Tradesmen who don't show up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

AlfaLincs

Tradesmen who don't show up

I have a holiday cottage in the dales (its my family home..we are just away temporarily...12 years so far )

On sunday evening our guests ring up and says there is a leak coming through ceiling. Seems a decent bloke and between me giving instructions and him and his screwdriver, we isolate the leak.

I ring a local plumber at 8.30 am Monday "I'l get there for 10 ish" he says. Well its tuesday night and he has yet to show up. No call , no explanation. I've only just found out, so I'm livid.

I am a plumber/heating engineer, but I'm 140 miles away, so can't go til friday night at the earliest as I don't work for myself.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AlfaLincs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Tradesmen who don't show up

That is very annoying, I have 1st hand experience too. Virtually all tradesmen have a mobile, all it takes is a 2 min call to keep you informed.
Rayq81

Its so frustrating and i feel your pain, we had our kitchen floor dug up yesterday after a leak, the workmen were meant to return to finish the job today, they never turned up. Meanwhile i have a kitchen like a bomb site with not even a floor board to walk on and the Insurance company have just told me the contractors cant finish the job till Friday as they had another emergency to deal with ?? wtf

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Its very annoying. Only thing you can do is not use them again and tell everyone you know not to use them again.

it is hard to juggle jobs around especially if your staff let you down (probably the case).

a phonecall would be nice though.

I share your frustration.We have a holiday home in Algarve that is sea-frontage.We often rent it out theirfore it needs constant maintenance.I have given up on the local tradesman(fishermen).After begging them for months I did everything myself.I spent the whole of last summer painting and repairing botched jobs from "qualified tradesmen".The pub owner begged me,over Easter,to fix a botched job after an "electrician" charged him 500 Euros to hang two outside lights!I had free drinks the whole night.
I think,considering the reliability and experience of todays tradesman it is best to do it yourself.
Any good tradesman should consider a move to the Algarve,they will make a fortune!
Regards
AlfaLincs

Update. I rang him again this morning.....and kept it low key. He was apologetic, made a few weak excuses...then went straight round and did the job.

I know lots of excellent tradesmen, and I mean excellent, but they have work coming out of their ears and can pick and choose. There are still too many cowboys though.

I'd love to work in the Algarve. I could certainly work as a plumber, but not so sure my gas qualifications would be any good...and thats the bit I enjoy. I would guess that what gas there is in Portugal is LPG, but I stand to be corrected.

AlfaLincs

Nev

Should've got one of those nice
Polish chaps we hear so much about.

Always reminds me of the Egg card advert:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page