Road Closures for fun runs..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Verbout

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Road Closures for fun runs.....

Get on my frigging nerves.

Pontefract Half Marathon today.

So here I am stood at the end of the road ready to watch them go by. A jobsworth has cones across our junction so no one can leave our estate.

They can’t stop everyone using the road because people living between where the jobsworth are posted are leaving their drives and going into town with the screeming banshee barking orders as they pass that they can’t use the road.

I pointed out that you can’t close the road completely, people need to get to work, people need to visit and care for elderly relatives and people have other business that cannot be put off by a road closure.

Apparently no one can use the road for 3 hours she said even though the runners will be done at our location inside the hour.

“I will be getting a shower and heading out soon on this road”

She says “You won’t get out of the street”

Game on Mrs. Jobsworth.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Video or it didn't 'happen.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Video or it didn't 'happen.
Damn, I wish I had, that would have given here a reason to scream.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Join the run!
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Join the run!
If it was a 100 yard run I may finish it, it’s 30 years since I’ve done a half marathon.

Saying that I’ve just enrolled on my local council “Aspire to health” scheme which gives me access to several gyms and swimming pools in our area, i maybe a contender for next year.

I did get out of the street, apparently it’s a rolling road block.

Last edited by Verbout; 01-10-17 at 09:58.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Posted in the Motoring rants without..

Where we live there is one way in and out. Just one single road that is just about wide enough for two cars to pass each other. Fields either side and one pavement.
At the far end of that access road we have a miners club (I think it is a miners club) and they host local events. Also have a regular local football team play there on Sundays.

I picked the missus up from work on sunday and noted all the cars parked on the this road half on and half off the pavement when I left home.
This causes massive problems because the volunteers who control the traffic can't. 15 minutes later on our return we could not get in.
It took 20 minutes including lots of reversing and lots of annoyed people shouting at the volunteers

Some arse it seems had parked his/her car over the parking entrance near the club (which is not large enough anyway) which added to it. Lots of my neighbours are writing to the council. I understand in the end the council came out to clear the road but by the time I left again in the afternoon it was clear though the 'events' had finished anyway.

What annoyed me was we were having contractors in to do some work and they cancelled so now I have to take Thursday off :-(

One of the events was a running thing. My colleague who lives at the [Salford] Quays has said on the Manchester fun run days he does not even try to leave home

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I was at Salford Quays some years ago when a fun run was taking place. We struggled with the sat nav trying to get into the Quays due to the barriers. I’ve never heard a sat nav say “Do a U turn” so many times, and “Recalculating”

When we left later in the day the barriers were still up, everybody had gone, the area was devastated with plastic bottles and foil body wraps. We again struggled to get out of the area.

I know it’s usually for a good cause, but it’s an inconvenience if you need to go out, this one of ours wasn’t very widely publicised. I only knew about it because my daughter was running.
MalcQV likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page