Why is it - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 50 Old 24-04-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 269
Madness Why is it

Why is it,

We in Great Britain are always getting screwed over year after year by the government, I donít believe any one enjoys paying the price of fuel, alcohol, cigarettes, etc that we pay at the moment (let alone what it will be again this time next year).

So why is there no one standing up to them and doing something about it, there has got to be someone in power who could start something up, or is it a fact that people just ignore the problem (bury there heads in the sand) and hope it goes away.

Well I am sick of it, if people could point me in the right direction I will start some petitions and things to see if anything changes we got to start some where.
Dazp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Why is it

Vote with your money! Refuse to buy the overinflated goods, arrange a trip over to Calais and stock up on the cheap stuff
BigFoot is offline  
Status: Busso Power!
AO Silver Member
 
Biscione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 2,284

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Re: Why is it

I would love to protest / go on a march/petition about the price of fuel etc. This may sound a little naive but I don't have the faintest idea on how to arrange a march or even how to join one that is set up?

I'm sure if we all started to do this the Government would stop shafting us!
Biscione is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
I would love to protest / go on a march/petition about the price of fuel etc. This may sound a little naive but I don't have the faintest idea on how to arrange a march or even how to join one that is set up?

I'm sure if we all started to do this the Government would stop shafting us!

You could try posting messages on other car forums, as well as sending messages to the national newspapers. (preferably the Anti labour ones), also car magazines such as suto express.

I would be up for a mass demonstration too.
It soundls like a good idea. Lets take a leaf out of the french people's book.

I am not usre it make much difference though at least it may be noticed.

I also think a 1 day off work a month idea would work, where everyone who needs a car for work takes off the same day in a month until it gets noticed.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
symon is offline  
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

The fuel price isn't the government's fault, it's down to the fact that globally, demand for oil is exceeding production. If they halve the duty, who would pay for the massively underfunded NHS, those teachers' pay rises, the police, the fire service and all now all the smokers are giving up and they're not paying their cash into the government pot any more? Yep, you guessed it, it'll come straight out of our wages instead. The government held off on that 2p increase on fuel duty but the price of fuel went up 3p regardless last week and will probably do the same again next week. This isn't down to the government.

People are complaining about the 10p tax rate being cut and seem to have forgotten about the years of tax credits for families with kids, the introduction and increase year on year of the minimum wage - when I started work (and I'm only 28) there was no such thing as minimum wage, you were paid what they could get away with. The right to buy schemes, house purchase schemes for worse off first time buyers. All this to help the worse off families, ignoring the rest of the country. I can't complain about my wages, I'm not married (yet) and don't have any kids. It's people like me that have been stiffed for years, now it's finally our year to take some back.
 
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

We get stiffed because we, the British public, are too lazy to do anything about it.

and when people do get off their backsides and take action about something they feel hard done by (read the teachers strike thread) they get lambasted for it.

We're a nation of eedjits and hypocrites.
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
The fuel price isn't the government's fault, it's down to the fact that globally, demand for oil is exceeding production. If they halve the duty, who would pay for the massively underfunded NHS, those teachers' pay rises, the police, the fire service and all now all the smokers are giving up and they're not paying their cash into the government pot any more? Yep, you guessed it, it'll come straight out of our wages instead. The government held off on that 2p increase on fuel duty but the price of fuel went up 3p regardless last week and will probably do the same again next week. This isn't down to the government.

People are complaining about the 10p tax rate being cut and seem to have forgotten about the years of tax credits for families with kids, the introduction and increase year on year of the minimum wage - when I started work (and I'm only 28) there was no such thing as minimum wage, you were paid what they could get away with. The right to buy schemes, house purchase schemes for worse off first time buyers. All this to help the worse off families, ignoring the rest of the country. I can't complain about my wages, I'm not married (yet) and don't have any kids. It's people like me that have been stiffed for years, now it's finally our year to take some back.

70p of the price of fuel is tax, so it must be something to do with the government. Most other countries are not taxed as much.

As for the minumum wage, it is still far too low. And as for tax credits, they are great in theory, but suffer from massive administration costs.
(and errors)
What was wrong eith the old system? Nothing is the short answer. Labour just like to meddle with things.

The thing is this government is well prepared to waste tax payers money on financing badly run banks, illegal wars, the olympics, even europe, but they won't give us taxpayers a break whilst we are feeling the pinch.

Kenneth Clarke of the previous tory Government should take credit for the economic boom. Not Gordon Brown and labour, as they inherited a growing economy when they took office. All they have done is keep the economy growing, by encouraging irresponsible spending and borrowing.

