Another EBAY rant - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By Paddy OPlastic
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 2 Post By FredDibnah

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 18-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Another EBAY rant

As i mentioned in anothe thread I putrchased a new radiator for my BMW.

It arrived and not only was it poor quality one of the hose fittings was the wrong size and I couldn't get the hose to seal.

I opened a request to send it back and the seller sent me around in circles, asking for things like my reg number, and original radiator core size despite the fact that was nothing to do with the fault. Then they said I could send it back, but I would have to pay return postage and that my refund would be minus the original postage.

Today I escalated the return to ebay, and I won the case. However I do still need to send it back (not a problem as the seller will pay return postage)

I left negative feedback as I had been messed around and also did a product review stating that the item was poor quality and didn't fit. (All 100% truthful)

However it now looks like the negative feedback and the product review have been removed.

I now have to ask this:

What is the point of product reviews and feedback if you cannot leave truthful comments about service and product quality? How is a buyer supposed to know what they are buying and whether the seller is trustworthy?

The seller is a business seller, so is there one rule for them and one rule for private sellers?

They have sold hundreds of these crappy radiators, I am sure I am not the only one who has had issues with them.

You can no longer rely on ebay feedback. I would advise buying stuff like this elsewhere.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Unfortunate and a tricky one. In my experience leave a positive feedback (because you won the case) and comment on how poor the service was.
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 19-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The seller has received another 3 negative feedback today.

I wonder how long they will stay on there for.

Ebay is corrupt.

Last edited by symon; 19-09-17 at 17:44.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The seller has received another 3 negative feedback today.

I wonder how long they will stay on there for.

Ebay is corrupt.
I disagree, as a buyer I have 100% confidence however as a seller not at all.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I love eBay....but just left my first negative feedback for an item i bought that was cancelled an hour afterwards because he was "out of stock or damaged"....i don't buy that.

I left him negative feedback but then noticed he was selling the item again straight away.....so i bought it again....now he is livid i gave him negative feedback.

He said i should have messaged him before i "negatived" him because the item got "broken" and he only relisted it when he "fixed" the "new and sealed" item.
Could the seller not have messaged me....doh !!

He is sending the new item to me now but after i mentioned that i have been buying for years with a 100% positive rating he replied that i HAD a 100% rating but not anymore.

Twonk...i will await the item arriving...check it out and...then feedback accordingly

Here is his reply to me:

"The Xbox game was brand new and sealed but that does not mean it can't be damaged...

Imagine having a brand new and sealed game on the floor? What would happen if you trod on it? Do you think that little thin plastic sheet will protect the game?

You could of messaged me before leaving negative feedback as I'm trying hard to build a reputation and you have just messed it up for me?

Also, correction you HAD 100% :-)

Yes the game was sent this morning it should be with you on Saturday"

Regards
Tom

Mmmm...how did he make it sealed again ???

Btw i offered to amend his negative feedback if game comes.

Last edited by ronan; 21-09-17 at 12:52.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I am trying to remember if I've ever left negative or neutral. I think I might have once in the dim and distant past.
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 21-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I have left negative an nheitral before. It isn't something i do often, and i don't do it unless the seller really messes me around.

If something arrives damaged/not as described and they take it back with no hassle then that's gine they still get a positive.

If they don't take it back and I have to go through ebay to get my money back then they get a negative.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:
As i mentioned in anothe thread I putrchased a new radiator for my BMW.

It arrived and not only was it poor quality one of the hose fittings was the wrong size and I couldn't get the hose to seal.

I opened a request to send it back and the seller sent me around in circles, asking for things like my reg number, and original radiator core size despite the fact that was nothing to do with the fault. Then they said I could send it back, but I would have to pay return postage and that my refund would be minus the original postage.

Today I escalated the return to ebay, and I won the case. However I do still need to send it back (not a problem as the seller will pay return postage)

I left negative feedback as I had been messed around and also did a product review stating that the item was poor quality and didn't fit. (All 100% truthful)

However it now looks like the negative feedback and the product review have been removed.

I now have to ask this:

What is the point of product reviews and feedback if you cannot leave truthful comments about service and product quality? How is a buyer supposed to know what they are buying and whether the seller is trustworthy?

The seller is a business seller, so is there one rule for them and one rule for private sellers?

They have sold hundreds of these crappy radiators, I am sure I am not the only one who has had issues with them.

You can no longer rely on ebay feedback. I would advise buying stuff like this elsewhere.
You aren't really surprised by this are you? It is a commercial concern, not in the slightest bit interested in the end user. They work on a percentages basis. And you are a very small percent of their total turn over. You actually may not be. But a little bit of massaging of the figures to keep senior management happy is the name of the game. Not just in this instance, but every instance. It goes on at every level of society and for a multitude of reasons - but mainly self preservation. You could go far, if you studied the modus operandi.
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:

I now have to ask this:

Its standard ebay practice to remove feedback when they have been asked to resolve a dispute and as you say, undermines the whole point of the feedback system.

