of pride in their job.

We only ever (in the UK) seem to be able to choose between the Gold Option or the Bargain Basement Bin.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I too have had bad experiences with fed Ex, and wouldn't use them myself.

About 2 years ago I ordered around £300 worth of motorcycle spares from a well known UK supplier for Yamaha bits.

The parts didn't show up after a week or so, and I contacted the supplier who said they had been despatched a couple of days ago and delivered and signed for the previous day. I looked on the Fex Ex site at the reacking info and sure enough there was a signature which just stated my surname. (Looking nothing like my actual signature).

I complained to the supplier, sent them a scan of my passport to show what my signature really looks like and low and behold the parts arrived the very next day.

In my experience DPD are best, closely followed by UPS.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)

Last edited by symon; 29-08-18 at 17:19. Reason: Typo
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Delivery driver are a break from the monotony of life.

They both frustrate and amuse me at the same time.

“Are you Mrs. D Verbout”?...Yes I am.

“I have a parcel for you”

“Parcel for you Mr. Donaldson”... I’m not Mr Donaldson.

“You are, Mr. Donaldson No°23”... This isn’t N°23.

“It is, can you sign here”?....No.

“I can’t give you the parcel without a signature”.....Off you go then.

I had my letterbox flappy thing broke twice last year by these idiots forcing packages through the letterbox.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I agree about DPD. Our local driver, Wayne, is always cheerful, arrives in a liveried van and does not rush you to sign his hand held electronic gizzmo. Yodel and the likes turn up in a beat-up old car on its last legs, parcels rammed in any old how, and however well the despatcher has packed it the box is battered and looks as if it has been round the world.

Before I retired I worked from home and the company would send boxes of literature direct from the main office in Luxembourg using UPS (supposedly a reputable firm) this is what arrived on one occasion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parcels 1compressed.jpg (49.4 KB, 2 views)
RobM likes this.

Procrastination is the thief of time

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page