"reduce fuel duty" e-petition, govournment responce. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 02-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
"reduce fuel duty" e-petition, govournment responce.

Quote:
The underlying reasons for the Government's approach to fuel duty was set out in the previous e-petition response of 18 June 2008.

* FuelDuty99 - epetition response

The following e-petition on petrol prices was also posted shortly before the Chancellor of the Exchequer's 2008 Budget.

* cut-petrol-cost - epetition response

The Government's policy is that fuel duty rates should rise each year at least in line with inflation. This supports the Government's effort to reduce polluting emissions and assists with the funding of public services. In the Chancellor's 2008 Budget fuel duty rates were announced for future years, through to 2010-11. These increases are expected to result in carbon savings of 0.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) a year by 2010-11.

However, in the 2008 Budget the Chancellor also announced that the planned duty increase would be deferred for six months until October. The Government believes that this decision shows that it be responsive to short-term economic conditions.

Even after these changes duty rates in 2009 will still be 11% lower, in real terms (i.e. by making an appropriate adjustment to discount for inflation), than they were in 1999 - equivalent to a 7 pence per litre real reduction - and at the time of the Budget the real cost of motoring was still 13% lower than in 1999.

It remains the case that the retail price of fuel at the pump is ultimately a matter for retailers and their suppliers, and fuel duty is just one of a range of factors which determine the price paid by the motorist.
wow.... just wow.

So high fuel costs have reduced carbon emmissions? i'm impressed.

and it is cheaper that it was in 1999? And it is the retailers fault it is expensive?

Good work labour, good work. ***slow clap***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: "reduce fuel duty" e-petition, govournment responce.

have you checked the price of oil lately?
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Tosh.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

i got this by email too. Utter crap.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

This sort of response is why voters are deserting them in droves. Pure arrogance and bull Sh*t.

They could afford to cut 9p off of a litre and still get the same tax as this time last year due to the VAT on higher prices and the fact that britains crude oil can be sold at a higher price.

What the really want to say is **** you car drivers we need to rob you so that we can waste the cash on something.
Nev

Nothing like a big "**** You!" from
uk.gov to tell you how they
feel about the public.

Revolution time methinks.
A National stay-at-home
day might send them a message.

Or maybe a rush on another bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
so that we can waste the cash on something.

Wars are expensive: 7 billion isn't it?

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

I truely hate our government
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Sad state of affairs I have to agree, but I'm afraid the day's of reasonably priced motoring are long gone, unfortunately.: Hence all major parties putting forward the 'Green' image, and showing us their bikes? Need a few naughts in that bank balance nowadays to keep on 'trucking' regularly, not just one Big zero!!! Like me.:
AO Silver Member

County: -

The question is; how long can they continue to use the environment as an excuse? At some point in the future they will have to stop because they are putting strict timelines on events happening and although they can delay them for a while (take note of the so called Earth Cooling that is happening over the next 10 years lol) they cant put them off forever.

The tax the british people pay are regulated by the EU to save the planet? I'm with Al Murray on this one and think Brussels should back off. The british people should be governed by a british government i think and not told what to do by someone else. This sh*t really floats my boat and is my main concern for the future. We are struggling to pay our bills as it is and all they do is pile on the pressure. People in small independant places (like me) dont get pay rises. My pay hasnt increased for 2 years and it wont this year either because the people who run these small businesses cant afford to pay their staff anymore. Its a vicious circle that gets tighter and tighter the more it spins.

I hope I'm around to see it when realisation hits that the earth is going to be fine and that we werent actually having that big an impact on the global temp after all. I hope there is a massive evolt and that those responsible for all this crap get hung up by their nuts.

Sorry for the rant but this subject gets me wound up like a spring!
AO Platinum Member

Alfaspeed I totally agree with you. The scientific proof for global warming is not 100% conclusive, and even if it was the UK only makes 2% of the worlds CO2, and most of that comes from power stations not vehicles. Even if we cut our CO2 to zero it wouldn't make any difference.

The government has just cocked up its spending plans, and not saved any money for the coming bad times, and not it expects the people to pay for it.

The rise in car tax was another kick in the nuts for the motorist.

Gordon Brown also thinks the bad results in the elections were down to the economic downturn, and not the general tax rises.

