Wasting petrol.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 21-04-08 Thread Starter

Wasting petrol..

Ok I have been thinking about something for a while which i find very annoying at petrol stations and i reckon a simple device could be invented quite easily..

Ok he goes.

Whenever you fill up your car, theres always that little bit of dribble that comes out the nozzel, even if you really try to shake it (ok ok stop giggling at the back, this is serious ), still a bit always drips out, if your not careful loads can dribble out....... now look at petrol stations, look down around the pumps, loads of petrol leakeage all over, not only dangerous but wastful!!!! in this day and age of high priceses for fuel and heath and safty, why is no one sorting this out... Hell my Spider even has a design feature of a rubber 'sheild' to stop the drips going down your car.... you look at disel cars alot have have fuel leakage down the sides especailly the vans..

You add up the millions of people filling up cars daily in britain, and add up even each small thimble full of 'dribble' from petrol nozzel, thats alot of petrol wasted over a week , month and a huge ammont over the year.... And who pays for this ultimatly...we do.

The petrol companies probably don't care they still get paid for it, oil companies wont care. Maybe someone should..

Thanks for reading if you have, i'm quite serious about this wasteage and a solution. Let me know if anyone feels the same, or even if this has ever been dicussed before or in place abroad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Wasting petrol..

Always make sure the end of the nozzle points skyward unless its in the tank. And after you've finished fuelling, make sure you lift the tubing higher than the end of the nozzle, and the fuel you have paid for that is left in the lines will empty into your tank
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
the fuel you have paid for that is left in the lines will empty into your tank
And get you another few yards
Darren156

I miss my Fiat Coupe

It had a top fuel cap mount ala Audi TT

No dribbles for me Sir!

Now I've got a 156 again though, so the dribbles continues,

Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
And get you another few yards
Or, get you there a few tenths of a second faster
AO Member

There is an anti drip nozzle that is fitted to some diesel pumps , they have a small magnet in the end that closes when the delivery is complete, and it works really well on the sites I have fitted them too, problem is they cost a bit more than the standard zva nozzle so people dont go for them, mad really when as you say the mess and cost of detergent to clean it up would soon pay for it.

This type of nozzle is not suitable for unleaded petrol unfortunately , but the dribbles as you mention are from the sealing poppet inside the nozzle being worn, a new or recon one doesn't leak
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Never have that problem, just be more careful !!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
the dribbles as you mention are from the sealing poppet inside the nozzle being worn, a new or recon one doesn't leak
You sound like you know what you're talking about, so I'm loathe to disagree, but my local petrol station was only rebuilt a month or so ago and their brand new pumps dribble.

I just lift the hose up - that seems to do the trick

Chris
(Post Link) post #10 of 34 Old 22-04-08 Thread Starter

Yeah i understand i can stop it myself via lifting up the nozzel, but not everyone does and if you could somehow add up amount of dripped fuel across the the country then it would amount to a huge amount of fuel that jsut goes to waste then gets washed away into the drains which in turn effect the water systems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
Yeah i understand i can stop it myself via lifting up the nozzel, but not everyone does and if you could somehow add up amount of dripped fuel across the the country then it would amount to a huge amount of fuel that jsut goes to waste then gets washed away into the drains which in turn effect the water systems....
No there are strict rules governing petrol/diesel tanks as to prevent polution, surly most of the petrol evaporates off after a while...
Dibby

Do fuel stations have to gave oil traps in their drains like fast food restaurants have to include grease traps in their drains?

There must be measures to stop a big fuel spill at a filling station reaching the watercourse

AO Member

Yes there are strict rules with regards to pollution, but you will be suprised at how many sites don't concentrate on the fuel side and concentrate on the shop, as that is where they make their money. But your right the petrol evaporates off, the diesel creeps all over the place.

With regards to the new pumps most Asda and Tesco sites whilst being the busiest in the country use refurb pumps as they have the service companies dancing to their tune, so they rarely buy new, and the refurb nozzles we buy now are poor compared to what they used to be , hence why they are probably still weeping fuel.

There is an optimum angle that the nozzles work at , and it never ceases to amaze me to see people holding the nozzle at funny angles and hearing the cutout on the nozzle going click click click , but as someone above mentioned holding the nozzle at an angle once your done will drain most of the drips.

Also be aware that at most supermarket sites you will not be getting the full measure. For instance on a 20litre test measure they can legally sell you 20 litres but you actually receive 19.97 litres . This is an extreme example but they can afford to pay firms to go round their sites cutting back the meters on the pumps that normally wear and give out slightly more. All the wee bits the save on the volumes they are selling adds up to a lot of fuel. Smaller sites cant afford to do this as it costs £80 per meter to adjust (weights and measures fees) and for them to recoup the £80 fee from the fuel sales would take a year on some of the smaller sites.
Nev

Maybe this guy likes the "drips"...

