Wtf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Wtf

Not sure if this is Rant or WOT, but anyway;
bowling all the A3 this morn, on the downgrade of the last bit of 3-lane where it narrows to 2-lane and approaching the most lucrative Gatso in England (just before the Hook interchange) when I spied a white car with stripes parked at 45 degs on the hard shoulder and neatly surrounded by cones, about 200 yards from the Gatso. Nearby were 2 figures clad in acres of hi-viz.
It is newly reclassified as 50 here so I suspected a random speed check but as I got nearer it was 2 civilians (male & female) with clipboards. I recognised these 2 from the other day who were checking the traffic light camera in Hinchley Wood, but this is the thing - they were walking backwards toward the Gatso, absolutely full on backwards and not even looking over their shoulders.
They looked absolutely ridiculous. Why didn't they walk on the safe side of the armco or here's any idea, park right next to the Gatso.
Some jobsworth at HQ has presumably dreamt up a H&S guideline that says you must walk backwards on the hard shoulder in case you get rundown from behind but also said you must park 200 yards away from your target and put cones out.
Give me strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Re: Wtf

A couple of years ago, I passed a big smash that had happened right by that camera, and it wasn't hard to guess what had happened - massive skidmarks on the road, one car on its roof and another one with its rear corner stoved in. Safety camera my a**e.

The one on the southbound carriageway used to be even sneakier though - hidden right behind a large square sign so that you couldn't see it till you were past it, and positioned 200yds before the limit goes from 50 to 70mph. Ker-ching!
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I remember it well!
The other one (by Asda, Roehampton) was also hidden behind a big sign for a while.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Maybe they were walking backwards as they didn't want it to see their faces, and they were going to BURN IT
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Be careful when speeding up after you go past that gatso before Hook(if you do). I did and got nailed by a mobile camera just round the bend under the bridge!

Maybe they were trying to get back in for nothing.....
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1 View Post
Be careful when speeding up after you go past that gatso before Hook(if you do). I did and got nailed by a mobile camera just round the bend under the bridge!
Got the same thing in Pontypool - fixed Camera - 200 yds to a roundabout then onto a duel cariageway and fifty yards away a mobile Camera parks at least once a week.

Trouble is the road approaching the camera is 60 - then 40 through the camera and the duel carriage way is 50.

(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Damn! I saw that van too a couple of weeks ago - have been on tenterhooks ever since - what speed did he get you for???

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page