When quality systems fail. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave Brand

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 24-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
When quality systems fail.

My wife's old Union Jack messenger bag (nobody ever accused her of good taste!) finally got to the stage where it was only fit for the bin, so she scoured the internet for a replacement. She found just the one she wanted on Amazon, so it was duly ordered.

The bag arrived. . . a good bag apart from the fact that down the lower part of the front flap there was a 20mm wide white stripe where no white stripe should be. It looks like the design is ink-jet printed onto white fabric so at some point the print heads have briefly failed to operate.

Wouldn't you have thought that one of the several people involved in various stages in the production process would have noticed the fault? It's probably been handled by at least three people, the printing machine operative, the person who cut the fabric to shape & the person who sewed the bag - possibly more than that. Then there's the final quality control inspection (maybe intermediate QC) which should have picked up the fault.

She emailed the seller with a photo of the bag. No problem there - they were happy to send a replacement.

Now here's where it gets really silly. The replacement bag didn't have a rogue white stripe on the lower part of the front flap. . . it had it on the upper part. If a customer has been supplied with a faulty product isn't it just plain common sense to check the rest of your stock just in case; it's certainly just plain common sense to check the one you're sending as a replacement.

So, another email, another apology but no replacement available. She asked them to supply return labels for the two faulty bags; they replied that they didn't need them back but they would issue a full refund, so she's got two free, albeit faulty bags.

All's well that ends well. She found the same bag supplied direct from Amazon for a couple of quid more, which is perfect.

The wisest boss I ever worked for said that quality is simply everybody doing their job properly. In this instance several people have failed to do that.
cue2 likes this.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Last edited by Dave Brand; 24-07-18 at 17:19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Check the spelling quality on the following; "wisest boss I ever worked for said that quality is simply everybody doing there job properly. In this instance several people have failed to do that."

Or was it

wisest boss I ever worked for said that quality is simply everybody doing their job properly. In this instance one person failed to do that.

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Check the spelling quality on the following; "wisest boss I ever worked for said that quality is simply everybody doing there job properly. In this instance several people have failed to do that."

Or was it

wisest boss I ever worked for said that quality is simply everybody doing their job properly. In this instance one person failed to do that.

Kitty's got claws
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Those children may be good for cheap labour, but they're rubbish at QA.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
QA Systems per se achieve nothing that wasn't achieved by a company that cared about it's reputation before the systems were introduced. Control of quality is down to the individual operative or supervisor caring enough. All a formal system achieves is a paper trail record to "prove" that specified checks have been made.

I spent some years as lead QA auditor for a construction company. The system included, in one section,a check sheets for ensuring everything was clean and as it should be before concrete was poured. These sheets were basically tick lists to record, as they happened, that all the required checks had been carried out. Sites were given notice of a QA inspection and it was an open secret that the days prior were spent getting the check sheets up to date. There was rarely, if ever, a problem with the quality of the finished concrete structures but sometimes it was blatently obvious that the check sheets had never been out of the office. For instance the site daily diary would record that it had been a damp miserable day on the day of the pour and yet the sheet showed no evidence of muddy finger prints or rain spots. When I drew this practice to the attention of the QA Manager I was told not to worry it was all about the records being able to prove the checks had been made
I gave up, took the money and checked the paper trail after that. If subsequently something went wrong it was not my problem; after all the paper trail was complete and they could have copied out the original forms because they were too damaged to file.

Procrastination is the thief of time
AO Platinum Member

Nothing is random so if you do it enough you can work out adjustments such as in the six-sigma process.
A fine example of quality control was when REME took over Wolfsburg under the leadership of Major Ivan Hirst.
This is well worth reading https://www.volkswagenag.com/presenc...h/Heft4_EN.pdf
Great to think how the British army helped set up quality processes in a factory where they were painting cars without removing the oil that is put on the metal to stop it rusting and help with the stamping process.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 24-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:

Or was it

It's a good thing AO doesn't impose a time limit on editing!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 24-07-18 at 17:37.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 24-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Nothing is random so if you do it enough you can work out adjustments such as in the six-sigma process.
Been there, done that!

I learnt about SPC in the 1960s as a baby engineer; it was the best part of 30 years before I was involved in its implementation. We were trying to inspect quality into the product (Deming quoting Harold F Dodge); it didn't work.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

Forgive me!
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

147 1.6

Quote:
A fine example of quality control was when REME took over Wolfsburg under the leadership of Major Ivan Hirst.
This is well worth reading https://www.volkswagenag.com/presenc...h/Heft4_EN.pdf
Great to think how the British army helped set up quality processes in a factory where they were painting cars without removing the oil that is put on the metal to stop it rusting and help with the stamping process.
What an excellent read! Just spent more time than I should have reading that at work! Great testament to overcoming post-war shortages.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page