Christmas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

11Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 15-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Christmas

Over rated pretend to be happy ballix.....let's just treat it like a normal month with a large chicken !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

It'll be over before you know it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 15-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
It'll be over before you know it.
Please God !!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Please God !!
But that is what Christmas should really be about.

And if you do not believe why celebrate a religious festival?
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post

SERIOUSLY??

It's just a (pretty much unavoidable!) marketing event, a festival of consumerism and conspicuous consumption with any religious aspect buried deep and long forgotten by the vast majority.

Season's greetings
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
You miserable, grumpy sad old gits.
cue2, Verbout and Talkingcars like this.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post

Christmas actually lends the trend of the pagan festival of the winter solstice when we mark the rebirth of the sun which is on the 21st of December this year. After that the days slowly start getting longer. I'll be off to Spain on the 23rd to an all-inclusive hotel. No washing up. No annoying family visits to do. No boring queens speech at 3pm, and best of all a bit of sun. A Boxing Day stroll along the beach sounds better than 007 repeats. It was great last years in Portugal. Book yourself a holiday for Christmas 2018 OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Navlet likes this.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I agree that the Christians took over pagan festival but, tbh, so what?

It is nothing to do with religion or pagan celebration for most of us - just an excuse for a holiday and nothing wrong with that principle .

I do hate the perceived need to spend heaps of dosh on crap though.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Get those yule logs a-burning!

braddersR likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

It’s gonna be great, antibiotics working, chest infection clearing, but lost my voice, as you can tell.

We’re going for the double......fake Christmas and dinner this Saturday for family due to their commitments, and a real one to follow. Yeh.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

's for the kids, innit.
(Post Link) post #12 of 34 Old 16-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
's for the kids, innit.
Absolutely !!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
You miserable, grumpy sad old gits.
Now, if I could buy cards with that wording...
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Great fake Christmas dinner on Saturday with the family.

They all went for a walk late afternoon to the local farm to see their fairy lights. A very impressive sight.

Asked Mrs. V for the wrapping paper for me to wrap her pressies, she gave me three rolls of paper, bit optimistic of her I thought.
braddersR likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I like having the time off work and seeing family, but I don't like the expense.

It is a shame we cannot have Christmas in the summer like they do in Australia, instead of in winter when it is cold, dark and damp.

Then the time off would be even more useful.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I have mixed feelings. The fact that the build up starts in late September grates a bit. The fact that there's ****ing glitter everywhere is also really annoying. Public transport is hell for most of December and the roads are no better. My mum loved Christmas but is no longer with us and my wife's dad died at Christmas so there is that feeling that people are missing.

But...... I'm off work for over a week, daughter is home from uni, and the tree is up now. Food will be eaten, drinks drank, laughs had, long dog walks taken. At the moment Friday seems a long way off but it'll be here soon enough.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
It is pretty much the only time of the year when everything stops for a few days. That is the bit I like most. The phone stops (you don't even get any annoying sales/PCP/recent accident calls!); life just slows down for a few day - bliss. Car parked up for a few days with no intention of going anywhere, kids busy building Lego sets, good food and chat/drinks with family and friends.

We stay put now for Christmas (well a short walk to the rest of the family for Christmas Day) and that has made it MUCH better!

The expense is crazy with 3 kids. My wife buys far too much for them. All I have asked for is a new bench mounted grinder and battery for my 12v drill.

Christmas Carols at the pub on the 22nd is my favourite bit. Always very messy and raucous fun. Carol service at the local church on the 24th is also fun, with all the kids involved and me ringing the bells. Pop to the pub Christmas morning for a catch up with friends and a swift 3 pints, then up to my parents for a big lunch and afternoon snooze.

I'll spend Boxing day tinkering in the garage with a couple of beers and my (hopefully) new bench mounted grinder...

Writing that has made me look forward to it all!
braddersR, RobM and Verbout like this.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
(Post Link) post #18 of 34 Old 18-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
It is pretty much the only time of the year when everything stops for a few days. That is the bit I like most. The phone stops (you don't even get any annoying sales/PCP/recent accident calls!); life just slows down for a few day - bliss. Car parked up for a few days with no intention of going anywhere, kids busy building Lego sets, good food and chat/drinks with family and friends.