Garage bans gas guzzler | The Sun |HomePage|News

Sorry about the "Scum" linky.

I remember that story....bizarre
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Yes there are strict rules with regards to pollution, but you will be suprised at how many sites don't concentrate on the fuel side and concentrate on the shop, as that is where they make their money. But your right the petrol evaporates off, the diesel creeps all over the place.

With regards to the new pumps most Asda and Tesco sites whilst being the busiest in the country use refurb pumps as they have the service companies dancing to their tune, so they rarely buy new, and the refurb nozzles we buy now are poor compared to what they used to be , hence why they are probably still weeping fuel.

There is an optimum angle that the nozzles work at , and it never ceases to amaze me to see people holding the nozzle at funny angles and hearing the cutout on the nozzle going click click click , but as someone above mentioned holding the nozzle at an angle once your done will drain most of the drips.

Also be aware that at most supermarket sites you will not be getting the full measure. For instance on a 20litre test measure they can legally sell you 20 litres but you actually receive 19.97 litres . This is an extreme example but they can afford to pay firms to go round their sites cutting back the meters on the pumps that normally wear and give out slightly more. All the wee bits the save on the volumes they are selling adds up to a lot of fuel. Smaller sites cant afford to do this as it costs £80 per meter to adjust (weights and measures fees) and for them to recoup the £80 fee from the fuel sales would take a year on some of the smaller sites.
Do you work for Gilbarco/Veeder Root?
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Always make sure the end of the nozzle points skyward unless its in the tank. And after you've finished fuelling, make sure you lift the tubing higher than the end of the nozzle, and the fuel you have paid for that is left in the lines will empty into your tank
A true Yorkshireman !
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Do you work for Gilbarco/Veeder Root?
no same job and some, I work for myself
(Post Link) post #19 of 34 Old 22-04-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Maybe this guy likes the "drips"...

Garage bans gas guzzler | The Sun |HomePage|News

Sorry about the "Scum" linky.
Expensive habit that............if he paid for it.....
AO Member

At least he won't get lead poisoning
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
A true Yorkshireman !

You've gotta watch out, everyone's out to rob you these days
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Quote:
And after you've finished fuelling, make sure you lift the tubing higher than the end of the nozzle, and the fuel you have paid for that is left in the lines will empty into your tank
errrrr-how's that then? the fuel delivery stops at the nozzle.....the fuel in the pipe will stay there unless you have the nozzle open...in which case the pump will continue to pump...
shaking is the only option!
Dibby

^^ True.
Holding the hose higher than the nozzle is one of these urban myths like flashing your lights at the motion sensors on traffic lights makes them change quicker.

Always shake the drips off, you don't want splashes down your trousers now do you!

AO Member

the only time youll get splashes of petrol is if the nozzle is faulty, the hose pipework right back to the meter in the pump are full all the time , or else the next person along would get a couple of litres of air before the fuel comes through.

You may notice that the pump hesitates sometimes when you start the delivery but that is from the fuel in the pipe under the ground either running back to the tank or a dip in the line , then the pump will 99% of the time get rid of the air and deliver the petrol.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
Ok I have been thinking about something for a while which i find very annoying at petrol stations and i reckon a simple device could be invented quite easily..

Ok he goes.

Whenever you fill up your car, theres always that little bit of dribble that comes out the nozzel, even if you really try to shake it (ok ok stop giggling at the back, this is serious ), still a bit always drips out, if your not careful loads can dribble out....... now look at petrol stations, look down around the pumps, loads of petrol leakeage all over, not only dangerous but wastful!!!! in this day and age of high priceses for fuel and heath and safty, why is no one sorting this out... Hell my Spider even has a design feature of a rubber 'sheild' to stop the drips going down your car.... you look at disel cars alot have have fuel leakage down the sides especailly the vans..

You add up the millions of people filling up cars daily in britain, and add up even each small thimble full of 'dribble' from petrol nozzel, thats alot of petrol wasted over a week , month and a huge ammont over the year.... And who pays for this ultimatly...we do.

The petrol companies probably don't care they still get paid for it, oil companies wont care. Maybe someone should..

Thanks for reading if you have, i'm quite serious about this wasteage and a solution. Let me know if anyone feels the same, or even if this has ever been dicussed before or in place abroad....

Aye.. but you have a Spider (2.0 ltrs and 16v). If you had a Fiat Panda, 1.2 "Active" you would personally save ALL the fuel that was wasted from the dribbles, so we can keep our gas guzzlers!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page