Now the coming recession is likely to be one of the worst ever IMO.
symon is offline  
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
The fuel price isn't the government's fault, it's down to the fact that globally, demand for oil is exceeding production. If they halve the duty, who would pay for the massively underfunded NHS, those teachers' pay rises, the police, the fire service and all now all the smokers are giving up and they're not paying their cash into the government pot any more? Yep, you guessed it, it'll come straight out of our wages instead. The government held off on that 2p increase on fuel duty but the price of fuel went up 3p regardless last week and will probably do the same again next week. This isn't down to the government.

People are complaining about the 10p tax rate being cut and seem to have forgotten about the years of tax credits for families with kids, the introduction and increase year on year of the minimum wage - when I started work (and I'm only 28) there was no such thing as minimum wage, you were paid what they could get away with. The right to buy schemes, house purchase schemes for worse off first time buyers. All this to help the worse off families, ignoring the rest of the country. I can't complain about my wages, I'm not married (yet) and don't have any kids. It's people like me that have been stiffed for years, now it's finally our year to take some back.
Are you for real please tell me you are kidding

Last edited by alfaspence; 24-04-08 at 08:40.
alfaspence is offline  
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
Are you for real please tell me you are kidding
Exactly what i was thinking
 
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
please tell me you are kidding
No, I stand by my posts 100%.

The government hasn't increased duty, %age wise, we are still paying the same duty on our fuel as we were when prices were below £1/litre. It's the fault of oil giants and bulk buyers willing to pay more to get the oil into the country. Crude prices have dropped but prices at the pumps haven't - it's not the government creaming it off the top here.

The worst off people have been helped out for years, ok, so let's take it back to the old system: remove the minimum wage so unscrupulous employers can rip workers off, take off the tax credits for pensioners fuel, tax credits for married couples with kids, increase in jobseekers allowance, it's been aimed at helping the worse off for years. Food prices have been going up, oil prices have rocketed, gas and water is going up, electric will be soon but this isn't purely down to the government. They're easy to blame for us feeling hard done by.

There is a lot of wastage in government spending, a heck of a lot of wastage but people complained just as much under the tories as they do under labour, there were strikes, protests, unemployment, recession, mortgages were harder to come by throughout the 80's. If the Lib Dems get in we'll complain just as much, we're damned whoever gets in really.
 
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

And they are not getting the Extra VAT on the increased price ?
 
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

Yes, they're taking more but the % hasn't changed with rising prices. The amount they take will come down if the oil industry reduces its price.

But the oil industry won't reduce it's prices because global demand for oil is so high and they can get away with charging over the odds.
 
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
No, I stand by my posts 100%.

The government hasn't increased duty, %age wise, we are still paying the same duty on our fuel as we were when prices were below £1/litre. It's the fault of oil giants and bulk buyers willing to pay more to get the oil into the country. Crude prices have dropped but prices at the pumps haven't - it's not the government creaming it off the top here.

we have known for years that crude stocks are going to run out, yes the oil giants are milking us BUT
the government IS creaming, because they havn't put their % down have they??!! fuel price goes up, so does the governments cut on an EQUAL scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
The worst off people have been helped out for years, ok, so let's take it back to the old system: remove the minimum wage so unscrupulous employers can rip workers off, take off the tax credits for pensioners fuel, tax credits for married couples with kids, increase in jobseekers allowance, it's been aimed at helping the worse off for years. Food prices have been going up, oil prices have rocketed, gas and water is going up, electric will be soon but this isn't purely down to the government. They're easy to blame for us feeling hard done by.
OK you need to seriously get your facts right here my friend.... I am ALSO 28, grew up with naff wages like you...
Iam now married and have a 3 month old son... believe me you ARE better off single i am worse off now than i ever have been. TAX CREDIT? what chuffin TAX CREDIT? we are entitled to vertually nowt You have to be single to get decent, worth having benifits
iam fortunate enough to get an anual wage rise, but because of lack of funding from central GOVERNMENT my local council rinsed my rise this year (2%) with a 4% rise on council tax a week later thats without rises on other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
There is a lot of wastage in government spending, a heck of a lot of wastage but people complained just as much under the tories as they do under labour, there were strikes, protests, unemployment, recession, mortgages were harder to come by throughout the 80's. If the Lib Dems get in we'll complain just as much, we're damned whoever gets in really.
Wastage? yeah they over pay themselves, send money abroad, not to mention the large amount of people coming in via the embarrassing "open door" policy need i say more

spence

The BORED ©ô No 6. The old 75'er no 2

The BORED Collective ©ô
alfaspence is offline  
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
OK you need to seriously get your facts right here my friend.... I am ALSO 28, grew up with naff wages like you...
Iam now married and have a 3 month old son... believe me you ARE better off single i am worse off now than i ever have been. TAX CREDIT? what chuffin TAX CREDIT? we are entitled to vertually nowt You have to be single to get decent, worth having benifits
I know I'm better off as I am, that's why I'm never having kids.

