Sellers who state "I'm not bothered if it sells or not" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

15Likes
  • 2 Post By Scudetto
  • 1 Post By PaulR
  • 1 Post By mas430
  • 2 Post By keithyboy
  • 5 Post By RobM
  • 2 Post By mj2k
  • 1 Post By RobM
  • 1 Post By mas430

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 31-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Sellers who state "I'm not bothered if it sells or not"

My hoarding is getting out of hand again and I'm in a buying spree for new to me Alfa's, I miss my 916's and thought I'd try and buy myself a new model.

Seen a few on gumtree and noticed one that was for sale back in April and was now for sale again £100 cheaper but with no MOT. I called the chap and asked him why he wasn't MOT'ing as he'd get more for it and was given the rebuttal, if I MOT it is be asking £1k more!!!

So, I asked him about belts and work done and was given the reply, "I don't know what work has been done and it hasn't let me down n two years ownership!"

So, at this stage I was pretty sure that I hadn't found my new 916 and to cap this fellas sales patter he gives me the line, ..... "I'm not bothered if I sell it or not!"

Who ever said buyers are the tyre kickers obviously had never met this guy!

Last edited by EauRouge; 31-07-18 at 20:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
"that's a shame if you don't care if it doesn't sell. I was going to offer you an extra £1,000 for it. Bye bye."
EauRouge and baxter2308 like this.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
AO Member

This chap takes some beating his ad was @ £14500 when I noticed it:

"REDUCED TO £16,000 FOR QUICK CASH SALE ONLY ALL PX WILL BE BASED ON THE ORIGINAL £18,000 VALUE"

!!!!! REDUCED FROM £18,000 TO £16000 FOR QUICK SALE BUT ANY PX OR SWAPZ WILL BE BASED ON £18,000 THIS IS REDUCTION FOR CASH ONLY SO GRAB A BARGAIN!!!!!!

i have previously turned down offers of much more than this but now needs to go so willing to just cut my losses but the cars amazing.

NO OTHER CAR OUT THERE FOR LESS THAN £30K THAT I WOULD RATHER OWN THAN THIS JAGUAR XFR...TOOK ME 2 YEARS TO FIND ONE THIS IMMACULATE AND WITH NO FAULTS ,PLUS WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF BEING THE BEST AND MOST SOUGHT AFTER COLOUR COMBINATION AVAILABLE (SILVER , ANTHRACITE WHEELS,RED INTERIOR)

STUART 07771080473.
As he has put the price from £14500 to £16000 I asked if any work had been carried out...answer he doesn't want to deal with time wasters & I should basically F Off CHARMING, wonder why its not sold?
EauRouge likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Private sellers.

Always a complete nightmare because they think the car is worth the higher of a) the price they paid 2 years ago and b) the amount they still owe on it.
EauRouge and RobM like this.
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Private sellers.

Always a complete nightmare because they think the car is worth the higher of a) the price they paid 2 years ago and b) the amount they still owe on it.
Something I was very usefully told a lot of years ago by a car dealer is that all cars halve in value every three years (assuming fairly average mileage, no obvious accident damage, interior not shredded by kids/dogs, etc). Do the maths, and you'll see that a ten year old car is worth 10% of its original new price.

And it's true...

The Land Rover we bought brand new in 1999 for £21k is still in super condition but only worth about £400. My Fiat Stilo Abarth was apparently £16k when new in 2005 but I paid £1600 when I bought it ten years later.

It's been a fantastically valuable 'rule-of-thumb' over the years and I walk away from any used car who's price doesn't (more-or-less) reflect this inevitable and almost universal depreciation.

Trouble is, if I apply that same maths to my 1979 Alfetta saloon (pic attached), it turns out to be currently worth 73p...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5054 2.jpg (155.9 KB, 7 views)
AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Something I was very usefully told a lot of years ago by a car dealer is that all cars halve in value every three years (assuming fairly average mileage, no obvious accident damage, interior not shredded by kids/dogs, etc). Do the maths, and you'll see that a ten year old car is worth 10% of its original new price.

And it's true...

