The worst road users... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

23Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 26-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

GT 3.2

TUT The worst road users...

In third place... Middle lane 'hoggers' who REFUSE to move over clogging up the motorway meaning I have to go from lane 1 to lane 3 to overtake them and then back to lane 1 again. I recently witnessed several people doing this to avoid someone who seemed to have their primary attention focused on their phone or applying lipstick in the mirror, (sorry girls!)

In second place... Astra ecoflex drivers who insist on tailgating me through town at 30mph six inches from my back bumper then send me curious 'hand signals' when I put a little more space between us out of town...

And in first place... Pedestrians! For the record you do not have right of way on the road and no my car will not stop in 2 feet at 30 mph. But THE worst is parents with Push Chairs at Zebra Crossings. Why, oh Why oh Why do they approach without looking up from their 'phones or stopping walking until the last minute only to realise traffic is still moving in front of them - they then abruptly stop with the front of their pushchairs on the kerb or even on the crossing itself - crazy! (Scary too if I'm Honest!).

Please, please be careful out there folks as all of the above I have witnessed far too often!

G

Gone. 1999 156 2.5 Busso - Great when I didn't blow it up!
Gone. 2004 3.2 GT - Had the wife's initials on the number plate - I think the car was cursed! NOT a viable daily driver...
Gone. 2001 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark. Great great great; but once you have had the Busso everything else seems to struggle (a bit).
Current. 2005 GT 3.2 Second car. Cosseted, Garaged, rarely used, makes me smile every time..
Current. 2010 VW CC GT TDI 170. Daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

AO Member

County: Kent
Been there with someone using a cordless curler/straightener at 70 both hands off the wheel, lunacy. Yep to the lane hoggers not paying attention, number of times I've been in lane 3 behind traffic and lane 2 is solid with folk that have no clue about rules of the road, while lane 1 is empty. Effectively our roads have only 60% of capacity available to use because in the UK drivers are generally selfish or ignorant or both. Never see that behaviour when I drove in Europe, people just moved aside (unless they had a UK plate lol).

As far as pedestrians go - they do have right of way at marked crossings and intersections, but yes they should use common sense and wait for traffic to stop. That said, if they step out and you don't manage to stop you could be stuffed in the eyes of the law if you've not seen it coming and slowed down enough. Dashcam's are becoming a necessity these days. I do agree tho, way too many idiots glued to their phones, headphones masking real world sounds that might alert them and generally just not paying attention and making it everyone else's fault when they have an accident. Drivers playing with phones are just as bad and I see lots of that all the time, even police officers a couple times!

Did see one nasty near miss tho and not the 2 girls pushing their buggies fault at all. They waited at the pelican crossing, traffic stopped and as they got to the middle of the road, 2 [email protected] on motorbikes with GF's on the back roared past the line of traffic full tilt and just missed taking the buggies out. Shame I didn't have a dashcam back then or I'd have reported that with evidence.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The particularly amazing middle lane hoggers are the ones who move to lane 3 when the motorways becomes a 4 lane one.
You really have to wonder what's going on in their minds.
djlat and stan laurel like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
The middle lane hoggers have an explanation behind them. They don't want to be in the lane that cars enter and exit the motorway from, as the slowing or accelerating cars could cause the lane hogger to need to pay attention and brake.

In the US, there are often so many entrances and exits to highways in quick succession that the right lane (equivalent to UK left lane) is mostly empty, save for mergers and particularly slow vehicles like dump trucks and the like. Everyone else moves over to the middle lane, as otherwise they'd have to brake to let people onto and off the highway every half mile or so.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlat View Post
...... I do agree tho, way too many idiots glued to their phones, headphones masking real world sounds that might alert them and generally just not paying attention and making it everyone else's fault when they have an accident.
This could equally apply to drivers who turn the "music" up so high that there is no way they will hear even the emergency services sirens. We live on a service road parallel to the main road and separated by a wide strip of grass, trees and a cycle path. Taking our road and the front garden in to account we are probably 40 yards from the main road. When the traffic is queuing in what passes for a rush hour here in sunny Scunny the bass beat can be really audible even with double glazing and the windows shut. How they are ever aware of what is going on outside the car I cannot imagine.
djlat likes this.

Procrastination is the thief of time
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Can we have a mention for those who can't carry more than 35, 40mph in a 60 zone, but more than happy to do 40+ in a 30?? Typically driving a Honda Jazz, sadly, the camera van is never around to catch them....

Seems my commute is full of these types.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I once saw an explanation for centre lane driving in, I think, the Civil Service Motorists Association magazine.

The argument has two stages.

