Animal Lovers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 08-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Animal Lovers

On my way home from work today I took a different route, on one of the main country roads the cars in front all suddenly slowed down, and some of them started to swerve onto the grass verge. The reason was there was a Pheasant which had obviously been hit by a car sat in the middle of the road. As we were going slow I decided to run it over instead of driving around it. This was partly due to not wanting to veer off of the road and partly to put the poor thing out of its misery.

The guy in front took offence at this, started driving slowly and when I passed him in traffic he shouted "I am going to call the police on you".

WTF?? It was an injured Pheasant I ran over, something that is bred in these parts for people to shoot at.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Animal Lovers

thats unfortunate but I understand only problem I can see (is if you could have saved it ) would it be worth is because they would shoot it when they released it " you probably did the poor thing a favor"
(Post Link) post #3 of 29 Old 08-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Normally I would go out of my way to miss animals, but it looked injured, it was sat low, right in the middle of the lane, and to miss it may have cause risk to my suspension by driving over the verge. Not to mention the possibility of traffic approaching quickly behind.

If the guy who got funny loved animals so much he would have removed it from the road and called a vet.

I was doing 60mph on the outside lane overtaking on the M1 and saw a pheasant in front ( if I jammed the breaks on it could have caused death and I would have been to blame ) so I decked the peddle to prevent it taking off and going through my window ( it was getting ready to take off ) and the damage to my motor was bad, just think what it could have done to the family if it went through the screen? its all down to reactions and response ( if you swerved you could have cause an even worse accident ) hopefully you will remember that the most because its important
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 13:34.
Nev

The guy in front didn't stop to help
the animal, so he just appears to
be the worst kind of animal "lover"
hypocrite.

Running it over was a bit messy
and an unsure way of dispatching
it though.

alfafamily

Most people would agree with your choice of action but few would have the b*lls to actually do it. No idea what the guy thought you had done wrong,the bird was never going to recover whatever happened. Obviously not a person used to the countryside and its ways.I think you did the right thing.

Oh, and by the way if you had stopped and picked it up as one my mates did once, you leave yourself open to accusations of theft by a loony gamekeeper, as happened to my mate.

(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 08-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks everyone. I did feel a bit guilty about what I did, as I do love animals and I hate to run things over as a rule. At least a fox will get a nice meal later (Unless someone picks up the pheasant for their tea).

I can't see any damage to the car by the way, but I was only doing 20mph. I had one hit my windscreen whilst I was doing 85mph down the motorway a couple of years ago. It didn't come through, but it pushed the screen as far in as the steering wheel and cut the backs of my hands quite badly.

Not to mention the shock, and the glass that found its way into my underpants.
mudhut

Don't feel guilty - you did the right thing and might have prevented this happening to somebody else (don't care about the Porker though)

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
Don't feel guilty - you did the right thing and might have prevented this happening to somebody else (don't care about the Porker though)

That is sick, but bloody funny!

Fackin hell!!!! if that ruddy chicken had hit the driver!!! whoaaa, that is sick but also pretty crazy, the porker must of been shifting!!!!

I love to take that to the local car cleaning boys!!

shock of their lives.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
As much as I don't care for Porkers or their drivers....

I hope to god he... a) Wasn't smiling like us lot do whilst driving our bellas!! or b) was wearing a good pair of (sun)glasses!!!

Coming back from the football once in my mate's car, he hit a pheasant in the countryside. He got out to inspect the damage but couldnt see much in the dark and drove on. Stopping in Perth for chips, as is our wont, we noticed women walking past the car pointing at the car and grimacing in horror.

Now under the streetlights, the head and neck of a deceased pheasant were clearly visible lolling out of the grille, where its body was stuck fast.

So he pulled the pheasant out, wrapped it in chip wrapper and stuck it in a nearby lamppost bin. Poor council worker who cleaned that out must have thought that was some chicken supper...

New grille was needed but it was OK, it's a Mazda.

You did the right thing.

Here in the sticks we're faced with this type of dilema pretty much all the time...

A couple of weeks ago I arrived home to find a badly stunned seagull lying outside our driveway. It was suffering terribly and would have died a lingering death through cold, starvation or predation. So, I gently picked it up, gave it some warmth and carefully slipped two fingers round it's neck; quick as lightning I gave a twist and pull and it's neck was wrung. Not pleasant but entirely the right thing to do..

Unfortunately I pulled just a little too hard and it's head parted company form it's body.....

Boy did Susan get a fright when she next looked in the bin.......
AO Member

Definitely did the right thing think of the pain it could have been in and for how long that may have lasted. When I travelled Australia all the busses had to have bull bars cos they knew they would end up running over kangaroos
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post

That is sick, but bloody funny!
Glad I wasn't the only one who found it funny.
AO Member

County: Surrey

When I had my driving lessons a few decades ago I remember the instructor telling me that during a lesson, one of his pupils deliberately swerved towards a rabbit sitting near the verge to kill it. It wasn't injured or in the road - he just wanted to kill it.

The instructor said "Stop the car" and asked why he did it. The guy just shrugged so he told him to get out of the car as if to swap seats - and left the bu44er there!

Fair play I thought.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Similar thing happened to me a few years back. A car (which I had not seen) in front had hit a goose and disembowelled it. The guts were squashed onto the road surface and stuck there. The animal, still just alive, was trying to walk but was only able to move in circles whilst twisting what remained of it's intestines.

I took aim and ran over it at about 10mph. In case you were wondering - geese are large but i was driving a Series 111 Landrover. Still messy but at least I killed it outright - no amount of care could have saved it and I saw no reason to let it suffer. Funny thing was I was going through a vegan phase at the time (didn't last long).

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Seems to me that a good spot of sunday roast was wasted

Chris
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Seems to me that a good spot of sunday roast was wasted

Chris
I was thinking the same myself Chris .

You should have took it home and cooked it Symonh

With a rise in food prices a bit of free roadkill can go a long way
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
I was thinking the same myself Chris .

You should have took it home and cooked it Symonh

With a rise in food prices a bit of free roadkill can go a long way
We used to have road kill regularly when i was a kid my dads motto was if it was dead but warm you could cook it and eat it

(Post Link) post #22 of 29 Old 10-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I couldn't really stop and pick it up, as the road was pretty busy, I would have had to reverse back against the traffic.

I do like pheasant though.

Talking of roadkill there was a guy on the radio that picks up badgers, hedgehogs etc from the roadside to eat. Lovely..
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Picking it up is illegal if you killed it. It's okay for the guy behind to though.
Graham P

You ruined a good meal there

Then again the magpies would have enjoyed it

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Pheasants are a bt dozey most of the time, but more so in the Spring.: The majority are hand reared (not all) from the moment they crack that shell and join this lovely world. So they just have a 'Dumbo' existence, hanging around that pheasant keep, and then they become game sport. Don't think I would choose to be a pheasant!: Now a Jackdaw, he is something else, they are brilliant, had one as a pet as I have said before, who I called?....Jack??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page