fuel prices - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 23-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
fuel prices

why is there no outcry about fuel prices? they seem to go up every week-diesel is now 1.22.9 a litre on the A303-last time I looked at that garage it was 117!
And WHY IS DIESEL NOW 10 PERCENT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN UNLEADED??????????
Back in recent history unleaded was 93-94p ish, diesel was 97-98...a difference of (mental arithmetic) about 3%-where on earth has this discrepancy come from?
Is the government trying to discourage us from buying diesel cars now?
It makes the diesel/petrol choice a lot less straightforward when looking at car suitability......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 29 Old 23-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Re: fuel prices

whoo-hoo!
100 posts......
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Congrats on 100

Your fuel prices are outrageous, we pay more for Diesel too but are at $1.28cdn a litre, almost half your price($2.46)cdn. Taxes must be even worse over there.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I don't exactly know the British government's stance but as more motorists buy diesel cars, which consume less fuel than petrol cars, the amount of fuel purhcased tends to be lower, hence lowering tax revenues.

So, in order to maintain the tax revenue base, I wouldn't be surprised to see that governments raise the tax on diesel, so that on a £ for £ basis, their income is stable (or rises).

My tuppence.
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

Diesel 1.45 per litre at the Rix Garage in Kirkaldy Fife
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Diesel 1.45 per litre at the Rix Garage in Kirkaldy Fife
Thats shocking - he will be out of business soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by realslimshady View Post
Is the government trying to discourage us from buying diesel cars now?
It's not the government that is setting these high prices, it's a simple effect of supply and demand. There is far more global need for fuel than there was 10 years ago and production hasn't increased to cope. The government could slash fuel duty to bring the price down to below 1/litre but that would leave a huge hole in the budget to be filled by other means - road tax? Income tax? It'll have to come from somewhere.

Predictions have it that prices will stop increasing at 1.60/litre. I'm expecting it to start levelling out about 2.00

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

The government taxes Diesel the same as it does petrol.
A barrel of oil contains around half the amount of diesel than petrol, so that probably explains the price difference. Demand for diesel has also risen as fuel prices have risen.

I predict that Diesel will continue to rise at a faster rate than unleaded, to a point where the additional MPG you get from Diesel car will be offset by the additional fuel cost.

Bring on a real alternative to oil I say. Lets hope that hydrogen technology advances at a fast rate. then we can stick 2 fingers up to the oil companies (and the government as they won't be able to easily tax water).

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

RED156 vel.FiXED

there is aworldwide shaortage of diesel pushing prices up ( fire ina refinary in the US)

By the end yera the should be the same or less
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Bring on a real alternative to oil I say. Lets hope that hydrogen technology advances at a fast rate. then we can stick 2 fingers up to the oil companies (and the government as they won't be able to easily tax water).
They will tax water ! same way as they will find a way to tax the air you breathe, nothing is beyond this bunch of parasites

Dibby

It would be nice but it's still a long way off, the energy required to get the hydrogen in the first place and the risk of hydrogen being release to the atmosphere has caused environmental concerns, when they sort that out, bring it on!

Personally I wouldn't like the country to jump on the bandwaggon too soon as shown by the drive for biofuels leading to increased deforestation and the food vs fuel argument that is currently raging.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Thats shocking - he will be out of business soon
He deserves to go out of business,there is making a profit and then there is greed

D

I didhear on the radio yday some self confessed boffin predict that within a year petrol will hit the £3 a litre mark.

Thats me off the road for sure. Better get that old bike out the shed greased up i think.
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

if you subscribe to Free UK fuel prices. 9,703 petrol stations covered - PetrolPrices.com it will show you the cheapest in a local area...

one thing i do not understand:
In Reading i can buy fuel today (from the Shell in winnersh road) for 105.9p but in Farborough i can only find it as cheap as 109.9p and have seen it for as much as 111.4 (where does the .4 come from anyway?!)
why is it cheaper to buy it in Reading, and infact cheaper to drive/ride to Reading to fuel up. if it was the other way round i would understand for the reason of Rent etc...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r111yun View Post
I didhear on the radio yday some self confessed boffin predict that within a year petrol will hit the 3 a litre mark.

Thats me off the road for sure. Better get that old bike out the shed greased up i think.

