Pot-holes, Speed Humps and MOT's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Santhenar

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 15-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Pot-holes, Speed Humps and MOT's

We all know about the declining quality of our road surfaces, and I'm sure the local county councils are being inundated with compensation claims for broken wheels and suspension.

What has pee'd me off, though, is that I bought 2 new Firestones, for the front, last year. How long should they last, do you reckon?

Whatever your guess was, I bet it wasn't 4000 miles, was it?

I've just had my MOT and both tyres were shagged due to the tracking being out. This is down to all the unavoidable pot holes and other "furniture" on my local roads.

I can't claim, as nothing has "broken", but that's 600 in 12 months on front tyres, due to County Councils letting things deteriorate, to the degree that people are risking head-on collisions by driving to the middle of the road, to avoid all the holes.

On the plus side, I'm now on Avon zz5's and they are brilliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
How much of the improvement is due to the tyres and how much to having got the tracking sorted?

On the original rant. If only more people would report potholes as soon as they appear half the problem would go away. I will report those in my road but should I be compiling a list for the whole town because those that live opposite a pothole can't be bothered to report it?

A further thought. Should full time drivers working for local authorities etc be expected to report potholes they see in the course of their work? After all they probably cover many more miles per week than the rest of us. I am thinking of refuse collection lorries which in the course of a week must cover virtually every road in a town and could be fitted with a simple GPS based system to log any pothole seen.
There was a time when the police would report faulty traffic lights and poor road conditions but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Stan, as ambulance crew do you find the potholes a problem and would you consider reporting them?

Procrastination is the thief of time

Last edited by TonyGr; 17-05-18 at 14:52.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Some councils have stopped looking at pothole reporting sites.

Because if they don't know about the potholes they cannot be held liable for damage.

Never been a fan of Avon tyres personally.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
We're all with you Stan, is Lancashire that bad, where were the tyres worn?
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 17-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

So many questions and observations...i'll try to answer via the means of multi-quote and dance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
How much of the improvement is due to the tyres and how much to having got the tracking sorted?
I had the tracking checked at last MOT and it was deemed to be fine. In the last 3 months or so, I noticed a pull (non biased) and put it down to the ruts in the roads near me. The Firestones never really got the chance to be properly tested but, even when the tracking was ok, the ride felt very hard. The new tyres give a much softer, but planted feel to the ride

Quote:
/snip

Stan, as ambulance crew do you find the potholes a problem and would you consider reporting them?
In all honesty, Tony, although we're on the road all the time, we don't have time to pinpoint bad potholes: en-route to jobs we are usually looking out for other drivers and then en-route to hospital we are mostly doing paperwork and looking after the patient. Whoever is driving will probably warn of imminent bumps and stuff, but there's that much going on that it would be impracticable to report on road conditions. We honestly don't have time to make these types of reports. If we see a set of traffic-lights out, or anything that would cause imminent traffic problems, then we'll report that sort of thing to our control room

Extra edit: Speed bumps are the bain of our working lives. More often than not, we are on a housing estate with speed bumps every 20 yards. If that patient is in a workable peri/cardiac arrest, the speed humps severely impinge on our ability to treat, en-route to hospital, as the crew in the back of the truck are stood up and being thrown about, despite the skills of the person driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Some councils have stopped looking at pothole reporting sites.

Because if they don't know about the potholes they cannot be held liable for damage.

Never been a fan of Avon tyres personally.
Symon, I agree that Highways have absolution for unreported potholes. However, the 7 inch deep potholes on my street were reported and investigated last summer. Over the winter they were made better by an engineer who sprayed white squares around them. A month later they arranged for the local gravel yard to come and empty a truck load of small stones in various holes, hoping that it would temporarily fix the issue....People stopped complaining about the holes and started complaining about all the scratched paintwork on their cars. Once all the gravel had been dispersed, the holes returned and tyres, wheels and souls were destroyed.

I've never had Avons before, but I can honestly say that they are a more comfortable and stickier ride than the Firestones

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
We're all with you Stan, is Lancashire that bad, where were the tyres worn?

Cheers Duemila, Yes, Lancashire's roads are friggin abysmal. On the plus side, they have invested in some machines that can fix approximately 20+ small holes a day. Whether or not they can make permanent repairs, remains to be seen.
Both tyres were worn on the inside - one was down to the cord, and the other one not illegal, but not far off.

----------------

Here's an example of one of my Facebook posts, last week:

Quote:
you know the day is going to be a long one when, on arrival at hospital and opening the back doors of the truck, the patient's first words are " your driving is ****ing ****! ".
Apart from being a 60+year old knob, the patient did not know that i was driving between 20 and 30 mph in a 60 limited road, knowing that the condition of the road surface was crap (plus bends and stuff) , and knowing that I had at least 8 cars tailing me, all of them probably getting very frustrated.

I wish I'd have told the patient all this, but meh, we're not allowed and i just had to suck it up.

Last edited by stan laurel; 18-05-18 at 02:09.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I'm not sure if it's the same on the 159, but I wore through sets of tyres on the inner edge on my 145, after many recommendations of how the camber is set up from the factory and you need this camber that camber etc, I changed the front lower wishbones and have never had an issue ever since, I've had alignment and tracking done about once in ten years. Just a thought
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

GT Q2

I'd like to add, not only speed humps (God damn piece-of-s*** councils trying to justify their budgets by wrecking our cars with worthless road furniture)... But INCONSISTENT speed humps.

You know how most speed humps are either a different colour to the road they are on, or have large arrows painted on them?

Well I was turning into a motor way service station at a fairly normal speed whe- CRUNNK!

Yes. A small, black, incredibly sharp speed hump. I'm honestly amazed I didn't blow a tyre.
Shouldn't there be some kind of f***king law about how big or sharp lumps in the road can be?
stan laurel likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
Cheers Duemila, Yes, Lancashire's roads are friggin abysmal. On the plus side, they have invested in some machines that can fix approximately 20+ small holes a day. Whether or not they can make permanent repairs, remains to be seen.
Both tyres were worn on the inside - one was down to the cord, and the other one not illegal, but not far off.
Its more than just the roads and the potholes. Its partly down to the design of the lower wishbone, a bad mis-match between how its built and the aggressive tracking settings Alfa use.

How old are your lower wishbones?
AO Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santhenar View Post
Shouldn't there be some kind of f***king law about how big or sharp lumps in the road can be?
I think there is - but you'll probably find that service station access roads are owned by the service owner, ie a private road

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page