So who are getting these tax credit the news keep harping on about? You're married with kids and not seeing them, I'm engaged without kids and not seen a single tax break. You say you're entitled to virtually nowt, does that mean absolutely nowt or does that mean you're getting tax breaks?

What benefits are these single people get? I'd love to cash in on a few of these before we get married.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
not to mention the large amount of people coming in via the embarrassing "open door" policy need i say more
I strongly believe we're only in the situation with the open door policy because the country had an excess of jobs for eastern Europeans willing to do them. If the million or so unemployed Brits did the jobs we wouldn't have so many people pouring in through the open door.
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Why is it

I think the main reason why British people won't do the lower paid jobs is bacause they cannot afford to live on the wages.

Think about it, eastern europeans are willing to share 5 or 6 people plus in a 2 or 3 bedroom house. They then share the rent so that their cost of living is so much lower.

I see it in my area all of the time, but the rent is quite high where I live.
symon is offline  
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
I know I'm better off as I am, that's why I'm never having kids.
never say never! they are awsome (but don't have too many! my wife and i have agreed NO more than 2 (if we survive well enough with one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
So who are getting these tax credit the news keep harping on about? You're married with kids and not seeing them, I'm engaged without kids and not seen a single tax break. You say you're entitled to virtually nowt, does that mean absolutely nowt or does that mean you're getting tax breaks?
Those that earn less than 15k a year! (i only earn 18K, which barely covers things) if you can call about 20 quid a break then yeah we do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
What benefits are these single people get? I'd love to cash in on a few of these before we get married.
only one i know of (without kids) is the single occupent 25% discount on council tax which i no longer get of cource
if your single with a kid on the other hand.... we worked out that with all the benifits my wifes mate gets, she brings home more than me per week!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
I strongly believe we're only in the situation with the open door policy because the country had an excess of jobs for eastern Europeans willing to do them. If the million or so unemployed Brits did the jobs we wouldn't have so many people pouring in through the open door.

Yes i have a mate whos one of those dole bludgers too, can't hold a job down because he's too idle to get up in the morning (some of those jobs pay 30k + per year and i'd give a limb for)
And hes happy just to watch each day merge into the next
alfaspence is offline  
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

It's not that they can't afford to survive, they know they'll get just as much money sitting in front of the TV claiming the dole. At uni, the student loan was £3k a year and we got by just fine it's way below minimum wage but we all managed to pay our bills, rent and get p****d up every single night, we didn't have the latest fashions, cars, Sky, but we had a laugh. It was good fun house sharing, plenty of mates are still doing it.

Did you see the program on the influx of eastern Europeans when they walked through a job centre and asked people if they fancied fruit picking? Not one person said yes, they were holding out for that job in IT or not what they fancied on the day. If people are allowed to pick and choose like that, no wonder people from other countries will come in and snap our hands off for the opportunity.

If I was in power there would be none of that! If someone isn't physically or mentally able to work then fair enough, if they can work, get out there and chip in with the rest of us.
 
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I think the main reason why British people won't do the lower paid jobs is bacause they cannot afford to live on the wages.
probably, but not in the case of my mate
alfaspence is offline  
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
It's not that they can't afford to survive, they know they'll get just as much money sitting in front of the TV claiming the dole. At uni, the student loan was £3k a year and we got by just fine it's way below minimum wage but we all managed to pay our bills, rent and get p****d up every single night, we didn't have the latest fashions, cars, Sky, but we had a laugh. It was good fun house sharing, plenty of mates are still doing it.

Did you see the program on the influx of eastern Europeans when they walked through a job centre and asked people if they fancied fruit picking? Not one person said yes, they were holding out for that job in IT or not what they fancied on the day. If people are allowed to pick and choose like that, no wonder people from other countries will come in and snap our hands off for the opportunity.

If I was in power there would be none of that! If someone isn't physically or mentally able to work then fair enough, if they can work, get out there and chip in with the rest of us.
Now thats better dude
alfaspence is offline  
Dibby
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
never say never! they are awsome (but don't have too many! my wife and i have agreed NO more than 2 (if we survive well enough with one)
Honestly, never, I prefer cars to kids, you can't fix a kid with a hammer! Mates around me are starting to have them, they're just not for me ... and she thinks the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
Those that earn less than 15k a year! ... only one i know of (without kids) is the single occupent 25% discount on council tax
That was my original point, it's the ones down the lower end of the scale who are getting the breaks. I know I came across a bit harsh but every year you hear about the poor being helped out, unemployed being given more and more, and us lot who want to climb the ladder and get on with a career could get more if we stay where we are.
Students also got a tax break on council tax but then they have to live off £3k a year that will have to be paid back at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
Yes i have a mate whos one of those dole bludgers too, can't hold a job down because he's too idle to get up in the morning (some of those jobs pay 30k + per year and i'd give a limb for)
And hes happy just to watch each day merge into the next
Makes you sick doesn't it. Seeing people taking more home at the end of the week knowing our income tax is paying for it. Bit of cash in hand? Loveable rogue? There's some in my family and I can't stand it.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
70p of the price of fuel is tax, so it must be something to do with the government. Most other countries are not taxed as much.

