BBC - F1 costs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 22-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Not Happy BBC - F1 costs

What a shamefully poor piece of negotiation and profligate spending of licence-payers' money -typical BBC!

If you don't know...

ITV decides to exercise an exit clause midway through their current contract so as to release funds for Champions' League bid.

Bernie has nobody else to turn to with widespread UK coverage so approaches the Beeb who happily shell out 250m of our money for a 5 year deal that is actually HIGHER than ITV was paying.

Now, I'm sorry, but even a novice buyer knows a distress sale when he sees one so why would the BBC be so stupid as to pay more than the existing contract? Bernie should have been offered a modest but fair figure and told he took that risk 12 years ago when he decided to leave them for ITV.

I'd have insisted on concessions, plus a low first year and probably no more than 10m/year for a 5 year deal with renewal options at a pre-determined figure. "Take-it-or-leave it Bernie, we've managed OK without your circus for the last 12 years. You have 30 minutes to accept the offer or it is off the table." He'd understand.

What would you have paid in the BBC's shoes?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Black 159

Re: BBC - F1 costs

I totally agree Jim,i think its great F1 is back on the Beeb but they have paid way over the odds for it. It would have been nice to see Bernie screwed for a change.
HSTDriver

Bernie wouldnt have allowed homself to be screwed, that's the problem. He'd have gone to sky and sold F1 to them. Slightly lower viewing figures for Britain, but when taken as part of a worldwide audience figure the loss would have been negligable. And he'd have got the price he wanted without too much fuss.

(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 22-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Maybe but BBC had the upper hand. It didn't need F1 as much as it needed them. If he'd been had to go to Sky his options and all-important (to the F1 sponsors) viewing figures would be limited further still.

He could have joined the WRC on Dave... along with three year-old re-run repeats of TG.

And it is such a small industry (TV) that they would all know who is interested in what.
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

I agree with HSTDriver.

Bernie is a very clever chap and has not got where he is today by being bent over and bullied. Sky would have loved F1, if you recall they tried a few years back but failed as they didn't have Bernie on side.

The beeb must of been desperate for it!
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 22-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboyuk View Post
I agree with HSTDriver.

Bernie is a very clever chap and has not got where he is today by being bent over and bullied. Sky would have loved F1, if you recall they tried a few years back but failed as they didn't have Bernie on side.

The beeb must of been desperate for it!
Indeed, he is clever and sharp as a tack. I respect him. My rant is at the BBC for failing to do a better job of buying his product when they were in a very advantageous negotiating position.

As you say, he didn't favour Sky before which further strengthens the Beeb's position. He needs the viewing figures even more than the actual fees he gets or the big sponsors go walkies.
AO Silver Member

i bet steve 'i didnt listen to your answer to my question but ill ask it three more times in slightly different ways and still not listen' ryder is well ****ed off that he has lost his cushy little number talking twadle about a subject he knows bugger all about

bet he wishes he stuck with the sun of Masters golf on the beeb.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

I think its good that F1 will be back on the BBC and prefer them to spend 250m on this than football.

As for the cost - I believe the BBC brought it for all formats in the UK i.e. including digital; does anyone know if ITV had it for all formats or just terrestrial???
VO2Max

The BBC bought it for all formats, terrestrial, digital, Radio5 Live too probably, and the rapidly-expanding internet platform. There will be a big tie-in with other BBC programmes like Top Gear, Grandstand etc (until we are blue in the face, no doubt ). I may be wrong, but I think the BBC get the rights to sell coverage to other broadcasters around the world too? (I was even going to say it would give the BBC OB units some work, but they are being sold off in another display of silverware offloading ).
Don't forget, virtually everywhere you read about the deal that the BBC struck with F1 will be presented in a fashion hostile to the BBC, you think the Sun, The Times and the News of the World are going to be objective about it? Let alone the Daily Mail, the Daily Telegraph and even the Mirror.

...I still think Jonathan Ross is an overpaid pillock, mind...

