Rubbish quality items - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

13Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 64 Old 09-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Rubbish quality items

Is it me or does the quality of items these days seem very poor?

I have had several instances or poor quality car parts recently, and not just stuff bought on ebay.

I bought a half decent (so I thought) water pump for our old focus. Within two weeks it was leaking and replacing it would have required removing the cambelt again.

A waterpump which I originally bought for my BMW 528i was sold by me to a friend a couple of months back. He fitted it to his car and it leaked pretty much straight away, so I ended up giving him his money back.

My dad bought some switchgear for his MG midget, and after two uses the switch simply fell apart.

Today I went to fit a replacement radiator to my BMW and the hose connection is slightly too small. The result is that the coolant leaks out and I am stuck without a car until I can get a better replacement.

None of these items were bottom of the barrel stuff, I always try and go for at least the mid range in terms of price due to the poor quality of cheap items.

It isn't just limited to car stuff either. A year ago I bought a brand new Toshiba laptop, and the damn thing hasn't worked properly ever since day one. If I was IT savvy I could probably fix it, but isn't it just too much to ask that something should work as it should do out of the box?

Is it actually possible to buy good quality gear these days? Even the branded stuff seems to be hit and miss quality wise these days.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Benjamin Franklin: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
ALFAGUY147 and 3litrev6 like this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 64 Old 09-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualSaint View Post
Benjamin Franklin: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
How true that is...

But how about the taste of poor quality is much bitterer when the price wasn't cheap.

That would be more accurate in my case.
ALFAGUY147 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Is this a tyre thread?

I find that good brands try and introduce budget products to grow their market and then sully their name.

Crumpler (The Aussie bag makers) are one that comes to mind.
(Post Link) post #5 of 64 Old 09-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Is this a tyre thread?
No, but some tyres are definitely rubbish.

I think that has already been done to death though.
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Underpants. And all other clothes. Becoming steadily cheaper and nastier.

Definitely does apply to other things too, white goods for example, boilers too. I think we've all become more price driven, retail and manufacturing are under great pressure to reduce their non existent margins, and the result is a race to the bottom. (See underpants, above).
cue2 likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
How true that is...

But how about the taste of poor quality is much bitterer when the price wasn't cheap.

That would be more accurate in my case.
Ouch the worst of both worlds....
(Post Link) post #8 of 64 Old 09-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post

Definitely does apply to other things too, white goods for example, boilers too. I think we've all become more price driven, retail and manufacturing are under great pressure to reduce their non existent margins, and the result is a race to the bottom. (See underpants, above).
We have a fairly modern combi boiler in the attic, and it is always causing problems. No heating from time to time, no hot water until you turn the tap on flat out, water going hot and cold continually. Engineer can find nothing wrong.

I can see what my father doesn't want to get rid of the old Baxi Bermuda boiler at his house.

It has rarely gone wrong in its 35 year life.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Yep, I only get my car parts from sources I trust. You blokes/ladies in the UK are fortunate to have dedicated and knowledgeable people like Alfaworkshop and Autolusso to name a couple. For the last several years I've been using Jamie Porters' site to order order parts for my 147. Never had a problem with quality. I know it's not recommended but I've been running my 147 for 4 years (40,000km) between cam belt changes without issue after 16 years of ownership. It's having it's going on to its 5th belt as I write. We don't get the extremes of cold here like you do in the UK nor do I do much stop-start driving. The cam tensioners purchased from Jamie have never looked like being on their last legs in that distance.
Ralf S. and symon like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post

Oh no! Cheap and nasty underpants!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 1.6 Sport

Most stuff these days is made down to a price rather that up to a standard.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Mums tumble dryer has just died after 32 years excellent service. I think it was a hotpoint.

