:mad: Eco Towns - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 17-04-08 Thread Starter

:mad: Eco Towns

OK, so they've not only put a proposal to build on Curborough Sprint track in the Midlands onto the shortlist, but also they want to build one of these Eco towns across the road from my house in West Sussex - on the site that stopped being an airfield at Ford in 1959.

And of course there's nothing really Eco about it - this is a rehash of a planning application turned down a year or two ago. Only this time it has cycle tracks! Oh and space for 4000 jobs - even though there are empty offices and warehouses within 1/2 a mile. And three schools.

If this goes ahead there will be no green space between the South Downs and the coast from Peacehaven to Portsmouth. The Local Council does not want this - they are regenerating Bognor and Littlehampton and this will just move development away from those existing towns to the new one. Our roads can't cope as it is - and yet the Developers are trying to con us into thinking that these new people will not want cars. Yeah right

Please sign our petition: Petition to: Remove Ford in West Sussex from the list of proposed Eco Towns.

Last edited by GeoffDixon; 17-04-08 at 06:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: :mad: Eco Towns

I'd sign it but I am not a British citizen nor resident
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 17-04-08 Thread Starter

Thanks anyway!
AlfaLincs

You can all vote for the Eco town that is proposed to be built on the old Manby airfield in Lincolnshire.

Trouble is there's no jobs up here, so the only thing Eco will be the Echo ......round all the empty houses not using any energy. Then they will become 'social housing', and all the undesirables from Grimsby will float their way there and find what is currently a nice village, with no facilities and one small coop..but it has a Post Office...well it had the last time I went there. Then the crime rate will go up, and the vandalism..and so on and so on.

To think it used to be the College of Air Warfare as well

I'd move to Ford...just as long as I can bring my little boaty with me and go sailing at Sussex by the Sea...I mean the South is not crowded.....is it????

AlfaLincs

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 17-04-08 at 17:17.

(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 18-04-08 Thread Starter

There'd be loads of space for you and your trailer on our roads. And plenty of time to meet and chat to the other Sussex people in the traffic jam with you!
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-08 Thread Starter

RE: Eco-Towns To 'Charge Cars To Leave'

So Tescos build a town, put a store in the middle of it, then charge people to leave to shop anywhere else! You couldn't make this stuff up!

Eco-Towns To 'Charge Cars To Leave'

"Following a meeting between Cambridge County Council and Jarrow Investments - the developers behind a proposal at one shortlisted eco-town location at Hanley Grange - it emerged that charging cars to leave was one of many ideas being put forward. A report following the meeting from Councillor Tim Stone said there would be severe limitations on car use with 10% of internal journeys and 40% of external journeys by car.
These limitations would include restricting on-street parking, no provision of garages close to houses and potential charging for leaving Hanley Grange by means of number plate recognition devices. The developers are understood to be offering vastly improved public transport and a cycle/pedestrian overpass in return.

Interestingly the developers have proposed that the town would have a 5,500 square meter superstore which would serve the residents as there would be no parking. Jarrow Investments was formed to purchase the land at Hanley Grange and now owns land at the site on behalf of Tesco.

Sebastian Hanley, a spokesman for Jarrow, told PistonHeads: ‘We are exploring a number of options to reduce the need for car use and encourage people onto public transport as part of our eco-town proposals.

‘These include improving bus services to connect housing to the two nearby rail stations and employment centres, locating housing close to bus stops, improving cycle and pedestrian routes along with measures to make it less attractive to drive.

‘These are still at an early stage of discussion and any systems would be dependent on technologies in 2011/2012 and beyond when we would begin to deliver the first housing.’

Michael Kissman, a spokesman for Tesco, said: 'Clearly new towns are going to need shops and we would look at having a food store at Hanley Grange.'"
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

If it wasn't for the damage to the green belt (and what's "eco" about that?), I'd say bring it on, let's have a laugh. No-one's going to buy a house in a town in the middle of nowhere where it's practically impossible to own a car and the only places you can get to on public transport are the railway station and work. The place would rapidly become a sink estate and a total embarrassment to the anti-car brigade.
AO Silver Member

County: -

I live in a "town" that has been built on a greenbelt just outside Cambridge. 6 years on, there is only 2 primary schools so 5 year old kids are being forced to travel on busses to other villages miles away by themselves, there is only one shop in an 8 mile radius, none of the roads are owned by anybody so there are no speed limits, no pedestrian crossings, no yellow lines, and no law enforcement. Also, they seem to have stuck everybody just released from prison here so the crime level has hit the roof, kids are roaming the streets at all hours, glass can be seen lying everywhere, and again no law enforcement.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be an eco town, but when i agreed (rather hastily as it turned out) to live here, we were told that we would never need to leave. Everything would be here; in fact, people would travel for miles to visit the state-of-the-art cinema, ice rink, bowling alley, and wildlife facilities. Where are they? Turns out, none of that will ever happen. Something about not there not being enough room. Apparently there isnt enough room for another primary school either, or a secondary school (all the kids leaving the 2 primary schools we do have go on to the 1 secondary school that is about 6 miles away along with all the other villages, and thats fast filling up), but there is enough room for at least another 900 homes. No one wants to live here. People are selling up (or trying to) and going somewhere else. I still have the plans that i was given that showed what they had planned for the place. It's a croq of crap, all of it.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter

So sorry to hear - and that is our worst fears for what will happen to a currently beautiful part of Sussex. On our site there is currently a prison, they are building a huge recycling facility, and there are plans for an anaerobic digester - all of which are relatively easily absorbed into the countryside - but put 12000 people there as well

And as you say, it is so common for the facilities never to get built on thesre sites!
AO Silver Member

County: -

Yer, they should be brought up on charges IMO. People have bought houses there for the sole reason of living somewhere where there is all these facilities. We got a pub though, so at least the kids roaming the streets can do it drunk.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter

Nice! And at least the arsonists amongst them have got nothing much to burn down

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page