AO Gold Member

County: -

Glad its not on Sky's payperview rip off channel tbh!
AO Member

I heard on the radio that the reason the BBC had to compensate for the lack of advertising. (every bloody 15-20 mins on ITV).

I would rather the beeb spend money on F1, rather then Horse racing, poker, "Reality tv shows", Bowling, or some crappy soap...

No offence intended to fans of the above!
EddieGTA

250m is a lot of money, but as said if the beeb hadn't paid that murdoch would have snapped it up. Who knows he may have even had an offer out there somewhere.

ITV snapped up motorsports including rally when they lost the big football deal in a bid to keep people in the sports department employed. Trouble was if it didn't involve a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around a field they weren't interested. So I am glad it is away from them now.

mikebrown

great its going back to BBC...

Frankly, i'm glad to see the license fee being spent on something I actually WANT to watch for a change!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
Frankly, i'm glad to see the license fee being spent on something I actually WANT to watch for a change!!!
Couldn't agree more - the best 250mil ever spent
(Post Link) post #16 of 24 Old 24-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I'm not unhappy about it being back on the BBC. I just question what they paid.

Looked at another way. Assuming all 21 million license payers actually pay up and pay the full 135.50 p.a. it amounts to just shy of 2% of their total annual revenue.

Add in what they pay the likes of Wossie, Wogan etc and is it any wonder they are always moaning there's not enough money for quality programming?
VO2Max

No, it's £50M a year, 0.4% pa of the Licence Fee, the deal is for 5 years of F1.

(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 24-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
No, it's £50M a year, 0.4% pa of the Licence Fee, the deal is for 5 years of F1.
Like I said

ca. 2% if everyone pays in full.

£135.50 x 21mi x 2% = £56mi. Roughly a year's F1 is roughly 2%.

Or more accurately 1.8% if we need to get to that level of accuracy in rant. I rest my case.
VO2Max

You're quite right, my apologies . But if Sky had got it and (hypothetically) you got Sky Sports because you wanted to watch it, you'd pay more for just that than you pay for the whole of the BBC for one year - and only Sky viewers would get to watch it.

It's called Public Service Broadcasting. No one will ever be happy with it of course though, because they see it as a tax, because they have to pay for it.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now before I make a fool of myself again...or maybe I just did...

AO Member

It has been rumoured (nothing more) that Bernie and Flavio Briatore are considering the BBC's Wood Lane site (or part of it) for a new home for their other interest - Queens Park Rangers Football Club, who are currently based in an ageing stadium very nearby. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Bernie's tender/offer came up trumps when the site comes to market, giving the Beeb a rebate of sorts. I'll be interested to see how this one unfolds.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Better spent than on some costume drama !!
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
I heard on the radio that the reason the BBC had to compensate for the lack of advertising. (every bloody 15-20 mins on ITV).

I would rather the beeb spend money on F1, rather then Horse racing, poker, "Reality tv shows", Bowling, or some crappy soap...

No offence intended to fans of the above!
Exactly right. ITV would have been giving Bernie a slice of the advertising revenue. The Beeb can't and so have to pay the money themselves to put in a competitive bid.

For the money spent, I'd like to think this probably underwent a degree of scrutiny at the Beeb (probably at the Governer level) and no doubt would have included independent advice on how to value the bid.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

The beeb have paid over the odds for it, althopugh it will be good to watch a race without those infernal ads.

I think F1 is going to decline in popularity over the next five years - to little overtaking - to many rules being brought in and having no effect on the actual racing.

Give me BTCC anyday for enjoyment not a procession of 18 cars following Ferrari and Maclaren round a track for 200 miles.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post

He could have joined the WRC on Dave... along with three year-old re-run repeats of TG.

I heard somewhere that BBC owns a huge whack of Dave (hence the constant repeats of BBc stuff) so there will doubtless be plenty of F1 on Dave.

As long as they get rid of Allen & Brundle and go back to paying Mick Fleetwood royalties.

DUM... DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUUUMM!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page