weekly shop at the petrol station WTF? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

12Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 06-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

weekly shop at the petrol station WTF?

Please explain to me why someone would think its OK to do their weekly shopping at the petrol station. Last night I went to fill up at one of those places that has a mini supermarket attached not an actual supermarket with a petrol station if you know what I mean. I figure these places are for people who call in for petrol then think Oh while I'm here I'll grab a pint of milk and some bacon for tomorrows breakfast. But no, last night I had the misfortune to join the queue directly behind this woman who seemed to be doing her weekly shop there easily having about 4 full carrier bags worth of food in her three baskets. I had to stand there for at least 5 minutes whilst the one and only checkout bloke scanned each item, discussed each item in depth and then proceeded to pack her bags for her because she was too lazy to be doing this for him whilst he scanned it. To top it all once he had done this and asked for the £48.52 she then and only then decided it was time to search the depths of her hand bag for her purse to scratch around the bottom of that in order to count out every last penny so she could pay him the exact amount. By this time the queue was at least 15 deep. Now I was thinking this cant get any worse but how wrong I was. She finally sorted out her food shopping only to realise that she can buy a top up for her phone and buy some electricity for her meter at home. So yes you've guessed it, back into the depths of her handbag to find her purse again to pay her monthy bills.

What is wrong with these people? not only must it be costing them way more than a proper supermarket but dont they think 'hang on I'm holding everyone up here maybe I should have gone to a proper shop'. Then theres the case that their car has been blocking a pump all this time with a queue of cars waiting to fill their car up and get on with their day.

Heres my advice to anyone thinking of doing their shopping at the petrol station

1. DON'T
2. Its cheaper at an actual supermarket
3. Go to an actaul supermarket, this is a PETROL STATION
4. If you do insist on doing this at least follow these rules
a) park your car in a parking space not at a pump.
b) Check that theres at least 2 people serving so you dont block the whole shop up
c) Dont stand by idly while the checkout person scans things, make yourself useful and pack your bags at the same time.
d) Make use of this time to also get you bloody purse out of your bag and have the money ready and waiting in your hand to pay him straight away
5. GET OUT OF MY FIRKING WAY.

phew I feel so much better now
armoore, symon, cue2 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Don't go to the M5 services in Gloucestershire.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...trol-903h0xjm0
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Feel your pain, I worked in a small store for over 6 years and you see some truly wonderful things. Once of a day people took ages over saving as much as possible with coupons (sometimes not cut out) and reduced barcodes which could only be entered manually . Now it's all about 'convenience' where almost everything is in one place and the stores don't have the infrastructure to cope with 50 people at once (they're often run by two, maybe three staff), which leads to your extended wait at the counter where you leave wanting to bludgeon someone with the blunt end of an axe.

My personal favorite customer trait was to reserve a place in the queue only to remember at that moment that they actually need loads of stuff and then do the pretend 'sorry', or maybe the customer who is unhappy because the tiny store doesn't stock wasabi peas or lapsang-souchong. You do occasionally get the staff member who is unaware of what a queue is though. Oh those were the days.

Now: 156 GTA | Quaife Diff | Wizard Manifolds | Eibach Pro Shocks & Springs | Eibach ARBs | 330mm Brembo Calipers

Then: 147 Sport Q2 | Autolusso Remap | Swirl Flap & EGR Delete | Mocal Oil Cooler Kit | JTD Performance FMIC Kit | High Flow Elbow | Wizard Downpipe | PF Pads & 5.1 Fluid | Autolusso Braided Brake Lines | MTech Short-Shifter | Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose | Refurbed Q2s

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Should be at least 2 members of staff...though i feel your pain.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Fuel stations which also sell groceries, especially the Larger Esso/Tesco types should have seperate till lanes for those who just want to buy fuel or one or two items.