First you don’t want to be in the inside lane because of the menace posed by people joining the motorway. There is also the risk that animals could escape from the fields next to the motorway and, if they do, being in the centre lane gives you more time to react than you would have in the inside lane. Similarly, there might be vehicles on the shoulder who might do something unexpected and you avoid them for the same reason.

Second, you don’t want to be in the outside lane either. Anyone one of the menaces described above is equally capable of being a menace on the other carriageway with resulting carnage. This carnage could quite easily breach the central reservation and encroach onto the outside lane. Being in the centre lane you avoid this.

The other important point made is that if you’re doing 70mph, nobody should be overtaking you so what’s the problem? If you happen across someone who doesn’t like to live as dangerously as you doing say 60mph, you just slow down accordingly rather than running the gauntlet on lane 3.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
There is a Civil Service Motorists Association?

"I work for the government. And I drive I car! I must associate with those other rare individuals like myself!"
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagary2012 View Post
In third place... Middle lane 'hoggers' who REFUSE to move over clogging up the motorway meaning I have to go from lane 1 to lane 3 to overtake them and then back to lane 1 again. I recently witnessed several people doing this to avoid someone who seemed to have their primary attention focused on their phone or applying lipstick in the mirror, (sorry girls!)
Why bother moving over? If they've stayed in lane 2 they aren't likely to move back - carry on in lane one (wih caution, covering the horn) Plod are more likely to be interested in the middle lane hogger so long as you're not weaving between lanes to make progress

Quote:
In second place... Astra ecoflex drivers who insist on tailgating me through town at 30mph six inches from my back bumper then send me curious 'hand signals' when I put a little more space between us out of town...
Not only Astras. The 40 everywhere brigade drive a wide range of vehicles

Quote:
And in first place... Pedestrians! For the record you do not have right of way on the road and no my car will not stop in 2 feet at 30 mph. But THE worst is parents with Push Chairs at Zebra Crossings. Why, oh Why oh Why do they approach without looking up from their 'phones or stopping walking until the last minute only to realise traffic is still moving in front of them - they then abruptly stop with the front of their pushchairs on the kerb or even on the crossing itself - crazy! (Scary too if I'm Honest!).
Actually, in law, pedestrians do have the right of way (except on motorways and other prohibited roads). Yes, it is the duty of us motorists to avoid pedestrians walking in the road. Of course common sense should kick in with them that 70-80kg of flesh & bone is not going to win an argument with 2 tonnes of metal, and it's a reasonable assumption that pedestrians have common sense.... OK who am I kidding....
AO Silver Member

County: -
Anything that wears an Audi badge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Can we have a mention for those who can't carry more than 35, 40mph in a 60 zone, but more than happy to do 40+ in a 30?? Typically driving a Honda Jazz, sadly, the camera van is never around to catch them....

Seems my commute is full of these types.
Yes, plenty of these selfish tw*ts up here this time of year. They drive every type of vehicle and have a "I'm on holiday so no hurry and I will admire the great scenery whilst driving rather than stopping in a lay by", attitude.

Some have an excuse for slowing down more on the bends if on unfamiliar roads, but its those car drivers who cannot go with the flow and are left behind on the bends by left hand drive campers or hgvs. Of course as soon as the road straightens, down goes the right foot just as you want to get past them. (hence why I drive a v6 Brera).

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
(Post Link) post #13 of 37 Old 26-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

GT 3.2

Wow - quite a response with some interesting observations and experiences...

As I live in 'sticksville' I need to drive for a living, (enjoy it in fact!), and try to look after my cars because of this and to keep them in the best condition possible. For my and others safety, the cars longevity, and because I like them and have invested heavily in them.

Unfortunately I seem to be in a diminishing group of people who are remotely considerate of other road users, COMMON SENSE, and OF COURSE the law, (not to mention common sense - did I mention that!?), and have little regard for their own, or others personal or vehicular safety!

I accept the comments that motorists have to 'look out' for pedestrians, but too many pedestrians have little regard for this or their own safety. Too many times, (To confirm once is one time to many!), pedestrians have stepped out into the road requiring me to stand my car on its front bumper to miss them. The )(&^*(&^ of abuse that follows as I was unable to make a 90 degree turn at 30mph in 6 inches NEVER considers that they may have contributed to this themselves.

Should Pedestrians not have a road safety test too! Do we need another 'public information film' on how to survive the high street with your legs intact?

Unfortunately pedestrians may have priority. But if its not used correctly and sympathetically for the motorist, an assumption that you are always in the right, in reality might end up being a painful discovery to the contrary!
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Aggressive cyclists are really annoying. You know - the ones who because they are cycling on a designated cycle route, seem to believe that cars aren't allowed and therefore force me off the road to avoid a collision.