God help us.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

I remember when no-one would admit to voting for Harold Wilson's lot.
harrythesnotgobbler

How about as we are all getting fed up with the governments of late we hatch a cunning plan of blowing up parliament, we could, as a suggestion, pack the cellars of the houses of parliament with an explosive..... a proposed date could be Nov 5th.

Last edited by harrythesnotgobbler; 04-05-08 at 19:34. Reason: too drunk to spell correctly

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythesnotgobbler View Post
How about as we are all getting fed up with the governments of late we hatch a cunning plan of blowing up parliament, we could, as a suggestion, pack the cellars of the houses of parliament with an explosive..... a proposed date could be Nov 5th.

To think we are at war in Afghanistan and Iraq to supposedly prevent things like that happening.

Another good reason to get our soldiers home.
EddieGTA

I didn't know of this story until my mum told me, but it goes someway to explain this governments underhandedness, and clawing money back in such ways as hiking road tax and fuel duty up, branding them as "green issues"

Between 99-02 while chancellor, Brown ignoring advice of major banks and precious metal traders, sold 400 Tons of the UK's gold reserves to get funds in the form of currency. He was warned this was a bad time, and sure enough since then the value of gold has trebled, effectively losing the UK £2bn.

Currency can become worthless but gold can always be traded, and the UK now has a reserve of only 315 Tons. This compares to France at 2710 and Germany at 2400. As gold always has trading value, with our diminished reserves Brown has effectivley trashed the UK's credit rating in the worlds eyes.

It is this arrogance that every member of this Labour government holds that I cannot abide. To tax the average working classes ridiculously and penalise the motorist under the pretence of the environment is one thing, but to ignore the advice of major banks on a matter like this is just unforgivable.

All the information in this post was from here, if you wish to read it and weep. I can't say I would ordinarily like Cameron, but anyone that does not vote to get Brown out needs their head seeing to.

Goldfinger Brown’s £2 billion blunder in the bullion market - Times Online

harrythesnotgobbler

Interesting that we have to vote to get him out, but we didnt vote for him directly to get in.

Nev

Don't be blaming the EU, uk.gov are
more than happy to butt rape the
great British public without any help
from Brussels.

What was my VED this year... oh yes zero.

Good point about the gold. What an idiot.
Gold always goes up during wars.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Interesting that we have to vote to get him out, but we didnt vote for him directly to get in.
Something wrong there isn't there? And he is too chicken to hold a general election.

AO Platinum Member

I was aware of him selling off half of our gold. I wish the times would re-run that story now though as I think more people would take notice of it.

The bloke is a 42 Carat [email protected], and its just a pity his father wasn't.
harrythesnotgobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I was aware of him selling off half of our gold. I wish the times would re-run that story now though as I think more people would take notice of it.

The bloke is a 42 Carat [email protected], and its just a pity his father wasn't.
Maybe he was, which is why gordon is so afraid of emissions now.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe he was, which is why gordon is so afraid of emissions now.

Very good point.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Sorry but I'm busy that night, it is Guy Fawkes night you know.
Nev

Quote:
You do know about the incitement to commit terrorist acts
law in the UK, which you have just broken?

Sleep tight.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
You do know about the incitement to commit terrorist acts
law in the UK, which you have just broken?

Sleep tight.

I wouldn't class it a terrorist act, as most people would think it was a good thing. Anyway why do we celebrate guy Fawkes night? He was after all a terrorist..
Nev

Ahh, but your forget the Nu Labour laws
that have been coming in over the last 10 years!

BBC NEWS | UK | The law and inciting terrorism

Quote:

It is an offence at common law to incite another person to commit a criminal offence, in this case the criminal offence of terrorism.

Terrorism, as defined by the Terrorism Act 2000, includes: serious violence against a person, serious damage to property, endangering a person's life - not including endangering the life of the person committing the action - creating a serious risk to the health and safety of the public, and any action designed seriously to interfere with or disrupt an electronic system.

Terrorism is particularly concerned with the following motives:

# The action must be designed to influence government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public.

# The action must be made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

AO Platinum Member

Anyway, have a look at this... Apologies if you have seen it already.

Gordon doing his own recycling..

YouTube - Gordon Brown picking his nose

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page