We stay put now for Christmas (well a short walk to the rest of the family for Christmas Day) and that has made it MUCH better!

The expense is crazy with 3 kids. My wife buys far too much for them. All I have asked for is a new bench mounted grinder and battery for my 12v drill.

Christmas Carols at the pub on the 22nd is my favourite bit. Always very messy and raucous fun. Carol service at the local church on the 24th is also fun, with all the kids involved and me ringing the bells. Pop to the pub Christmas morning for a catch up with friends and a swift 3 pints, then up to my parents for a big lunch and afternoon snooze.

I'll spend Boxing day tinkering in the garage with a couple of beers and my (hopefully) new bench mounted grinder...

Writing that has made me look forward to it all!
Damn it...i have changed my mind....can i join you ?? Glad tidings to all !!
alfabeat likes this.
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Tyranny of Christmas

We call it the 'tyranny of Christmas' - and we refuse to do it.

Instead we mark Christmas entirely on our own terms: we do more than enough for our unappreciative ageing relatives during the rest of the year, and everyone we know has already got pretty much everything they want (with the possible exception of a big skip).

So we have a party at home on Christmas eve for our friends and their families in the village where we live: good food, drink, lots of laughs, silly games and live music. We have very modest 'token' gifts for close family members only and an 'immediate family only' (me, wife, kids) Christmas supper - which we all really look forward to cooking and eating together.

If other people want to go broke buying more unwanted clutter for ungrateful people who they don't really like and then spend a week driving around in bad weather on congested roads full of drunks in order to visit a load of grumpy relatives out of a misplaced sense of duty - well that's fine. Just don't put my name down for any of that.

The clever marketeers really do seem to have got most people firmly by the b*lls....
_________

Hmmm. I feel much better for that. The Rant Room's a great place, isn't it?
AO Silver Member

I should add that apart from the kids, we just do a big Secret Santa for all the adults. So I just have to buy one present (limit £25) it goes into a big pile then everyone who is there on Christmas Day just grabs one, then the best bit is the trading that goes on afterwards. Hence I always buy something which probably only I would want (last year was a car detailing kit....). Win Win!

I also buy my wife a little gift. But no one else!
(Post Link) post #21 of 34 Old 20-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Gonna be bah humbug again.....i detest Secret Santa..it's getting a gift you don't really want...find it very naff...but if it floats your boat....
AO Silver Member

Better than buying 14 different presents which no one needs/wants (that's how many adults will be together on Christmas Day)!

Even better, I made my Secret Santa present last night. A piece of work working art which cost nothing....
(Post Link) post #23 of 34 Old 20-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Better than buying 14 different presents which no one needs/wants (that's how many adults will be together on Christmas Day)!

Even better, I made my Secret Santa present last night. A piece of work working art which cost nothing....

But is that not what Secret Santa is?

A present that someone gets you....that you don't really want ??

Better cutting out all the rubbish...and asking everyone what they want....???
AO Member

County: Notts-
Garage
Or nobody buys anybody any presents and spend their money on something they want themselves. Seems much more sensible if not PC.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay19 View Post
Christmas actually lends the trend of the pagan festival of the winter solstice when we mark the rebirth of the sun which is on the 21st of December this year. After that the days slowly start getting longer. I'll be off to Spain on the 23rd to an all-inclusive hotel. No washing up. No annoying family visits to do. No boring queens speech at 3pm, and best of all a bit of sun. A Boxing Day stroll along the beach sounds better than 007 repeats. It was great last years in Portugal. Book yourself a holiday for Christmas 2018 OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being pretty well retired we've taken the opportunity to avoid the Xmas silliness and spend most of December out at our studio in Tenerife - still some low-key evidence of "festive" stuff, but nothing like the commercial mania that seemed to start in UK in November. Looking forward as said to a stroll in the sun on Xmas day, and probably a meal at the local restaurant. Back to UK Boxing Day - looking forward to getting behind the Busso V6 again....but not the fuel prices.....its about 80p/litre here

But enjoy xmas in whatever way suits you. all!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page