Fortunately for them, I value keeping my Brera free of scratches and scrapes or I might be tempted not to drive quite so far onto the verge. Some of them wobble about so much they almost need the whole road. (they're mostly narrow single track)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
Yes, plenty of these selfish tw*ts up here this time of year. They drive every type of vehicle and have a "I'm on holiday so no hurry and I will admire the great scenery whilst driving rather than stopping in a lay by", attitude.

Some have an excuse for slowing down more on the bends if on unfamiliar roads, but its those car drivers who cannot go with the flow and are left behind on the bends by left hand drive campers or hgvs. Of course as soon as the road straightens, down goes the right foot just as you want to get past them. (hence why I drive a v6 Brera).
I work on the south coast so, this time of year the roads are horrific, and to top it off, my commute has a garden centre, plant nursery and national trust place on it - it's a mecca for the elderly - one culprit, who I see most days can't carry 30 round a sweeping bend without jamming on the brakes, continuing at sub 20mph...
On the occasions I've managed to overtake them, they're crouched over the wheel with a sat nav inches from their face, which must obscure most of the view of the road!

I of course, am a perfect driver....
alfagary2012 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

the smaller the car, the worse driver they are. micra, jazz and anything small and french should be given maximum room, anything could happen. also the small car driver cannot park.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The other day I was going through roadworks on a dual carriageway. There was a 30mph speed limit in place so I was doing 30mph and there was one car in front of me.

As the speed limit ended I accelerated to pass the car in front, but as I did so he moved to the outer lane. There was nothing on the inside lane in front of him, and no particular other reason to pull out to stop me passing other than to deliberately get into my way or it was simply due to stupidity on his part.

It wasn't like I was trying to pass him quickly either, I was in the Ford focus we have which isn't exactly a rocketship...

I followed him for about 2 miles along the dual carriageway, him in the outer lane with me moved back to the inner.
I was very tempted to drive up the inside and blast the horn as I went past.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
There is a Civil Service Motorists Association?

"I work for the government. And I drive I car! I must associate with those other rare individuals like myself!"
There is. We used to get cheap insurance and breakdown cover through it. It also had a very active motorsport arm back in the day.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post

The other important point made is that if you’re doing 70mph, nobody should be overtaking you so what’s the problem? If you happen across someone who doesn’t like to live as dangerously as you doing say 60mph, you just slow down accordingly rather than running the gauntlet on lane 3.
This brings up the other odd one. The speed matching middle laner. They come up to someone else going slower, there'd room to overtake. Do they? No, they match speed and stay behind the other car. When the other car moves to lane 1, they speed up and overtake - until the reach the next person in lane 2, where they repeat again.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
The particularly amazing middle lane hoggers are the ones who move to lane 3 when the motorways becomes a 4 lane one.
You really have to wonder what's going on in their minds.
see my wet wet wet video ....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
see my wet wet wet video ....
Think I'll pass thanks....
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
The worst come in all different flavours but Audi drivers have to top my particular list...

Single carriageway A road, i found an A4 dawdling (half asleep? ) the other morning at 50 mph, swift overtake in the Cooper, then a 1/2 mile later down to 40mph limit for a village.
The overtake must have woke him from his slumber as around the first bend and a glance in the mirrors shows he is now resolutely glued to my rear bumper.
Looks like i've dented his fragile macho ego, keep calm, i just know that once out of the village he will be pedal to the metal to prove his manhood to himself once more...
Nsl again and shoots past towards the next train of cars stuck behind the lorry, swerving in and out of the traffic..
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Those that get upset with me doing 30 in a 30 zone.The pi$$er is that the stretch of road often has mobile speed cameras pointing at the overtake zone but they never get caught.. They also have to stop in traffic about 300yds further on so what was the point?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
This brings up the other odd one. The speed matching middle laner. They come up to someone else going slower, there'd room to overtake. Do they? No, they match speed and stay behind the other car. When the other car moves to lane 1, they speed up and overtake - until the reach the next person in lane 2, where they repeat again.
There's his close personal friend, the self-appointed enforcer of speed limits, too. Often to be found in the right hand lane of motorways and dual carriageways running at exactly the speed limit, his speed usually perfectly matched to the traffic in the lane next to him. There's usually room in that lane for him too but he's taking one for the team by saving all of you lawless amoral nutjobs from yourselves by stopping you doing 75mph (or worse).
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Of course they're usually basing it on their over-reading speedo too - so not even doing 70.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page