Fitted kitchen pricelists - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Fitted kitchen pricelists

As part of our house "re-model" the kitchen is being repositioned in the new extension. The collection of MDF , without work tops and appliances from a Travis Perkins building supplies company is being heavily pushed by our builder. He will get a quote and tell us the price but I'm sure it'll be inflated compared to what we can get the same thing for elsewhere?
I did get a quote from a German company which is "obviously" going to be better and it should be at 15000. Not convinced it's that much better though as some of the components look generic on these units. Friends have told us that the price is there to make you think it's fantastic but then you haggle. I hate haggling and doing it through the builder seems even more complicated. Or is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: UK
I have used these before, and a new order went in last Wednesday, Note, they are not flatpack,
Quality is 100%,
DIY Kitchens | Discount Kitchens, Doors & Cheap Kitchen Units
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

We had a similar job done about a year ago. In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to buy the kitchen from a supplier and get an independent fitter to put in the kitchen; our builder was keen to do it that way and it would have been easy. In the end, we decided to buy the kitchen and fitting as a package because if (when) problems arose there was less chance of the supplier and fitter claiming that it was the other's fault. As it turned out, the fitter who was provided by the kitchen supplier (not an employee but as subcontractor) did a less-than-perfect job and they had to replace quite a lot. To be fair, they did it quickly and amiably. Most of the problems were due to workmanship so if an independent fitter had done the work, the kitchen company would probably have walked away, leaving me to get a one-man outfit to replace a few thousand pounds' worth of kitchen surfaces etc.

BTW- lots of kitchen companies offer deals and price-matching on appliances. In my experience, it's wise to check that they actually take the correct discount. I saved a few quid by maintaining a watch on the cost of appliances and identifying the lower prices to the kitchen company.

The new kitchen is also the reason I have an old GT...

Weltschmerz

Last edited by Clovis; 29-10-17 at 12:57.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 30-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Today the builder forwarded a quote to us from the kitchen supplier. It had a total price including everything and a total including vat. No breakdown of prices for items but a total of 18k including work tops and appliances etc. I asked for an itemised quote and the builder wrote requesting it in a note apologising for taking up so much of their time! Turns out they have selected a microwave at around 1500 and their is an item entitled "promotional items". Whether the latter is positive or negative I'm not sure. Perhaps it's a free gift to the builder?
What a shower!
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I know of a good fitter ooop Norf.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
We used an independent (local) company when we had our house built.

We were able to choose exactly what we wanted from units to appliances whilst they designed (consulting with us), supplied and fitted everything. We were able to negotiate the price. Everything was installed in two days and is still looking and functioning well 8 years later.

It cost (8 years ago) 17k that included Neff appliances (dishwasher, washer/dryer, fridge freezer, and two ovens).

Mt point? - It was well worth just having input over choice/price and leaving them to it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page