I apologise now gents, this is a rant borne of envy for money, for seemingly less responsibilty:
I'm confused about how a specific job role is evaluated and as a result, a salary is decided.
Let me share a personal insight into a few roles within the Ambulance Service.
When I first started, as an EMD (The 999 call takers) my wage was £15,610, my hourly rate was £7.50.
This rate was for someone who was highly trained, giving life-saving CPR instructions or, at the very least, a calming influence to volatile situations; giving proper medical advice to panicked and highly anxious callers in massively varying scenarios. All experienced EMDís have listened to multiple harrowing calls during their duties. I for one, remember dozens. I regularly went home and cried.
I then went into Dispatch. I got a pay rise: £18577.
Thatís 8.92 per hour.
For ďPlaying GodĒ, deciding who gets the next available ambulance, when we had multiple jobs outstanding; Looking at 4 computer screens for 12 hours a shift, having to be on the ball all the time, in order to divert resources to more serious emergencies. Whilst taking multiple radio calls from crews; whilst phoning police and other services to assist; whilst passing standby's to the hospital resus phone. And trying to look after crews' welfare (yes, I tried my best).
Herding cats that are ADHD would have been easier!
I was also a HEMS dispatcher: Amongst a multitude of other duties, I had to decide if I needed to shut down a motorway to allow our helicopter a safe landing Ė and organize it if it did. I was the Comms between the Air ambulance and other services. It was my responsibility to make sure they got home safely. I stayed late after my shift to ensure they did so, when there were no Hems trained dispatchers, coming on night shift.
Iíve liaised with Mountain Rescue, Fire, Police, RAF, Army, Coastguard and other services, in order to ensure the patient had the best possible care and subsequent treatment.
£8.92 per hour.
I did this for 5 years and had achieved the top of my payscale (£10.48), with only 1% increments to rely on thereafter. There was no inflation related increase.
Finally, after being at the top of my band and becoming more frustrated, I took the plunge and became a member of the road crew (sideways move, no pay rise). 80% of the time is routine stuff, but the other 20% is where skill and professionalism come into play.
In the last month alone, I've attended and helped a Paramedic with at least 10 people that would have otherwise died, had it not been for our Pre-hospital intervention (Sepsis, COPD, narcotic overdose....the list goes on and on).
I've seen death: the peaceful and the not so peaceful. The old and the very, very young. Heart-breaking stuff.
Itís everything you see on TV, but multiply that to the níth degree and itíll still not be what you imagine.
Presently, my hourly rate is £11.37. (plus 25% for all the unsocial hours that we work).
However, if you want to earn more, you could collect tickets (i'm being slightly pedantic, but not much), on a train, for a very well paid £16.15 per hour; with many benefits. Free pension; Free rail travel; Reduced air fares, etc etc.
Virgin Rail , last week were offering a "revenue collection officer" post, paying nearly £33k.
Benefits that far out-weigh ours: our pensions have been shot to hell, we are expected to carry out our duties until we are 68 (how the hell are we able to lift or carry, usually larger people, downstairs at that age?). CPR for 20 minutes on a person?
And for what? a potential 2 year retirement, before we Shuffle of the mortal coil ourselves? If we actually make it to retirement!
EMD's/ EMT's/ Paramedics are UNDERVALUED, and that is the absolute crux of my post.
I love my Job, don't get me wrong. But surely a fair wage, for what we do, is appropriate.
The last pay "rise" was not approved, or voted for, by ambulance staff, and any promotions at certain payscales may result in a pay loss: anyone who changes roles after August will be stripped of their right to 25% unsocial enhancement!!!
Last edited by stan laurel; 12-08-18 at 02:52.