MTEC Brakes! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
MTEC Brakes!

Well, after some research back in Sept, I decided to purchase a pair of MTEC painted/grooved front discs paired with Mintex pads. Within a very short period of time the front discs had warped causing the steering wheel to shake/vibrate under braking.

They weren't the cheapest either. They make it very, very difficult for you to return or refund too. They have high run-out tolerances for their discs and, basically, say that, if within their tolerances, then there is no refund. Sadly their tolerances are enough to make the steering wheel shake under braking and you can visibly see the different thickness of the disc faces from one side to another! They sent a new replacement set but I could see the difference in thickness from one side of a disc face to another on these too. Clearly a manufacturing/casting problem here.

I opted to purchase some OE front discs instead and no problems at all. Should have bought them in the first place.

Not nice people to deal with. Very arrogant and would avoid wasting your money!

Rant over!

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce, Giulietta Cloverleaf and now the Giulia Veloce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Interesting.......I was considering MTEC discs and pads for my Fiat Coupe 20VT

Maybe I won't, now!

County: West Lothian
Garage
Very strange. Doesn't sound like the Mtec that I've dealt with several times over the past few years.

I fitted their discs, front and back, initially to my 159 2.4 back in 2009. I was so pleased with them, that I subsequently fitted full sets to the 1750Ti that replaced the 2.4, to my wife's Giulietta, and they're currently designing a set for my Evora.

Always found them to be nothing but professional in their dealings with me, although admittedly, I've never had occasion to raise a complaint about anything.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 22-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
Very strange. Doesn't sound like the Mtec that I've dealt with several times over the past few years.

I fitted their discs, front and back, initially to my 159 2.4 back in 2009. I was so pleased with them, that I subsequently fitted full sets to the 1750Ti that replaced the 2.4, to my wife's Giulietta, and they're currently designing a set for my Evora.

Always found them to be nothing but professional in their dealings with me, although admittedly, I've never had occasion to raise a complaint about anything.
Yes, I think that's the issue. They almost took it personally! The initial ordering process was fast and easy.

They've just tried to make the whole returning process as difficult as possible - virtually accusing me of lying. Obviously I enjoy wasting Saturday mornings changing discs and pads and spending lots of money in the process!

If you can imagine one of the disc faces - the thickness of the metal varied as you rotated the disc. Simple physics dictate that this cannot be flat/true. I may as well not have changed my discs. The warped/vibration sensation through the wheel under braking was awful and my heart sank. However - a much better story with the OE set-up. A different car.

They clearly don't want to refund. By sending out another set of discs without question sends a simple message to me. It says that they are aware of issues but it's cheaper for us to bung another set of discs out rather than refund as it's cheaper! However, the same difference in thickness was clear to see on these replacement discs and I refused to have them fitted.

Really, really disappointed. The MTEC discs gave readings of 0.12 and 0.15 run-out readings. This is acceptable to them but, clearly, the Giulietta QV doesn't like it. The OE discs are 0.02 and 0.03 (so virtually no run-out discrepancy to note). In these days of precision engineering and casting, I think that MTEC's tolerances are not acceptable at all. The proof was in the pudding. Also, if the disc faces vary in the consistency of thickness, how can the heat be distributed evenly. A total farce. The battle goes on.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolka View Post
Interesting.......I was considering MTEC discs and pads for my Fiat Coupe 20VT

Maybe I won't, now!
I would certainly never entertain the idea of using them. The discs they supplied me were a sub-standard product. Am sure some cars will be fine and I can't speak for all MTEC's products but once bitten, twice shy I'm afraid...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page