Thing is it was second hand when she bought it so probably dates back to early 80s, just can't argue with that !
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 1.6 Sport

We still have a working microwave dating from the late 70's.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolegan View Post
Most stuff these days is made down to a price rather that up to a standard.
Yes and sadly because that is what the consumer demands, its all about value for money as opposed to quality

Thats why its great to hold on to older stuff that was built to last more than 5 minutes, it gives immense satisfaction that everyday items are still plodding along 30 or 40 years later, i won't give stuff up just to keep up with fashion.

Its a cracking age for a microwave btw
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Talking of cracking, I bought a new bicycle with a carbon fibre frame. The warranty document has a statement that says that you may expect expensive things to last , but this frame won't. It proceeds to describe how to check for cracks , at which point you need a new one.
(Post Link) post #16 of 64 Old 15-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

A friend of mine bought a brand new Cannondale racing bike. Aluminium framed so not one of their most expensive items.

After the first gentle run the seat tube to top bar weld had broken.

They wouldn't take it back under warranty as they argued it was his fault saying he had the seat too high (Which he didn't)

So there is expensive crap out there, as well as very poor customer service.

As for Microwaves we inherited my Mum's Sharp one from 1983, it lasted until 2009.

We replaced it with a cheapo Sanyo (30) and that is still going well.

We also have a 6 Asda Kettle which is still going strong at 9 years old.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
We have a fairly modern combi boiler in the attic, and it is always causing problems. No heating from time to time, no hot water until you turn the tap on flat out, water going hot and cold continually. Engineer can find nothing wrong.

I can see what my father doesn't want to get rid of the old Baxi Bermuda boiler at his house.

It has rarely gone wrong in its 35 year life.
We had a Baxi Bermuda in our old house. The Parents bought it second hand and it must've lasted 20 years just with us - was still working when we moved house in 2010.

Must admit though, the more modern wall-mounted boilers in our recent couple of houses have been more or less faultless too. They're made by Ideal (in Hull I believe) and despite having only a fair to middling reputation, they've all been fine, despite getting an absolute thrashing - the Parents have the heating on far too much and I spend wayyy too long in the bathroom!

They've all been only standard wall-mounted boilers though, not Combi's - I'd generally resist a Combi as far as possible, they just seem to complex for the standard of the components, much like the more tech-heavy versions of white goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber Tony GT View Post
Mums tumble dryer has just died after 32 years excellent service. I think it was a hotpoint.

Thing is it was second hand when she bought it so probably dates back to early 80s, just can't argue with that !
Just make sure she doesn't replace it with a new Hotpoint - they're absolutely shocking now, and those made between 2004 & 2015 are subject to a huge recall Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan And Proline Tumble Dryers Recall | Electrical Safety First

The company's response to this has been dreadful, with some people waiting around a year for an engineer to attend and carry out the modification.

If she needs a new dryer, go White Knight (cheap), Zanussi (mid-price), AEG (bit more expensive) or Miele (top-end). Pretty much all other drier brands are severely compromised. If she wants to be patriotic, White Knight are the only dryer manufacturer who make their products in the UK (all vented dryers and some condensers - some condensers are imported).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

My last built-in dishwasher lasted fifteen to twenty years, but I bought a new Bosch one three years ago. A month back, when my daughter opened the door, it fell violently instead of making a graceful descent. On the kitchen floor was a short length of broken string.
AO Platinum Member

I bought a new Beko washing machine when I thought I was going to move house, then didn't as the sale fell through...

15 months later I'm in the new, new place and I start to use "Beaker" for the first time. It lasts 10 washes before the PCB packs up.

Beko don't want to know, other than they'll pay for the parts needed, as a goodwill gesture. 10 washes before the PCB fails requires "goodwill"..

AO.com ("AO, it don't go..." ) don't want to know either since it's out of warranty but will fix it if I buy one of their extended warranties for 149. Beaker cost 220... I tells them they're surely taking the ****. In the end we haggle and they charge me "just" 100 for the warranty... which would last a whole year and however many more times (if any) Beaker goes wrong.