Their latest policy changes are designed to prevent outside of ebay transactions by banning all links and contact details from business seller listing, other than those using the ebay message system so they can spy on your activities using their 'sophisticated seller monitoring software'.
This is fair enough for vehicle and other expensive item listings where scammers are active, but there is no reason why a blanket ban is necessary.
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 24-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

So how would they police this?

You have to get contact info to arrange to view some items. And how are ebay going to know if someone buys your car outside of ebay after they have seen it?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
So how would they police this?

You have to get contact info to arrange to view some items. And how are ebay going to know if someone buys your car outside of ebay after they have seen it?
You tell me!
I think they've been pricked into doing something after the bad publicity on tv where ebay buyers have been scammed by vehicle sellers and sellers of other expensive items. By forcing both parties to use the ebay message system, they can monitor the exchanges.

I expect a lot of vehicle sales are completed out side of ebay but they've now got this covered as well:-
If they suspect this, they will bill the seller an 'introduction fee' and still charge them the final value fee as well as the threat of a policy enforcement and monitoring charge and of course closure of their account. Opening another under a different name will be blocked by their detection software.

They are once again becoming hostile to sellers and not distinguishing between good and bad by the sounds of it.

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 24-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I bought my BMW outside of ebay after going to view it.

The seller even gave me the £20 back that I had saved him in selling fees.

If people send money for a car they haven't even seen especially through insecure means such as bank tranfer then they only got themselves to blame if they get scammed.

I think they are going to get themselves into trouble charging people if they think a sale was completed outside of ebay.

Unless they have 100% proof then people are going to refuse to pay the fee, or take ebay to the small claims court to recover the fee. And without 100% proof then ebay are going to loose the case.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I bought my BMW outside of ebay after going to view it.

The seller even gave me the £20 back that I had saved him in selling fees.

If people send money for a car they haven't even seen especially through insecure means such as bank tranfer then they only got themselves to blame if they get scammed.

I think they are going to get themselves into trouble charging people if they think a sale was completed outside of ebay.

Unless they have 100% proof then people are going to refuse to pay the fee, or take ebay to the small claims court to recover the fee. And without 100% proof then ebay are going to loose the case.
Yes, I think its a scare tactic as all business sellers are getting an email with links to the new terms. Of course if you fight them you'll lose your account instantly.

A court case would clarify the legality of ebay's policies but no seller can afford to take them on. I wonder if you include words to the effect "listed elsewhere so reserve the right to cancel the listing at any time" will work. Probably not if you've had ebay messages about the vehicle.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
E-bay are rubbish because they want their ever-increasing fees from anything you sell but don't want to regulate the market they are creating.

Why should you stop negative feedback? What's with the outrageous fees for return labels? What do they do about customers who regularly 'didn't receive the goods ' etc.

Nowt, in my opinion.
symon likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
I have left negative an nheitral before. It isn't something i do often, and i don't do it unless the seller really messes me around.

If something arrives damaged/not as described and they take it back with no hassle then that's gine they still get a positive.

If they don't take it back and I have to go through ebay to get my money back then they get a negative.
I never return anything (faulty) unless I have opened a case on eBay. I also advise anybody whom I sell to, if there is a problem, to open a case. I agree through the messaging system for the return but ask them to open a case. In my opinion it is safer for both parties as it is monitored through the return procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
E-bay are rubbish because they want their ever-increasing fees from anything you sell but don't want to regulate the market they are creating.

Why should you stop negative feedback? What's with the outrageous fees for return labels? What do they do about customers who regularly 'didn't receive the goods ' etc.

Nowt, in my opinion.
I've never had an issue with eBay as a buyer or seller that could not be easily resolved. I did once have a seller who maintained the watch I bought was perfect (that may have been when he posted it) and was Adam Ant () that I broke it but eBay fixed it.

I have said as a seller your are more likely to lose out than a buyer would (if you exclude wasted time) in a transaction.

As a buyer if you do not receive the goods then raise a case. You WILL get your money refunded or the goods.

I'd would much sooner buy an item off eBay than I would an Amazon trader. I have 100% confidence in eBay as a buyer.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I love eBay....but just left my first negative feedback for an item i bought that was cancelled an hour afterwards because he was "out of stock or damaged"....i don't buy that.

I left him negative feedback but then noticed he was selling the item again straight away.....so i bought it again....now he is livid i gave him negative feedback.

