WTF is wrong with people slagging off AO? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 108 Old 18-03-08 Thread Starter

Madness WTF is wrong with people slagging off AO?

I am disappointed with the attitudes (especially from more senior/older members) towards the changes that AO have made in the attempt to make the board easier to manage, and control, as well as the various technical issues that I believe may have also prompted the change….

There have I feel been un-warranted accusations levied towards Mods and the people behinds this site…..

People lets get real….this site have grown into a huge success and with that come new challenges and new attempts to make the forum more useable and easier/quicker for all concerned.

In its attempt to do something constructive for the forum it has obviously alienated a section that believe the changes are detrimental to their usage of the forum and the past usability that they were used to but sadly bringing into question the integrity of the people behind the move to implement the changes.

With any changes things will differ and make the user feel either grateful or dissatisfied.

The grateful will more than likely be happy and silent in the new changes not voicing an opinion, whereas the dissatisfied will be more vocal and air their views more publicly.

But would it not be intelligent to see what the benefits are and look at the pros and cons before running the forum down?

Being a manager if I heard such a notion coming from my employees, I would take them to one-side – and explain this ‘ I run the show – if you don’t like it there is the door, thank you for your time and effort, but I can see no point in you continuing your employment with me’

In other words if you don’t like it **** off.

Now the forum is trying to educate people to the reasons behind the changes but all its getting is flack from individuals – more in the line of a whining child that has had its toy taken away and told its time for bed….

GROW UP!!

Let’s see over the next few weeks what happens and see if it does really change the usage for the better or worse….If the changes are detrimental to the continued success then, I am sure steps will be taken to make any necessary changes to avoid the forum dropping into the doldrums…

If the people are that concerned then why not voice the concerns in a more constructive manner….sensible POLL's etc.

Now I know it’s a bit rich coming from Mr Angry….but many people know I speak and talk straight as I see it and say my piece and speak my mind….

If there is any slagging off to be done and not listening to others point of view – please remember that is my job – I have cornered a niche on this – so please stop stepping on my toes….Thankyou…

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: WTF is wrong with people slagging off AO?

Eh? Have I missed something?
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Eh? Have I missed something?
Think he's on about the chat thread rant - this will be the thread to say how good it is.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Ok boss chris, name the day on which people can start saying how they feel. We can all put it in our diaries and ensure we attend on time

It's a rather arrogant manager who can see no flaw in his style and accept no criticism. Surely it is possible for some of his employees to be astute enough to spot problems quickly. Even before he does

When people first started having a go about the changes, the day after they had been introduced, I suggested we wait and see as one day was a bit brief. We have waited for approaching two weeks now and some people are obviously ready to make their feelings know.

I'm still not sure myself. There are pro's and con's on both sides but what I have watched is some unerring arrogance from admin.

This is supposed to be a club. It is not supposed to be a dictatorship. The members of that club should be allowed to express their opinions whether we or particularly you in the case of this thread, agree with them or not.

There is a poll already started by me.

I would also have to concede that many of the people attacking change are those who defended it in the past. Kind of ironic really.

However, changes in the past have been part of the dynamic of a forum, brought about by the fluidity of the users. The difference now is that the change has been brought about by admin in a deliberate attempt to introduce a difference.

Over the last year or so, members have been suggesting ways of bringing about change in a way that would retain the overall feel of the forum. Most noteably the introduction of separate lounges for the drivel / round robin / joke types of thread. This seems to have been dismissed even though it had probably evolved into being the most acceptable solution. But there has been no dialogue with members.

This is not a similar case to your position at work chris. You pay your employees to be there and therefore expect them to do as you wish. We however, pay for the privelidge of being here and do not neccessarily take kindly to being told what to do in an arrogant, like it or lump it manner.

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
If there is any slagging off to be done and not listening to others point of view – please remember that is my job – I have cornered a niche on this – so please stop stepping on my toes….Thankyou…

Chris

I hope people realise this is the rant room and you have used it appropriately, and therefore don't take it all too seriously Chris.
Otherwise you're going to have a lot of slagging off and not listening to people to do.
(Post Link) post #6 of 108 Old 18-03-08 Thread Starter

Yes gibbo - but I would not expect an empoyee to point out I made a mistake in a public manner....more along the lines of a private chat where he can tell me I am an idiot, and of course I can advise him of the errors of his thinking.

