A Rant About The Rates. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 17-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

A Rant About The Rates.

This ties in pretty much with the VED Thread, ie, we're all stitched up again.

My Rates Bill dropped through the bad news portal this morning. Overall rise 11.1 %, Police bit of it is a mere 78.9 % rise !

With interest rates falling my overall " pay " rise for this year will be lucky to hit 1 %. Where do the powers that be think we get our money from ? Tried to grow a money tree in the garden but that didn't work.

I'd go for a glass of whisky but not sure I can afford it any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: A Rant About The Rates.

Shocking ain't it.. I think my mum's increased by a similar amount last year. In a few months I will have graduated from uni and will be liable for council tax, I'm going to have to find a bunch of students who have a room to rent for cash as I just can't afford to pay this ridiculous tax.

There's no future for the working man in this country.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Been told that ours are high down here, to lighten the burden up North? Now it looks as if we are all in the same boat, from that which you chaps are telling me? Who's fooling who then?
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Had my water rates at the weekend and that had gone up by about 15%.

Expecting the rates to come through this week with about a 6% increase and for what I have to ask.

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

My council tax has gone up by at least 10% every year for the last seven years. One year it went up by 15%! Unfortunately we get punished for voting Conservative.
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 17-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Had my water rates at the weekend and that had gone up by about 15%.

Expecting the rates to come through this week with about a 6% increase and for what I have to ask.
Went on a meter for my water and saved 50 % but I think this would only work if you don't have a young family but it certainly worked for me and I can still have a bath once a year whether I need it or not !
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Went on a meter for my water and saved 50 % but I think this would only work if you don't have a young family but it certainly worked for me and I can still have a bath once a year whether I need it or not !
I'm only at home twice a week so maybe a meter is a good idea.

My council tax is up by about 5%. God knows what the water is but I am on a meter and they keep cocking it up, but in my favour luckily.

Train fare though has gone up by about 15% this year, and from what I read they intend hiking it up by similar each year for the next two/three years. 6 years ago when I started working in London it was just under 100/month, now it is 161/month.

AO Platinum Member

Those meters are pretty naff, imo.: For starters, ours is stuck in a hole with a large piece of plastic pipe surrounding it, but just the good old earth at the bottom,(not sealed) so the earth rises up to the meter, and has to be 'dug out' before you can read it! Plus, the wee plastic window on it is now opaque where it has been wiped with a gritty, shi***e rag, and the condensate wiper don't work. But I just about manage to read it, cos' I don't trust them!
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Those meters are pretty naff, imo.: For starters, ours is stuck in a hole with a large piece of plastic pipe surrounding it, but just the good old earth at the bottom,(not sealed) so the earth rises up to the meter, and has to be 'dug out' before you can read it! Plus, the wee plastic window on it is now opaque where it has been wiped with a gritty, shi***e rag, and the condensate wiper don't work. But I just about manage to read it, cos' I don't trust them!
I was worried as I came to realise that in the time I had been in my flat it had never been read, and I hadn't managed to find it. Contractors have been replacing all the pipes though and bless them, were too stupid to find which meter belonged to which flat so were ringing everyones door and seeing whos water went off when they tuned them off in turn.

I ran out with my bill and got them to read the bloody thing for me, but at least I know which man hole it is under now

AO Platinum Member

Eddie gta, you are on the right lines, watch em' like a hawk! My problem is, I have to kneel on creaky joints, and then people waiting at the nearby bus stop keep asking "What's down there then mate?" I say things like, "It's where I keep my money." To be answered with,"No, really, you're joking of course?"
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 19-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Eddie gta, you are on the right lines, watch em' like a hawk! My problem is, I have to kneel on creaky joints, and then people waiting at the nearby bus stop keep asking "What's down there then mate?" I say things like, "It's where I keep my money." To be answered with,"No, really, you're joking of course?"
You have to watch 'em. Four months after the meter was fitted I got a bill for the " standard " water rates. 'phoned them up and eventually they agreed that they had fitted a meter and to ignore the bill. Several weeks later got a " red " letter threatening to take me to County Court unless I paid asap ! A good rant by 'phone, email, fax and snailmail ( wanted to cover all options ) and it was sorted out.

