Ikea nightmare - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

11Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 23-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Ikea nightmare

You want a long rant? Here's the email I have just sent to Ikea.

Hi there

I have just had an immensely frustrating experience at Ikea Warrington. Let me describe it to you.
Firstly, I checked the stock of everything I wanted to buy online, and everything was listed as in stock - no low stock noted. So I went to the store.
One of the items I needed said I had to contact a member of staff to buy. So I went to the greeter at the entrance when I arrived, and she pointed me to customer services. So I went to customer services, and grabbed a ticket. Number 666 - perhaps that should have been a warning? My ticket told me there was a wait of approximately 0 minutes. 10 minutes later my number was called. The customer services woman told me I had been sent to the wrong place, and it was actually warehouse staff who needed to help me. My first piece of wasted time.

So back into the warehouse I went. Checked my family card, and the system told me I could have a free gift. Isn't that nice? I picked a photo frame from the three choices. When I finally found the correct place for this (there was no indication of where that would be on the voucher of course) I was told it was sold out. Why did the system not tell me that? My second piece of wasted time.

One of the items I needed had helpfully informed me online that it was in the Home Organisation department. Of course, unless I was able to memorise exactly which department number this was, this info wasn't much help - because the only map which I found which referred to departments by anything other than number was right at the start. Only numbers after that. My photo frame hunt had taken long enough to allow me to forget the correct number. Third waste of time.

So I finally get the bottom of the store, and ask a member of staff where I go to order this item I needed to talk to someone about. She points me to an information desk. So I go and stand by the desk. For ten minutes. Eventually, I manage to gain the attention of one of the many members of staff who have been working around me and avoiding eye contact with me, and ask if it's possible that someone could serve me because I am worried the store will close before I can finish. He helpfully tells me that the desk I'm on isn't open, and there's another one just around the corner. There was no indication of this on the desk itself, and none of the staff saw fit to offer this info when I was standing there clearly waiting to be served. Waste of time number four.

So off I go to the manned desk. I can't fault the man here, who sorted out the item I needed from the external collection point. He also informed me that during the approximate 45 minutes I had just spent being misinformed, ignored, waylaid, and everything-but-helped by your store and the people in it, all but 1 of the shoe racks of which I needed 2 had been sold. Literally - according to his computer which updates every 30 minutes, there were 3, but on the shelf there was one. They had been taken while I was busily not being helped.

As you can imagine, I am about as frustrated as I have ever been left by a shopping trip. Add this to the email that I sent to Ikea about a chair that I bought and have subsequently found to have a crack under the clear veneer. I sent that email on the 13th, got an immediate reply to tell me I'd get a response within 24 hours, and have heard nothing since. (order number 896439650 - hopefully you have a record of the order and the email somewhere). I'm not currently filled with great feelings about my Ikea experience I'm afraid.

I'm sure in the future I will find this to be a hilarious anecdote, what would help me to do so would be if these problems were put right without me having to make yet another trip to Ikea myself to repair issues not of my making:
A replacement VILMAR seat shell (902.090.38) posted to me.
Another Tjusig shoe rack in black (101.526.39) also posted to me (of course I will happily pay for this).
Is there any possibility this could be arranged to happen as soon as possible?

Kind regards,
James
keithyboy likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I can spot your mistake straight off.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Would that be the 'a' in front of hilarious? It should be 'an', shouldn't it?
AO Platinum Member

I was thinking more along the lines of
actually going to an Ikea.
AO Gold Member

Garage
I thought that was a very reserved rant - I think I would have been arrested for breach of the peace!
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I went Sunday morning, expecting a quiet shop, it wasn’t.

The young man I had to speak to to order some goods was computer hopping, he couldn’t get one to boot up. Considering the shop opens for browsing at 9:30 and to sell items at 11:00 I would have thought you would have everything booted up and ready.

The place was manic, ruined my weekend, well... until I got to the pub and forgot about it.
(Post Link) post #7 of 37 Old 24-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

To add injury to insult, I had a bit of an argument with one of the items - which it won - and I now have a cut face and a black eye.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Clumsy twart....
AO Member

County: Cumbria
I recently bought some Ikea kitchen units to use as storage in my garage. When they arrived instead of 4 grey fronts for one unit I received 2 grey and two white. The other was all grey as ordered. Also 2 of the side panels were dented, but I wasn't too bothered as they were out of sight, and in the garage.
I mailed them and they said I must have ordered the wrong ones. However this not possible as they came as a set. They didn't even mention the dented sides which I sent photos of. After a few emails they eventually sent me the correct draw fronts.
Anyone want 2 small white drawer fronts.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Luckily the nearest IKEA to me is 90 miles away. Saves me the bother.
Oggy_GTA and Clovis like this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 37 Old 24-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

To be fair to them, their flat pack furniture is of far better quality, and better deigned than, say, Argos stuff.

I've never had problems with them before. They are still studiously ignoring my emails though. I think I feel a public message to their facebook page coming on...
(Post Link) post #12 of 37 Old 24-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The 'argument' was particularly stupid - and could have been a lot worse. Screwing two bits of wood together - when they were joined the torque from the screwdriver into the screw was transferred into the wood, which promptly spun around rather quickly and smacked me in the face. About 5mm from severely damaging my eye I think, so will happily accept the shiner as a lesson.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
The 'argument' was particularly stupid - and could have been a lot worse. Screwing two bits of wood together - when they were joined the torque from the screwdriver into the screw was transferred into the wood, which promptly spun around rather quickly and smacked me in the face. About 5mm from severely damaging my eye I think, so will happily accept the shiner as a lesson.

That'll teach you to mess with electric wizardry powered screwdrivers!
AO Platinum Member

Agreed, God's punishment for being a big Wendy and not using hand tools.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
How did you two deduce that it was an electric screwdriver
AO Platinum Member

Shouldn't that be, "You two shouldn't be mocking Bazza. He was almost seriously injured and was lucky to come away with just a black eye. " ?
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

If he hadn't vainly got his eyes lasered then perhaps he would have been wearing glasses as protection.
AO Platinum Member

Good point!
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I haven't laughed at all reading this. Honest.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I have been to Ikea precisely once and decided then and there that I would never go again.
AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton
I find it's all worth it for the meatballs and sauce...
cue2 and AdamAR like this.
(Post Link) post #22 of 37 Old 25-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I haven't laughed at all reading this. Honest.
I'm pleased to hear that. You're a gentleman Keith.
(Post Link) post #23 of 37 Old 25-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

By the time I was standing at the empty helpdesk for ten minutes (at this time, it still seemed like there was a good chance they would hold me up enough that the external warehouse would close too soon for me to get the other item too) I was absolutely fuming.

And the bit missing from that letter (as it's irrelevant to them) is that when I was sent to the right desk, there was one couple in front of me (who chatted on for a frustratingly long time) and then another guy appeared and leaned himself directly on the other side oif the L shaped desk, with the clear intent of pushing in.
When the couple finsihed, and the helper asked who was next (clearly being well aware who it was but not wanting to take responsibility for it) the sod absolutely tried to make out it was him. I swear, if it had worked, I'd have hit him with a Poang. But I just said 'me' with a voice which may have betrayed my barely restrained fury and he backed down. Not that I'm a very imposing man - and I remained polite throughout this experience, as I hate people who take out their anger on the servers who are usually not to blame - but judging from the amount of apologies from the server (who actually dealt with me very quickly and efficiently) I wasn't entirely hiding how fed up I was.
AO Platinum Member

Did you mean PONG ?
(Post Link) post #25 of 37 Old 25-10-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I'd hit him hard enough to knock off the umlauts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page