Fags to now be sold from under the counter...? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Nev

Fags to now be sold from under the counter...?

Saw that uk.gov are thinking about
banning shops from having cigarettes
"on display" because it encourages
smoking.

Bet they don't do the same for that
supermarket profit generator:
off licence booze.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: Fags to now be sold from under the counter...?

yeah, give the man who came up with that one a prize! They will ban Dot cotton from smoking soon for giving youngsters the idea that smoking is kool

.....do hurry up election....
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

How will you know what stock they have and prices ??
Rayq81

Dont quote me on this but i hear they may also be banning fat people from Bakers shops because of the health risks

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Dont quote me on this but i hear they may also be banning fat people from Bakers shops because of the health risks
Your not far out, see my thread !!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think its a good idea that fags should be hidden. But then I don't smoke.

Maybe they could use the free space that the fags used to occupy to sell more booze.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Closely followed by banning Petrolheads from car showrooms and motoring forums......
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Yep, all that bright shiny packaging on display certainly encourages smoking. That's the reason... if we can't see shiny packaging then we don't want to smoke.

Of course it does kind of ignore that also on display is a lot of "smoking kills" signs... but hey shiny packaging mmmmm

The Government should ban them outright if they are that against smoking. These sorts of initiatives are basically government headline generation IMHO.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Of course it does kind of ignore that also on display is a lot of "smoking kills" signs... but hey shiny packaging mmmmm
Hey we should complain about "NO SMOKING"
signs. Surely they encourage youngster to
be rebellious and experiment!

AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Hey we should complain about "NO SMOKING"
signs. Surely they encourage youngster to
be rebellious and experiment!

Good point well made. I expect to see a government policy initiative on this soon.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Being a non smoker I couldn't really care less, behind the counter, under the counter makes no difference. Strangely I thought pubs were better when they were filled with smoke though.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Being a non smoker I couldn't really care less, behind the counter, under the counter makes no difference. Strangely I thought pubs were better when they were filled with smoke though.
This is certainly bourne out in my Local. During a quiz night break all the smokers go out for a drag, closely followed by the non smokers, leaving the pub just about empty !

Most non smokers I speak to say that not smoking pubs neither improved or made worse their night at the pub.

A lot was made of the fact the non smoking pubs would encourage non smokers to go in them more often, this doesn't seem to have happened. I have a friend whos wife is really, really anti about smoking. How many times has she been to a pub since the ban ? Never.

I accept the fact that lots of people don't like smoke filled rooms but why can't we go back to a very old idea, i.e. Smoking Rooms and Lounge Bars in pubs where you can smoke in one but not the other.

Is it a too simplistic idea which perhaps would suit most people ? Ah no sorry, I forgot, we have to do what we are told these days and not try to apply a little common sense.
harrythesnotgobbler

The government simply dont want people to stop smoking otherwise a packet would cost £1000 or they would be banned, but by putting them under the counter the non smokingpopulus will forget them (becuase we are stupid- out of sight out of mind) and the government still gets its money, which is all it wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythesnotgobbler View Post
The government simply dont want people to stop smoking otherwise a packet would cost £1000 or they would be banned, but by putting them under the counter the non smokingpopulus will forget them (becuase we are stupid- out of sight out of mind) and the government still gets its money, which is all it wants.
I think what the government are trying to achieve is death to fags by a thousand cuts..

I don't think they are bothered in the slightest about the revenue raised through tobacco. If fags and tobacco were completely banned then they would simply tax us in some other way to make up for the lost revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Closely followed by banning Petrolheads from car showrooms and motoring forums......
That one won't be as far away as you think, mate......Theyve already started making driving un-pc through the tax system....

It's not such a huge leap of thought to see the eco-warriors protesting outside Silverstone about the threat to the environment and the waste of resources associted with motor-racing...

it could happen.......
Dibby

It won't make a blind bit of difference putting fags under the counter. It's not as if people pop into a newsagent for some chewing gum and ... "Oooh, while I'm here, I nearly forgot, fags!" People who smoke will smoke regardless of where they are being sold.

Kids aren't coerced into smoking because they're on display, they're pressurised by their mates, their peers and older kids at school smoking. Putting fags under the counter won't make a blind bit of difference IMO.

If the government puts more tax on fags and makes them £1000 a packet, more will come in from the continent. Wasn't there a survey at a football (Liverpool IIRC) stadium, they picked up all the empty fag packets after a match and over half had foreign labels on them!

Some people smoke, some people don't. The government policy makers who don't live in the real world and don't go to the pub in the weekend don't realise this. I don't smoke but I've got no right to tell someone else they shouldn't, if you want to smoke, go for it, you know the risks and it's entirely your choice.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
That one won't be as far away as you think, mate......Theyve already started making driving un-pc through the tax system....

It's not such a huge leap of thought to see the eco-warriors protesting outside Silverstone about the threat to the environment and the waste of resources associted with motor-racing...

it could happen.......
What a shocking yet utterly believable idea.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

I think it's ridiculous. They're only doing it to make it look as if they're doing something to put a stop to smoking, but in reality the tax generated from smokers is huge and would surely be missed should the industry stop. Smokers pay for the NHS, so where's my new lungs?
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerUK View Post
Smokers pay for the NHS, so where's my new lungs?
I have them reserved for me........
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

I don't smoke and agreed with the no smoking in public places thing but this seems ridiculous to me.

Our company is also just delivering in a new holographic pack design to a major UK brand owner which they are very excited about. It will help keep a lot of people in work up here too!

Smokers please let me know if you like it when it hits the shelves in a few weeks. It has taken us over a year since pitching the concept to the tobacco company. You would not believe the technical difficulties involved in producing millions of sqm's of registered holographic images on a wide web of stretchy polyester film just to make a bloomin' fag packet.

Sorry -self interest but it has been a very challenging job we've all been involved in, with huge logistical and technical demands....and if it takes off it could be the saviour of our company plus I want to keep a roof over my family's head!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page