Nothing worse than going in for just fuel and getting stuck behind someone doing a weekly shop.
Dave Brand and Talkingcars like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 06-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Should be at least 2 members of staff...though i feel your pain.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention there was actually 3 members of staff in the shop but only 1 on the actual check out. The other two were 'busy' filling up the crisp section. Apparently it takes two members of staff per box of crisps. Must be some kind of health and safety rule to ensure one of them doesnt injure themselves on a stray frazzle.
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Do you think perhaps they know you're going to remember something you "need" while you're waiting?
It's the same with Petrol Stations where the cashier suddenly becomes somebody's barista when all you want to do is pay for your fuel so you can get to work.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
Oh sorry I forgot to mention there was actually 3 members of staff in the shop but only 1 on the actual check out. The other two were 'busy' filling up the crisp section. Apparently it takes two members of staff per box of crisps. Must be some kind of health and safety rule to ensure one of them doesnt injure themselves on a stray frazzle.
Tut tut. Two is a queue, the cashier should buzz for help next time.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Tut tut. Two is a queue, the cashier should buzz for help next time.
Correct...as annoying as the fully laden down customer is...it is up to the cashier to notice if a queue is forming...it is the cashier at fault.
AO Platinum Member

If there are three people behind the counter there's nobody to chase somebody who grabs the crisps and runs out with them.
(Post Link) post #11 of 26 Old 06-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
If there are three people behind the counter there's nobody to chase somebody who grabs the crisps and runs out with them.
You're right, there's been a spate of people filling up on monster munch and driving off without paying, damn crisp rustlers.
AO Platinum Member

High on flavouring and E numbers. They shouldn't be driving in that condition. Especially if they've had a been cafe drink I've waited ten minutes for in the queue.
AO Platinum Member

We have a separate queue for fuel at service stations here.
symon likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
We have a separate queue for fuel at service stations here.
Are you allowed to jump out of the queue for '1 minute' to get Frazzles?
AO Platinum Member

You also have those bizarre unmanned fuel stations like they have in Italy. No frazzles or last minute shopping opportunities.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
They have unmanned fuel stations here as well. My local Asda has one.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Good old Walmart. They don't miss a chance to put somebody out of a job!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
When I was at college I worked in a petrol station (evenings and weekends) where we actually served people with petrol, rarely diesel, checked the oil, tyre pressures, cleaned the windscreen and chatted to the drivers. The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there. We sold fuel and oil, that's it! Now service stations have to do all that other stuff to make it financially viable

In France I like their arrangement where you fill the car up yourself and then pay at a kiosk on the way out, useful to have a passenger in that case or have to jump out and go round to pay.
AO Platinum Member

The kiosks are usually at supermarket stations. Les-and-less now with self-service/pay pumps.

I like the US. Something iconic about fuel nozzle latch locks and shops full of snacks 'n' tat.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
The kiosks are usually at supermarket stations. Les-and-less now with self-service/pay pumps.

I like the US. Something iconic about fuel nozzle latch locks and shops full of snacks 'n' tat.
US stations useful for local maps, we're talking pre Sat Nav days note.

I've had problems in France, on a Sunday, at those self served, non attended stations when the pump wouldn't accept debit or credit cards. Moments of panic only abated when the pump suddenly decided it would accept one of the cards after all.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:

I like the US. Something iconic about fuel nozzle latch locks
Dunno about iconic, but I get a certain satisfaction from just starting the pump, latching it & walking away. . .

. . . except in Oregon. . .
AO Platinum Member

... or New Joysee.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Funny after reading this I stupidly stopped at a tesco esso and noticed a car was still parked at a pump from before I arrived till leaving
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
They have unmanned fuel stations here as well. My local Asda has one.
Asda and Tescos. I always use the Pay-At-The-Pump wherever possible. The large Tesco near us only opens at 11am on Sunday but the petrol station is open earlier. I guess folk can pick up a few bits and bobs but I'd hope not a weekly shop

I did hear that fuel stations (probably not Supermarket ones) made their profit on goods bought from within the shop as we know the government followed by the oil companies make all the profit on fuel.
AO Platinum Member

Yes they make almost jack on a litre of fuel these days.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page