The warranty guy comes out and says it needs a new PCB... although he is "shocked" how new the machine is and "surprised" that Beko nor AO didn't just replace it... (Thanks! Very helpful.... ) The warranty company price up the PCB ....and then decide it's too dear... so they cancel the policy and give me my 149 back. Nice touch!

Now AO wants to give me a deprecated refund of 115 for the machine... so it's cost me 105 for approx. 10 washes (i.e. 10.50 per wash, plus detergent and leccy). I told them the woman next door will do my laundry for 5 a time... but it doesn't wash (do you see what I did there? ) with AO.

Meanwhile... Beko will pay for the parts still.. so I have a cunning plan to get AO to give me their 115 (as long as they agree not to take the machine back) and I'll use that to pay for the Beko repairman to fit the free PCB.

I may or may not end up exactly where I was a couple of months ago.. (in possession of a "new" machine that owes me 220)... but 8 weeks without a machine and The Younger Mrs S. is not really happy...

On another note... I buy a spare "genuine" Bosch cooker element from Fleabay. It has no Bosch packaging or logos so I question the seller. He says "that's what Bosch send out". Hmmm..... I contact Bosch asking them how can I tell if a "genuine" Bosch is really genuine... i.e. does it have Bosch packaging or logos.... and so far, there's been no reply.

Everything is ****e these days..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
I find that good brands try and introduce budget products to grow their market and then sully their name.

Crumpler (The Aussie bag makers) are one that comes to mind.
I bought a Crumpler suitcase last year.

After two trips it looks like an internal section of plastic is wearing through the corner of the case lid.
Emailed them with photos etc.

"Normal wear and tear, not out problem."

Last time I buy anything from them.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Wife (cheap to run, reasonable quality) complained "we" hadn't cleaned the washing machine filter recently. Knelt to open flap, couldn't due to rubbish plastic "hinges" and badly fitting flap. Obtained scewdriver, managed to prise open. Unscrewed filter and it turned and turned but wouldn't come out. Obtained heavy pliers to pull while turning, filter came out.

Make is Hoover. Inoperable by anyone without the strength and toolbox of a real man.
(Post Link) post #22 of 64 Old 19-11-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Hoover stuff has been average for as long as I can remember. My father worked for them nearly 30 years ago, and it wasn't great back then.

In fact a lot of their classic vacuum cleaners were discontinued because they lasted too long.

Last edited by symon; 19-11-17 at 13:28.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The crazy waste of materials that is built-in obsolescence. We have a new kitchen on order and have an old one to chuck out. The legs on the units just break off with a light kick when not in the normal setup. The boards on the back are what they can get away with. We were trying to reuse some of it in our utility room because it still works ,and morally it's less waste , but the builders threw it out.
AO Silver Member

County: -
See my post on MTEC brake discs for the Giulietta QV in this very Rant Room.
(Post Link) post #25 of 64 Old 02-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I am going to dig this thread back up, as I seem to be having a 50% sucess rate at the moment with stuff, and whether it is any good or not.

last week bought a pack of Diall branded LED lights from B&Q to go in the living room. 2 days later when being turned on BANG, the bulb goes out and the house fuse trips. Taking the bulb from the socket reveals a hole in the base of the bulb on the connector. How it hasn't damaged my light fitting I will never know. They were not cheap either, at least to buy.

Also last week I bought a secong LNB for the satellite dish so that I can watch f1 for free on RTL. I went to set it up and the thread for the coax connector was too small. How the hell does that even happen? I got my money back from the seller but not without loads of arguing over it.
I have a replacement, which is probably fine but I just cannot get it to pick up what it says it will pick up.

Thirdly, not so much a quality issue but bought a set of Aerotwin wiper blades for the car. Despite the advert saying they fit, the fitting is completely different. Only a generic picture on the listing unfortunately, otherwise it would have been obvious.

Has anyone else got their own examples of crappy stuff?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page