BMW Series 1 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

10Likes
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 2 Post By TonyGr
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 2 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 2 Post By keithyboy

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 06-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
BMW Series 1

How on this God’s earth can the DVLA class a Series 1 BMW 1.8 Msport (1995cc Diesel engine) as only needing to pay £30 a year tax? The newer version so I am told is only £20 a year!!
That’s just absolute B....llocks, there is no way that this 2L Diesel car is producing so little exhaust emissions as to warrant only £30 p.a. - Someone within the DVLA either owned one or had a good back hander off BMW :rage :

FEEL BETTER NOW!

Alrite-kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Its squeaky clean, thats why. If you don't believe it, ask the monkeys they tested the Beetle diesel fumes on. Funded by VW, BMW, Merc and Bosch. The monkeys apparently are fine. The old ways (1933-45) are always the best ways.
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 06-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Its squeaky clean, thats why. If you don't believe it, ask the monkeys they tested the Beetle diesel fumes on. Funded by VW, BMW, Merc and Bosch. The monkeys apparently are fine. The old ways (1933-45) are always the best ways.
Actually the monkeys that breathed the old 1995 Ford exhaust fumes enjoyed it more and were better for it!
Strange how these newer cars that benefit from a reduced road fund licence seem to be the ones producing the worst pollution?
Who the hell looks at the data or even checks these alleged emission levels from BMW or VW - By now you would think someone had latched on its utter b...locks?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
VW are behaving in a way to make the company founder proud.

On the BMW, they have tuned it to produce a low CO2 level at the measured test speed. Alfa did the same with the 1.6 Diesel Giulietta, and other manufacturers all do the same.
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 06-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
VW are behaving in a way to make the company founder proud.

On the BMW, they have tuned it to produce a low CO2 level at the measured test speed. Alfa did the same with the 1.6 Diesel Giulietta, and other manufacturers all do the same.
CO2 is not the problem as we all now know, I still donít believe that a 2L BMW Diesel can produce such low readings without some software manipulation or black magic!?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
CO2 is not the problem as we all now know, I still don’t believe that a 2L BMW Diesel can produce such low readings without some software manipulation or black magic!?
CO2 still causes global warming.

Everyone knows the official CO2/MPG tests are flawed, but you cannot blame BMW for making a car which does well at them.

A 2.0 Diesel 140bhp Giulietta is also only £30 per year as well. The 1.6 has zero road tax.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:

Everyone knows the official CO2/MPG tests are flawed, but you cannot blame BMW for making a car which does well at them.

A 2.0 Diesel 140bhp Giulietta is also only £30 per year as well. The 1.6 has zero road tax.
And my 1.1 Saxo (petrol) is £150 because it was first registered in 2000. Therein lies the whole iniquity of the present set up. The tax rates are more dependent on the age of the car than the emissions whether real or not. Why can we not have a system where similar cars pay a similar cost? Why not use tax on fuel; the more you use, the more you pollute and the more you pay? Simple really but not to a politician.
MalcQV and keithyboy like this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

2006 GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
Why not use tax on fuel; the more you use, the more you pollute and the more you pay?
I agree with that totally. Had tax reminder for GTV...£245 this year and Lexus was £305. Worth it to drive something i like though
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
Quote:

And my 1.1 Saxo (petrol) is £150 because it was first registered in 2000. Therein lies the whole iniquity of the present set up. The tax rates are more dependent on the age of the car than the emissions whether real or not. Why can we not have a system where similar cars pay a similar cost? Why not use tax on fuel; the more you use, the more you pollute and the more you pay? Simple really but not to a politician.
Serves you right for buying a filthy polluting dirtbox of a car from 2000 instead of a nice clean 2001 model. It's almost like it was dreamt up to convince people to buy new cars.

Putting it on fuel is a delightfully simple idea. It makes it very hard to evade and the mechanism is there to collect it.
MalcQV likes this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Platinum Member

I need to tax my BMW, that is £305 per year compared to £120 for the Giulietta.

A 3 litre petrol is so much nicer to drive than a 2.0 Diesel so it is worth it. Going back and two to work (10 miles) there isn't a huge difference in fuel consumption either.

County: West Lothian
Garage
My 2 litre turbo petrol SAAB is £520 a year, but my 3.5 litre Lotus is 'just' £305 - bizarre!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Serves you right for buying a filthy polluting dirtbox of a car from 2000 instead of a nice clean 2001 model. It's almost like it was dreamt up to convince people to buy new cars.
But I bought it virtually new, ie pre-registered, in Feb 2001. The dealer was clearing old stock to make way for those nice clean 2001 models. Identical, of course, except it had not stood in a field for seven months. In the seventeen years since it has done about 42,000 miles so has not been as polluting as all those later models which are probably long gone into the remelt furnaces to be turned into rebar for new buildings.

Out of interest I checked that nice clean 2001 model on the DVLA website and found that for the nearest equivalent (CITROEN Saxo 1.1i) the tax is £150, that is the same. Makes me feel much happier.

Procrastination is the thief of time
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Taxing fuel isn't the answer because A, it's taxed to hell already, and B, a heavy car with great MPG is doing far more wear and tear on roads and paying less money through fuel tax than say a car that only does half the MPG of said fat heavy car.
AO Platinum Member

Heavier cars will use more fuel, surely? I don’t think any car is going to inflict anywhere near the damage an articulated lorry or a bus does, would it.
MalcQV and TonyGr like this.
AO Platinum Member

Also I don't think it matters how much it wears out the roads compare to how many MPG it does for a couple of reasons.

They are in such a bad state anyway.

Very little of the car tax is put back into the repair/upkeep of them.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
Taxing fuel isn't the answer because A, it's taxed to hell already, and B, a heavy car with great MPG is doing far more wear and tear on roads and paying less money through fuel tax than say a car that only does half the MPG of said fat heavy car.
A. What matters is the total tax you pay; why would it matter paying the same amount on fuel as you currently do on road tax?

B. Road tax is currently graduated to deter pollution, nothing to do with wearing out roads. You achieve that same aim directly by taxing fuel.
TonyGr likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
So VED should really be named pollution tax.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
So VED should really be named pollution tax.
I suppose so.
Tax on fuel for sure.
Out of the three cars the oldest, the Alfa Spider is the only one subject to a T-Charge and it's by and far the most economical to use.
It is has however the cheapest road fund. Barmy.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

My heavy thirsty car hasn't moved off my drive for nearly a fortnight. Admittedly it doesn't have an MoT but even if it did, it often doesn't doesn't move from Monday to Friday. My (admittedly imaginary) neighbour has a (similarly imaginary) VW Golf Bluemotion in which he does about 30,000 (fantasy) miles per year. If he existed, I would pay significantly more VED than him despite doing me best to limit my carbon footprint by using shanks' pony and public transport wherever possible and him swanning around the country with someone else paying for the fuel, not giving a ****. The *******!
MalcQV and TonyGr like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
If your car does a blue motion I hope youíre obliged to tidy it up?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2005 1.8TS 156SW

Stop making the poor Irish cousins jealous
https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

Private Car Standard : Pre mid-2008 first registration - based on engine size alone
Private Car CO2 : Since mid 2008

Even an electric car is Ä120 / year to tax

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page