"Spearers" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

6Likes
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 4 Post By Keithy

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 30-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
"Spearers"

We are all familiar with them, but I seem to be plagued by more than normal the last week or two.

Spearers - the last second cutters and divers that suddenly spear across your path with either no or minimal indication after they are already forcing you to hit the brakes while they cut you up to make the exit.

Yesterday morning - A black Golf joining the M56 from the south while I joined from the north. 4 lanes for those unfamiliar with it. I want to stay in the same second lane so I can continue passing a slow minibus and to turn right at the next exit, the T2 roundabout for work. I do this more or less every day. The Golf was slightly ahead in the 3rd lane and noticeably slower. It should be continuing straight ahead to T1 like most others and it had plenty of time to change but I've seen it all on that stretch so I lift as I'm getting close to its rear 3/4 even though the slip road is almost on us. Yes, you guessed it, the Golf pulls sharply across both lanes to the inside lane without indicating. Glad I was ready. So now we are going up the exit to the roundabout side by side but the Golf is marginally ahead (at about 40) because my senses are tingling about this guy. He should be going straight on to one of the long stays or down to main road off the other side.

So, of course, "he" sets off around the roundabout but cuts back across me to turn right as if he's taking a 20 mph racing line. No indicators again.

Back to the inside lane and I pull in behind to go left to my office. Almost at the Radisson Blu/T2 roundabout it again pulls hard right into the next lane and starts a turn across the roundabout straight across the front of a private hire Merc that had right of way. At which point I saw it was a late middle aged woman in a car full of family. In a one mile stretch of just 3 changes of direction she nearly caused a crash in every one. These people shouldn't be allowed out.

Later I got the usual M60 kamikaze divers at various junctions. Why not get in a bit earlier and just accept you do the last half mile at 20mph instead of 30mph?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Aren't they running a dashcam dob-in scheme in the UK now?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Don't think the old bill are interested in **** driving footage unless an incident happens.
Hell, they won't even come to a burglary unless you know who did it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
[quote=TheGrimJeeper;16707073]Only in Wales...

Dashcam footage from public scheme to go Wales-wide - BBC News[/quote

Gosh - leading the way.

Wow!
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Remember when driving used to be enjoyable ???
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Aren't they running a dashcam dob-in scheme in the UK now?
Dunno. I don't have one anyway.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Often get Spearers on the way to work everyday....

There's a mile long stretch of filter lane to exit the A50 for Derby. You can guarantee some clown will swing over at the last minute
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

A couple of weeks ago I was getting on the M60 at Whitefield with the intention of getting on the M66. This involves being on the 60 for a mile at most. It was mega busy and mega slow so I just got in the inside lane and crawled along to the junction. The gentleman behind me was clearly much more important than me and had things to do and people to see. In the course of less than a mile in really heavy traffic he barged his way across to the third lane and barged his way back, right in front of me, without indicating. 4 lane changes, all with no signals, to make up one car length, and I didn't even go the same way as him at the next junction.
73GTVJim likes this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
You can guarantee some clown will swing over at the last minute
...and it'll probably be me (not in Derby it won't )

Roundabout in Shrewsbury, approach to turn left towards retail park. Typically a queue of between .25 and .5 of a mile. Two choices...

1. Accept fate, pull in to left hand lane and await 9 or 10 changes of traffic lights as "classic" (i.e. shagged and elderly) camper vans struggle trough the lights, massive articulated lorries struggle through the lights, yummy mummies in fuax-wheel-drives screaming-at-kids-and-searching-for-dropped-food-and-homework-etc. then struggle through the lights and hipster-arshloes twart about with their wifi hotspots/streaming media/facebook updates etc. then struggle through the lights. Then have a heart attack.

2. Buggr'm all and drive down the right hand lane until the last 200 yards and then pull in front of one of the above drivers, all of whom are leaving a gap of at least 150 yards between themselves and the retard in front.

As for dash-cam-dobbing-in I'm all in favour as long as the courts and plod accept my footage of the slipper-sporting plank I have been stuck behind for 20 miles at 44mph on a clear a-road positioning himself on the white lines, driving right behind the twart in front of him, but NOT overtaking, not leaving me room to get past him and braking at every approaching car, variation to road curvature etc as proof that they should be dragged from the car, beaten soundly and discarded in a ditch and their car torched.

....annnnnddd breathe...

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page