He said i should have messaged him before i "negatived" him because the item got "broken" and he only relisted it when he "fixed" the "new and sealed" item.
Could the seller not have messaged me....doh !!

He is sending the new item to me now but after i mentioned that i have been buying for years with a 100% positive rating he replied that i HAD a 100% rating but not anymore.

Twonk...i will await the item arriving...check it out and...then feedback accordingly

Here is his reply to me:

"The Xbox game was brand new and sealed but that does not mean it can't be damaged...

Imagine having a brand new and sealed game on the floor? What would happen if you trod on it? Do you think that little thin plastic sheet will protect the game?

You could of messaged me before leaving negative feedback as I'm trying hard to build a reputation and you have just messed it up for me?

Also, correction you HAD 100% :-)

Yes the game was sent this morning it should be with you on Saturday"

Regards
Tom

Mmmm...how did he make it sealed again ???

Btw i offered to amend his negative feedback if game comes.

Guess what.....2nd game has been "lost" in the post....think he has thrown a wobbler over my negative feedback and pretended to send it.
He says he will refund me on Friday.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Merchants who are dependent on eBay for their business tend to be very good and proactive in my experience. Buying from people who just have something to sell can be a bit of a lottery.
Pud237 likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

eBay to step in tomorrow to get my £30 back....he's not replying to my emails....and surprise surprise he has been left a 2nd negative feedback for the same game from a different buyer who he let down as well.

Latest : Ebay refunded me but sadly when they step in they don't give me the opportunity to give him more negative feedback
MalcQV likes this.

Last edited by ronan; 04-10-17 at 15:56.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Selling on ebay is fraught with danger. Just sold two pieces of perfectly good furniture that were surplus to our requirements and one buyer contacted us 3 weeks after taking delivery to say it "had an odd smell".... It didn't. We even contacted the buyer of the identical other piece who confirmed it was in tip top condition and didn't "smell" - but the buyer requested a return through ebay on the basis that the item wasn't as described (apparenly we forget to mention the non-existent smell in the advert".....)

ebay gave no option for us to reject the return but simply froze the amount in paypal and we had to pay for it to be collected and returned to us.

We sold it again straight away (after confirming that there was clearly no smell) and the new buyer is delighted with it.

I've no idea what it was all about as the time wasting buyer had to swallow the cost of the original delivery and I had to swallow the cost of the return. We both lost out.

Bizarre though that if a buyer just decides they don't want an item they can say it "wasn't as described" and ebay tell you to take it back.

We could have openeed a cse and fought it, but who needs the hassle.

The issue is ebays lack of a reasonable approach to protect sellers, and some buyers totally unrealistic expectations of a "used" purchase (I know it didn't smell, but I suspect they thought they were going to get something brand new)....

I'm done with eBay
symon and MalcQV like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Never sold anything on eBay...just been "buy now"...have to admit i love it...but if something goes wrong or is a rubbish purchase,i will ask for another item or a refund...never had a problem and will leave positive feedback when dealt with properly.
This time was a one off.
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 07-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I must admit, I now try and sell stuff in other places before listing on ebay.

Too much potential hassle. Not to mention Bloody expensive.

You end up loosing around 13% of your final sale price and you have to pay 13% of the postage as well.

Rip off merchants.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
Selling on ebay is fraught with danger. Just sold two pieces of perfectly good furniture that were surplus to our requirements and one buyer contacted us 3 weeks after taking delivery to say it "had an odd smell".... It didn't. We even contacted the buyer of the identical other piece who confirmed it was in tip top condition and didn't "smell" - but the buyer requested a return through ebay on the basis that the item wasn't as described (apparenly we forget to mention the non-existent smell in the advert".....)

ebay gave no option for us to reject the return but simply froze the amount in paypal and we had to pay for it to be collected and returned to us.

We sold it again straight away (after confirming that there was clearly no smell) and the new buyer is delighted with it.

I've no idea what it was all about as the time wasting buyer had to swallow the cost of the original delivery and I had to swallow the cost of the return. We both lost out.

Bizarre though that if a buyer just decides they don't want an item they can say it "wasn't as described" and ebay tell you to take it back.

We could have openeed a cse and fought it, but who needs the hassle.

The issue is ebays lack of a reasonable approach to protect sellers, and some buyers totally unrealistic expectations of a "used" purchase (I know it didn't smell, but I suspect they thought they were going to get something brand new)....

I'm done with eBay
Fighting it would surely have been to no end. I have yet to hear where a seller has won a case.
Buy with a 100% confidence but sell at peril. I have sold an awful lot on eBay as I'm a hoarder of cameras. Buy em, try em and sell em. I've lost out a bit and need to kick the habit.
Currently got an iPad 4 on as they will no longer receive updates. Not sold one before and I'm a bit scared

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page