The Land Rover we bought brand new in 1999 for £21k is still in super condition but only worth about £400. My Fiat Stilo Abarth was apparently £16k when new in 2005 but I paid £1600 when I bought it ten years later.

It's been a fantastically valuable 'rule-of-thumb' over the years and I walk away from any used car who's price doesn't (more-or-less) reflect this inevitable and almost universal depreciation.

Trouble is, if I apply that same maths to my 1979 Alfetta saloon (pic attached), it turns out to be currently worth 73p...
I'll give you 75p for the Alfetta, see, you're up 2p already
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko1960 View Post
I'll give you 75p for the Alfetta, see, you're up 2p already
Oh, blimey - I've probably started a bidding war now.

I'm belatedly wishing I'd put it on eBay, as I'd have (just out of habit) started it at £1....
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Oh, blimey - I've probably started a bidding war now.

I'm belatedly wishing I'd put it on eBay, as I'd have (just out of habit) started it at £1....
I’ll give you £1, if you deliver, and fill the tank.

The three year rule is a good tip.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

£1.50 and a pile of (useless) classic Peugeot switches?

I think there's a point where the 'half' rule turns to 'double what it was worth last year', normally when there's very few of them left, and people suddenly decide their car's not a 'banger' but a 'classic', not on merit but purely because of rarity. I recently saw someone trying to sell a Rover 75 for £3000 as a 'rare and valuable classic', which doesn't seem a terribly good description of a poorly put-together Honda. Or the Skoda 130 Rapid, an unreliable deathtrap assembled out of cardboard boxes and baked bean cans, is now apparently worth £12000, which is considerably more than the skip on wheels was worth when it was new, even allowing for inflation!

Of course there are exceptions - for years the 916 GTV was poorly thought of and the prices plummeted as a result, but finally it's getting the recognition it deserves for it's fine looks, handling, interior and noises.
mas430 and EauRouge like this.

Last edited by mj2k; 08-09-18 at 19:43.
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
£1.50 and a pile of (useless) classic Peugeot switches?
I've just told Mrs M that "I'm not sure how it happened, but I think I've accidentally sold the Alfetta for £1.50 on the forum". She is a linguist and said that the Italians have a special word for people like me - and that the British have some quite good ones too...
mj2k likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Don't forget you got some useless switches too, as a sweetener
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:

And it's true...

Defender Landy?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
I've just told Mrs M that "I'm not sure how it happened, but I think I've accidentally sold the Alfetta for £1.50 on the forum". She is a linguist and said that the Italians have a special word for people like me - and that the British have some quite good ones too...
There used to be an expression 'silly Suffolk' does it still apply? Better than NFN though.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas430 View Post
This chap takes some beating his ad was @ £14500 when I noticed it:

"REDUCED TO £16,000 FOR QUICK CASH SALE ONLY ALL PX WILL BE BASED ON THE ORIGINAL £18,000 VALUE"

!!!!! REDUCED FROM £18,000 TO £16000 FOR QUICK SALE BUT ANY PX OR SWAPZ WILL BE BASED ON £18,000 THIS IS REDUCTION FOR CASH ONLY SO GRAB A BARGAIN!!!!!!

i have previously turned down offers of much more than this but now needs to go so willing to just cut my losses but the cars amazing.

NO OTHER CAR OUT THERE FOR LESS THAN £30K THAT I WOULD RATHER OWN THAN THIS JAGUAR XFR...TOOK ME 2 YEARS TO FIND ONE THIS IMMACULATE AND WITH NO FAULTS ,PLUS WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF BEING THE BEST AND MOST SOUGHT AFTER COLOUR COMBINATION AVAILABLE (SILVER , ANTHRACITE WHEELS,RED INTERIOR)

STUART 07771080473.
As he has put the price from £14500 to £16000 I asked if any work had been carried out...answer he doesn't want to deal with time wasters & I should basically F Off CHARMING, wonder why its not sold?
Well his sales patter didn't seem to work on the public...its up for sale @ £16k from a dealer ,wonder how much they gave him...
EauRouge likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page