If it does rise to 3 a litre, that would mean I was paying 500 a month for petrol. I will have to quit my job as I wouldn't be able to afford to get here.

Then there would be the knock on price rises on everything else.
Dibby

But would you have any other choice symon? There are plenty of things to sacrifice first before putting your livelihood at risk ... the internet for one, sell that Fiat Coupe for a 1-litre runabout while the price is high.

There are plenty of options, it's not as clear cut as high fuel price = loss of job.

I doubt £3 a ltr will be seen as also the £2 mark because if it reaches that much I will hang the keys up forever and do the shopping on the Internet
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT

Over 70% of UK fuel price is tax. If the Government was to stop paying nearly 100 million per week into an EU system that most of the UK population don't want then the price of fuel could drop the the real price it should be.
Dibby

There's plenty of things I don't want my money going towards, like benefits to lazy s0ds who have a million kids each and can't be bothered to work, David Cameron charging £500 a pop for his bike to be services, foreign wars, bailing out banks for irresponsible lending and the public's irresponsible borrowing, MPs house expenses ... but we don't have a choice, the public voted them in and they waste our money, we vote someone else in and they'll carry on pouring our money away.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
as they won't be able to easily tax water).
Please post some of your optimism to me, I sure need it !

Local water company already making a start on this. Water meters work fine for me but wouldn't it be so easy to make them compulsory and put a tax on your usage. We'd pay more to stay at home and smell worse !!
(Post Link) post #21 of 29 Old 23-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddwiss View Post
Over 70% of UK fuel price is tax. If the Government was to stop paying nearly 100 million per week into an EU system that most of the UK population don't want then the price of fuel could drop the the real price it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
There's plenty of things I don't want my money going towards, like benefits to lazy s0ds who have a million kids each and can't be bothered to work, David Cameron charging 500 a pop for his bike to be services, foreign wars, bailing out banks for irresponsible lending and the public's irresponsible borrowing, MPs house expenses ... but we don't have a choice, the public voted them in and they waste our money, we vote someone else in and they'll carry on pouring our money away.
That's the real crux of the matter. How I wish for the ability to deliver a resounding slap around the face to every politician who trots out the stock phrase 'for environmental reasons' (Alistair Darling at the last budget, for example) to justify their latest tax on motoring-when we know as well as they do that they need more money to fund their increasingly profligate and pointless spending on such worthy causes as 5-a-day monitors and the 2012 Olympics.....
They think that they can price us off the road, but continue themselves to be driven around in comfort, but for some of us there is no option but to drive-my situation, for example-permanent rotating nightshift at Heathrow (not much public transport from LHR to Andover 4.30 on a sunday morning) and the fact I have to stay within school run distance of Devizes so I can get my children there on schooldays when I'm duty parent...
Do those people think I enjoy filling my fuel tank (73 last time) every week?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 13:43. Reason: ...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
But would you have any other choice symon? There are plenty of things to sacrifice first before putting your livelihood at risk ... the internet for one, sell that Fiat Coupe for a 1-litre runabout while the price is high.

There are plenty of options, it's not as clear cut as high fuel price = loss of job.

Even if I was to get myself a 1 litre car, it would probably do around 50mpg. I get around 30mpg from my coupe when driven sensibly, so that still works out a 300 a month for fuel @ 3 a litre.

I could move closer to work but I would then have to pay more for rent so I wouldn't be much better off. There are not many jobs in my town unless you want to join the RAF, so working in my town is not really Viable.

Maybe some employers would be willing to let their employees work less days per week, but do more hours per day. I would happily do 12.5 hours a day in exchange for doing a 3 day week. That way I could still get my 37.5 hours in.

the biggest issue I can see is fuel theft ( having a full tank is like having a bank vault full of dosh ) and its already started
Dibby

There's a £200 a month saving, that's better than nowt.

Top be honest I'd be willing to ride a scooter in the rain (and put up with the laughs) rather than let my family suffer if I couldn't afford the fuel.

Employers might be forced into letting staff work flexi-time, work from home more, longer hours per day and less days at work. There's always a way round problems.

Her brother's in a hard up situation and got the point where he sold the family car and had to ride to work on a hairdryer and fair play to him for it. He could have jacked the lot in, gone on the dole, worked cash-in-hand and ended up with more at the end of the month but he didn't, he wanted to provide for his family and wouldn't give in to the system.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page