What was wrong eith the old system? Nothing is the short answer. Labour just like to meddle with things.

The thing is this government is well prepared to waste tax payers money on financing badly run banks, illegal wars, the olympics, even europe, but they won't give us taxpayers a break whilst we are feeling the pinch.

Kenneth Clarke of the previous tory Government should take credit for the economic boom. Not Gordon Brown and labour, as they inherited a growing economy when they took office. All they have done is keep the economy growing, by encouraging irresponsible spending and borrowing.

Now the coming recession is likely to be one of the worst ever IMO.
Hear hear. In 1997, everybody was fooled into thinking things would change. New Labour realised they were inheriting a booming economy and didn't change very much for a few years, apart from robbing our pensions (Gordon Brown has a £5m pension fund, so he's ok though) so they could take the credit.

Since then, instead of being honest and raising income tax to cover their overspending, they have increased taxes to the highest levels in over thirty years using sneaky stealth taxes in the hope we wouldn't notice and get rid of them at the polls. So far, they've got away with it, but the feeling I get from people I know now is that we've all had enough.

I'm not sure the Tories will do any better to be honest, but I'll vote for them next time just to get rid of the current lot. Just like everybody did the other way round in '97! Oh dear...

Ian
icarlisle is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
badgers_nadgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 7,154

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: Why is it

The government's tax and waste policy has led us here IMO.
badgers_nadgers is offline  
Status: 159 Hunted......
AO Platinum Member
 
dpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 32,436
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
The fuel price isn't the government's fault, it's down to the fact that globally, demand for oil is exceeding production
Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
70p of the price of fuel is tax, so it must be something to do with the government. Most other countries are not taxed as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarlisle View Post
Since then, instead of being honest and raising income tax to cover their overspending, they have increased taxes to the highest levels in over thirty years using sneaky stealth taxes in the hope we wouldn't notice and get rid of them at the polls. So far, they've got away with it, but the feeling I get from people I know now is that we've all had enough.

Government could reduce tax on fuel - it's the dearest in Europe, what's more is this is the only country where diesel is dearer then petrol - why? probably because Mr Brown saw the trend for people buying diesel cars and said; 'I'll have some of that tax please.......'

However since his back down on the 10p tax issue, he is looking a little shaky...........is it time for bye bye Brown
dpat is offline  
Status: dossing
AO Silver Member
 
alfaspence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 2,749
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Honestly, never, I prefer cars to kids, you can't fix a kid with a hammer! Mates around me are starting to have them, they're just not for me ... and she thinks the same
thats fair nuff dude, each to their own (we do have some freedoms left )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
That was my original point, it's the ones down the lower end of the scale who are getting the breaks. I know I came across a bit harsh but every year you hear about the poor being helped out, unemployed being given more and more, and us lot who want to climb the ladder and get on with a career could get more if we stay where we are.
oh yes! because we are ok as we are aint we (cheers mr Brown, just encourage dole bludgers and single parent families, that'll give us a strong economy whilst those of us who do want to be proud to be British and get on in life can swivel)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Students also got a tax break on council tax but then they have to live off £3k a year that will have to be paid back at the end.
i remember those days, but i was on YTS 29 quid per week, where was my break then? i aggree they get help, but youngsters are this countries future, they need encouragment to train and get a career (not doss in a dead end job) (or coast on the dole )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Makes you sick doesn't it. Seeing people taking more home at the end of the week knowing our income tax is paying for it. Bit of cash in hand? Loveable rogue? There's some in my family and I can't stand it.
I have to ignore it otherwise i snap...


Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
The government's tax and waste policy has led us here IMO.
Regardless of how much you dance around the issue, theres ALOT of truth in BN's statement
alfaspence is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Why is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
The government's tax and waste policy has led us here IMO.
We also no longer have a boom and bust economy. This time it is borrow and bust.

I think boom and bust cycles are an inherent part of modern economics, and there is little that can be done to avoid them. We did manage to avoid a recession in 2001 whilst the rest of the world slumped as we kept borrowing money and spending.. However this has probably only delayed the inevitable, and this time things will be worse. People have already borrowed more than they can afford to.

What also annoys me also is that the government wants to help out those who have borrowed beyond their means to buy overpriced houses at the expense of other taxpayers who have been careful and responsible. The banks are also responsible for being prepared to lend these people the money.

If people keep borrowing more and more money the prices will continue to rise and so the cycle continues..
symon is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome