Creepy instagram adverts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 2 Post By soolka
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 24-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Creepy instagram adverts

A strange thing just happened to me that has really annoyed me and I cant seem to prevent it happening again. Earlier today I was reading a thread about USB adapters for the 12V socket which had a link to an Amazon page for such an adapter. Out of curiosity I took a look at it and thought nothing of it. Also today I watched an episode of Aussie Gold hunters on Quest which inspired me to see how much metal detectors cost ( a boyhood dream to find treasure by the way ) so again had a quick check on Amazon. Nothing unusual here right?

Just 10 minutes ago since there absolutely nothing worth watching on TV I flicked through my Instagram account on my phone and was targeted with an advert from amazon for you've guessed it, metal detectors and USB adapters. Seriously WTF? I know this sort of thing happens and its only going to get worse but how the hell is this allowed and especially as there seems to be no way of stopping it from happening. I also dont see how they can link my amazon searches on my PC ( whilst not signed into my account ) to an Instagram account on my phone that has totally different user names and as far as I'm aware isnt linked in any way. This is really frightening in my view. Just think how far all the data mining will go in the future and how much is already going on.

The future is looking like a bleak place, assuming there is much of a future left that is. Merry Christmas everyone.

Im going to do an experiment and search for something really obscure to see if that ends up on my feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

This is obscene and, as you say, a kind of intrusion that's getting worse and worse.

Technically it's dead easy for them to track you. Whenever you go to a web page they can read your IP address. Presumably Amazon have a deal with Instagram, paying them to advertise stuff they think you'll be interested in. To me this feels worse than governments tracking our activity.
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
A lot of it is to do with cookies from visited sites I believe, so they only have to read the cookies, not which actual sites you've been on, which I'd why you get that little message pop up every time you go in a Web page asking if you want to stay on the page and get spied on and targeted from now until forever. It really is a dystopian nightmare we've blundered into without any real resistance.
AO Silver Member

The ads in Tapatalk keep showing me Scalextric cars on eBay at the minute, can't possibly think why...
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 24-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

The bit that I find really annoying is that I am really careful about internet security etc. I never give out my phone number, use different emails for different accounts and have different user names yet they still have somehow linked my PC to my instagram and phone. Neither my amazon or Instagram have anything linking them, well at least thats what I thought. Even scarier thing is that cant be undone now. All the info and data is stored and logged for them to use as they like. I guess at the moment its all about marketing and trying to sell me stuff I dont want, but imagine what else they can use it for. no way of turning the clock back now, this is how it is and haows its going to be from now on. Not sure I signed up for this
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 24-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

just another thought, I guess even this website could be taking info from all of us or at least it could be looked at to skim extra info about us. I must stop watching episodes of black mirror....
AO Silver Member

I don't think it's the linking of different companies as such, site cookies are stored on your computer and can be read by whichever site you're using at the time, so all data is available to all websites at any given moment by rights, regardless of how Internet secure you are. The only option is to stop using any and all Internet connected sites, apps, technology etc etc...
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
I use a VPN and clear my history, cache, cookies etc at least once a day. I appreciate this may be a pain for some - especially if you have to re-sign in for certain sites.

I just object to being tracked and targeted as if I am an open coffer to be plundered. I find it predatory, annoying and downright stalkerish.

I stop short of wearing a foil-covered colander on my head - but I won’t leave the laptops open, even when they are in sleep mode.......and don’t get me started on the internet of things....
silverevo and Hobson284 like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Have you only just noticed this?!
It's been going on for over a decade
although it is getting more complex
over time.

Even AO uses targets ads.

Reset your Google Advertising ID from time-to-time.
Harvo likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

It all seems so normal now this targeted advertising. Ignore FTW.

I don't like the idea of being spied on by the camera though........ Black tape on mine just in case.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 26-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Have you only just noticed this?!
It's been going on for over a decade
although it is getting more complex
over time.

Even AO uses targets ads.

Reset your Google Advertising ID from time-to-time.
Of course Ive always seen it going on and been aware of it, but not before crossing over devices. I use ad blockers and clear caches regularly. What has really annoyed me this time that Ive not noticed before is how I searched on my PC yet the ads appeared on my phone when as Ive said the user names, emails and account setting are all totally different. I understand if I'm searching on my PC that on other sites I visit I might get targeted ads, but to follow me around on other seemingly unconnected devices is pure stalking and intrusive.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 26-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Whats really frustrating about this is that its so hard to keep up with clearing folders, adjusting settings, installing adblockers etc etc and its down to me to do this. Make one mistake or miss something and then thats it your info has been mined and is used to bombard you with annoying ads I dont want.

I think its funny how the tech companies try and pass this off as doing it to improve our user experience out of a kindness like its a benefit to us. Its so nice of them to think of our feelings isnt it?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverevo View Post
Whats really frustrating about this is that its so hard to keep up with clearing folders, adjusting settings...
If you set your browser never to keep history, and to clear all cookies on closing, you can reduce (though not eliminate) this problem.

My current bugbear is that AVG and Avast antivirus keep sending popups trying to sucker you into signing up for crud you don't want. They're supposed to prevent adware, not create it. I try to support a couple of PCs used by aged ladies (both authors) who are fine with Word, browsing and email, but get confused by the rubbish from the antivirus companies, and of course built into the intrusive nastiness that is Windows 10.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Ads? Ah, yes the things that clutter up pages on other people's computers.

Really simple steps.

1) Install uBlock Origin on your browser. It nails everything, and hardly ever seems to trigger an ad-block detector. On this page alone it is blocking 19 "off domain" requests. It works for Chrome, Firefox and Edge apparently, but if you are using Edge, there is no hope for you.

2) On a home PC, just use Microsoft Defender. It works well enough and doesn't spam you.

That's it. No ads.

For mobile devices, either use something on the platform (these are rare), or the more comprehensive solution is to install a proxy that simply filters the ads out of your connection completely. I use Squid/guard, which does take a bit of set up, but works well.

The problem with clearing cookies is that all your default log ins for sites don't work anymore.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 26-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Ive been reading up all day on different ways to stop trackers logging my activity. Ive just installed an extension on chrome called disconnect which along with adblock plus is supposed to be a good combo to stop a lot of the traffic. I'll see how it goes with these two.

Im going to try Strezo idea of setting my browser not to store cookies also and see how I get on with that. One cookie that is apparently a big problem is called doubleclick.net. Its a google company that puts the cookie in your browser and then sells the info to companies that wants to use it. ive tried to find a way to just block that one from installing as Ive deleted several times and it just comes back as soon as you visit certain pages but there doesnt seem to be a way just to block individual cookies. Unless anyone out there knows of a way.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Seriously, do what I said. It works, no ads, no problems. Doubleclick is one of the major ad networks out there, now owned by Google. Every site you visit will put a doubleclick cookie on your machine.

If you want to specifically eliminate a doubleclick cookie, then create a windows (I'm guessing you're on windows) batch file in Task Scheduler that runs every minute with the command del \path.....\filename

A few minutes of rummaging has turned up Ad Block on IOS which seems to do the same thing. Not "Ad-block Plus" which is a ham fisted PITA.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Ads? Ah, yes the things that clutter up pages on other people's computers.

Really simple steps.

1) Install uBlock Origin on your browser. It nails everything, and hardly ever seems to trigger an ad-block detector. On this page alone it is blocking 19 "off domain" requests. It works for Chrome, Firefox and Edge apparently, but if you are using Edge, there is no hope for you.

2) On a home PC, just use Microsoft Defender. It works well enough and doesn't spam you.

That's it. No ads.
I posted this in the slow laptop thread in the technical lounge but I use Firefox on my home laptop (currently on my work one (not doing work)) and it has an ad blocker as the one of the add ons and in the 10 minutes after I activated it, it blocked 25 adverts !
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 26-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Seriously, do what I said. It works, no ads, no problems. Doubleclick is one of the major ad networks out there, now owned by Google. Every site you visit will put a doubleclick cookie on your machine.

If you want to specifically eliminate a doubleclick cookie, then create a windows (I'm guessing you're on windows) batch file in Task Scheduler that runs every minute with the command del \path.....\filename

A few minutes of rummaging has turned up Ad Block on IOS which seems to do the same thing. Not "Ad-block Plus" which is a ham fisted PITA.
OK thanks, Ive installed uBlock now but had to disable disconnect as they clash. I'll see how that goes for me. Thanks for your advice.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
[QUOTE=silverevo;16769657]just another thought, I guess even this website could be taking info from all of us or at least it could be looked at to skim extra info about us. I must stop watching episodes of black mirror....[/QUOTE

It does. I've noticed that if I post about something, most recent was about NTC thermistors, adverts come up related to the post.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page