Big Brother apps - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By silverevo
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 1 Post By Ralf S.

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 02-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Big Brother apps

Ive sort of had my say on this in other threads but today I was so taken back today that I thought it needed a thread of its own.

Its like this, I wanted to check if my trains are running tomorrow and at my local station the notice board said check the website or download the app. So I thought why not download the timetable app for my areas train company as it might be a bit more up to date than the national one. I go onto playstore, find the app and hit install only to be warned that the app needed access to the following

1. location
2. photos/media/files
3. WiFi connection information
4. device ID & call information

OK so I get location, that could help the app to fill in a box as to where I might be travelling from and save me 5 seconds typing it in manually. But Photos? my WiFi details and who I've been calling? WTF, why do they need that? Its only a sodding timetable, albeit a slightly fancy one. What on earth do they need to look at my picture for and why do they need to know who I've called so that I can find out what time the next train is? The trouble is I cant install the app without giving them these permissions so obviously I haven't.

I cant understand why they are allowed to gather information like this in the first place. Surely there should be rules out there about data collection that stops train companies and the like unnecessarily spying on your daily life.

Those Amazon Echo things too? Why would you?
Toronto Spider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
all part of the "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear" mentality.

Let's face it, the days of having real personal info privacy are long gone.

Unless you want to live off-grid, in a forest hut, composting your own faeces somewhere.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

We need a campaign. The law is miles behind on this, and there's an added problem which is that most data gatherers and intruders are furriners (usually in the USA) who are more difficult to regulate, and work in a culture of "commerce trumps all."

Parliament will cotton on one day, but by then they'll be attempting to unravel an even bigger mess than we have now. Hopefully the EU will lead and the UK will be able to tag along behind.

As for your solution, GrimJeeper, I've visited Dartford and don't want to live there.
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Modern Androids will allow you to change the permissions of the app after installation.
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 13-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

I'm on a roll now. Started a new job in London yesterday, got home and was scanning through my instagram feed ( looking at nice pictures of Alfas of course ) when an advert appeared for the coffee shop two doors away from my new job offering me a free orange juice in the morning. OK so I thought must have left my location permissions on, so I checked and no I have disabled location permissions so in theory they shouldnt have been able to know where I was right? You cant tell me that was a coincidence. But wait it gets worse, today in my new job I was discussing with a colleague the merits of a certain brand and model of a 3D printer. Now if you are into this world you will know there are now hundreds of different manufaturers these days and each day a new startup appears. Well I get home tonight after switching off all permissions last night and guess what, scrolling down my feed and the first advert to appear was for the very same 3D printer I had been discussing 3 hours earlier. Never had an advert for 3D printers before and certainly havent been searching for them on my phone in any way. If thats not creepy and if thats happening surely a bit illegal. I know I sound a bit paranoid now and I will have to agree with you, but ths actually happened so I know I'm not going a bit mental.

It doesnt end there though. I decided to delete my account, after all it really is a pile of ****e anyway. So its deleted and I thought I should check they really had by trying to log in. I get this message appear ' sorry we have deleted your account for violating our terms and conditions'. Cheeky MF's, I violated their terms? how about you violating my privacy ? Im just glad I made that decision and now packing my bags to go live in that forest, I'm going off grid....
AO Platinum Member

Find their office and stand outside with a can of petrol. Guaranteed you won't get any ad's for matches..

Ralf S.
silverevo likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Part of Google's T&C and default behaviour is you allow the phone to log onto random WiFi and it then gets position/shop details from that.
Keep your WiFi properly turned off.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
We need a campaign. As for your solution, GrimJeeper, I've visited Dartford and don't want to live there.
Cannot be any worse than Ramsden estate or Star Lane, St. Mary Cray!

Totally agree with op. But unfortunately very difficult to avoid this type of intrusion. One reason why I'm reluctant to use iCloud, all that data is held in multiple locations and once there impossible to delete.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
It's one of the reasons I prefer iphones. You pay money for the hardware, rather than getting it subsidised by the advertising revenue you are generating. It may have changed, but I remember similar demands for broad access when I was configuring my wife's 'droid. We've binned it - too unreliable and too intrusive.

Anyone who lets and Alexa/Echo/Dash button etc in their house is not thinking though the consequences.

My general approach is to observe what cross-site leaks have happened (so seeing adverts on Site A that are relevant to activity on Site B) and plug them. Though with 2 levels of ad-blocking, I don't actually see that many ads.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
GDPR, efective 25th May, says that data must be gathered only for specific purposes and that services must not be conditional on your agreement. All big tech companies have a gory record of slurping everything they can get their hands on so they can work out how to monetise it later.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
It's one of the reasons I prefer iphones. You pay money for the hardware, rather than getting it subsidised by the advertising revenue you are generating. It may have changed
Stop kidding yourself.
They all do it. iPhones have been tracking owners since at least 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Apple T&Cs
Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I just expect big brother...nothing is secret anymore.....just accept it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
True, however it is getting out of hand, things like copping off mapping

Not forgetting secret military base detecting

Etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
True, however it is getting out of hand, things like copping off mapping

Not forgetting secret military base detecting

Etc.
Never gonna stop it...unless we have something to hide ??
rxe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Stop kidding yourself.
They all do it. iPhones have been tracking owners since at least 2011.
Yes, tracking their owners, but not giving unanonymised data to Doubleclick and the gang. So of course, when I give Waze (owned by Google) permission to use my location, it knows where I am. I am moderately confident it doesn’t know who I am, and is unable to relate me via any other activity. It can’t see my photos, contacts, wi-fi etc. If you use Waze on a ‘droid, Google can precisely link your browsing activity to your location, and if you have a gmail account, they know who your friends are, and who your contacts are.

You are literally butt-naked with a ‘droid. With an iPhone you at least have a somewhat second hand pair of underpants to cover you.
AO Platinum Member

I think you are being naive about what Apple does with you data. And also the idea that somehow because they are able to convince people to shell out a grand for $200 worth of electronics that they will not then sell on your data for even more profit.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/02/03/ap...android-gains/
rxe
AO Silver Member

That report is not about selling data. It is about attractive apps and the like.

The evidence I need is simply gathered. Unless I block cookies, I expect a device to retain data about my browsing habits. So when I look for (say) Alfa 156 suspension arms, I expect to see ads about cars on that device. What I don’t expect to happen is that on another device, I get the ads. This NEVER happens to me. It used to happen to my wife all the time - she used Android. She’d be searching for something, I’d be using the desktop that she uses for Gmail - and I’d be getting ads relevant to what she was looking for.

If you are browsing on an Android, or using an app on an Android, Google know precisely who you are, and will deliver targeted ads to any device that you use google services on.
AO Platinum Member

Only if you have signed into Chrome.
rxe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Only if you have signed into Chrome.
Nope, this happens regardless of your chrome sign in. Android is completely porous when it comes do data...
AO Member

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

I use Orbot on my smartphone, then you can use VPN server(s) it makes you incognito so they dont know who you are etc.
It uses proxy servers etc.

https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot/

You can use it for Windows and Apple to (Tor)

https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

You can atach any app to it, and it keeps it in check.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Nope, this happens regardless of your chrome sign in. Android is completely porous when it comes do data...
I must have set it all up wrong then.

Although to be fair I just assume the Chinese are slurping data from my phone and use it accordingly.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
"To be fair" you say?
Nothing is fair nowadays. Your data is a revenue source. Why has all Stelvio activity from this site now on the new site run by our Canadian friends who run AOwner?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page