But if you look at some of the posts - I do find them a bit strong in light of what was supposed to be change for the better to assist with the smooth running of the site and add more features...etc

2 weeks is a bit short don't you think ?

Yes voice concerns to the relevent people...behind the scene.

People are saying I have paid I am part of this forum, I have been here for a number of years contributing to the success..etc

Then it should be obvious not to wash our laundary in public on this - as I feel it is damaging to the forum and does not look good to new members, and also does not show the more senior member in a good light....

Its almost like I have been the one that has made this site a success. I have not been advised of the changes - why was I not consulted...etc

We post....these guys are working behind the scenes tirelessly to keep things running smoothly and to keep discussions from going out of control....etc

Lets spare a thought for them rather than ourselves on this one....

The smarter swordsman cuts where he meets little resistance...

Chris
(Post Link) post #7 of 108 Old 18-03-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

I hope people realise this is the rant room and you have used it appropriately, and therefore don't take it all too seriously Chris.
Otherwise you're going to have a lot of slagging off and not listening to people to do.
Shut your face......

Git.....

Chris
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Eeeee, our bazza. It's just like the old days before all these newbies like Nomad, Kurzon, Gibbo and Big Foot came along isn't it?

We just need some 155ers to visit now.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Chris don't make me get GT to get medieval on your ass again

BTW If you think i am going to grow up you can :sw: right off
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

I personally haven't seen anyone 'slagging off' AO....
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Not a bad rant as rants go, eloquent, pointed although not quite as vitriolic as I would have liked and you have on a few occasions asked questions with no sense of whether they are rhetorical or not.

I give it...

6 out of 10 - A good effort but more thought needs to be given to the concept of 'The Rant'.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Yes gibbo - but I would not expect an empoyee to point out I made a mistake in a public manner....more along the lines of a private chat where he can tell me I am an idiot, and of course I can advise him of the errors of his thinking.
Can I just point out that mistake

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Eeeee, our bazza. It's just like the old days before all these newbies like Nomad, Kurzon, Gibbo and Big Foot came along isn't it?

Brings a tear to my eyes.
The buggers can't bully me with their V6's any more though

Let's hope the great 155 schism of 2005 (or whenever) isn't followed by the great Chat room breakaway of 2008
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
It's time we pensioned all you old :sw: s off IMO
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Let's hope the great 155 schism of 2005 (or whenever) isn't followed by the great Chat room breakaway of 2008
They'd all have to learn the difference between a chatroom and a forum then wouldn't they?

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Sometimes people can make surprisingly accurate assessments of a situation in an instant. I thought that one day was too short but clearly that could be wrong. In another couple of weeks we may start to get some considered opinions. Who knows, by then even I may have made my mind up

As to whether or not it should be discussed in public, I think it should. However I would agree with you that those who do so should be temperate and polite. There has been arrogance on all sides of this debate. This is a forum for opinions and the formulation of opinion. We shouldn't have to check behind the scenes first, in my view. But we should not call names or make unsubstantiated claims.

As a newcomer to a forum I would be both surprised and yet impressed by a community that was prepaired to discuss it's problems openly with no fear of shame or reprisals. I suggest it would give the impression of a very mature environment.

I trust that, as a reasonably long term member of this place, I have tried to instigate a reasoned discussion. I do not like the name calling and vitriol but we are dealing with an emotional subject and, to a degree, it is to be expected.

I hope the moderators know that their work is appreciated by nigh on 100% of the members. There will always be ingrates, unfortunately that is the nature of all voluntary work, rightly or wrongly. They must also be seen to give the same degree of respect as they themselves would expect to receive. Without naming names, some responses from admin have been quite poor and bound to incite ill feeling.

Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
It's time we pensioned all you old :sw:s off IMO
Fur-q!

AO Platinum Member

Gibbster your taking this rant way too seriously mate
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Oh I don't know....
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Gibbster your taking this rant way too seriously mate
Am I or are you guys way too flippant

Let's have a poll

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Am I or are you guys way too flippant

Let's have a poll

If you have a poll would you mind if I dance swim round it .....don't want to feel left out is all

edit: forgetting who I was there for a mo
AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen

Quote:

count me in
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Fur-q!
And my comment goes double for adopted garlic sniffers
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Wimster

We don't see enough of you fella

AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Wimster

We don't see enough of you fella
I know
been to busy lately to do any serious posting
(as if that's an excuse )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page