Point is though that I can cope with these things, what if it'd been the little old lady down the road?
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Not sure if this helps, but I get a 25% dicount on my CT for "single person occupancy"...'course, I'll be paying for the divorce for another 100 years...
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bermuda View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I get a 25% dicount on my CT for "single person occupancy"...'course, I'll be paying for the divorce for another 100 years...
Yes us sad lonely singletons get some discount, still for a 2 bed flat in Dartford I pay about 900.

AO Platinum Member

Ours are much more acceptable on the metering system. Just need to do those self checks to make sure the 'Boyos' are reading them correctly?:
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
This ties in pretty much with the VED Thread, ie, we're all stitched up again.

My Rates Bill dropped through the bad news portal this morning. Overall rise 11.1 %, Police bit of it is a mere 78.9 % rise !

With interest rates falling my overall " pay " rise for this year will be lucky to hit 1 %. Where do the powers that be think we get our money from ? Tried to grow a money tree in the garden but that didn't work.

I'd go for a glass of whisky but not sure I can afford it any more.
Feeling for ya, luckily my rates are frozen this year thanks to the Scotish parliment, the powers that be forget that we actually have to 'BUY' our own TV's and kitchen, etc. Not just fill in a form and use the taxpayers hard earned to pay for it. It's a discrace that they 'our servants' seem to think that if they need more cash in the coffers for thier annual 8% increase that they can have ours. This is typical money wasting of government proportions, any of you that have been in the military will have witnessed the way that system works.

I shall use a single washer (2p from Halfrauds) as an example here.
I need the washer to complete the job on the aircraft, I order it, but theyonly come in packets of 100, so I get the 100 washers, this is after the have been certified for use on aircraft (it's a plain steel washer btw) at a cost of 25 per batch. Now this washer is not in stock on camp, but there are some on a camp in Norfolk (I'm in Moray), It's 2pm and instead of going to Halfrauds to buya pack of 10 for 20p they will courier up the packet of 100 washers at a cost on 1/mile, some 590 miles, now I get my washer, what about the other 99? Well they go in the bin,we are not allowed to keep them and the system can not take the stock back once the seal is broken on the packaging. So this washer which would have cost 3 from Halfrauds in fuel and item cost has now just cost the taxpayer ~ 620. This is not a one off case and you wonder where yor taxes go. This wasn't even as bad as this until the RAF got some outside company in to 'LEAN' our working practices, we are not a factory and do not know what is needed in the next hour let alone quarter, so how can you 'LEAN' that?

My point though is, that if they were to take a step back and actually run it as the people on the shop floor say and not as some indy consultancy that are only in it for the 2M paycheck then maybe all our taxes could be cut and not just frozen.
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 20-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bermuda View Post
Been there and done that. Cost a lot..........

I have been where Smaky is and it is horrifying the amount of money that is wasted although whilst working as a civvy for MoD in an AV section managed to get " special " dispensation and we were pretty much free to source equipment and spares from whom we thought was the best supplier, this may be the way to go ? ?

Latest on the Rates here in Boston was that the Borough Council are not happy with the 78.9% rise in the police precept and are going to send a letter to the County Council..........

I'll offer a reward to anyone who CANNOT guess the outcome of this ! File 13 I reckon.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Mine's up from 863.36 to 932.82.

According to Stevenage Borough Council, that's a 4.5% rise.

Funny, but my sums make it an increase of 69.46 on 863.36. Which is 8%.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

I let my wife pay ours so I didn't know what they were until last week - 2200 pa.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfens View Post
Mine's up from 863.36 to 932.82.

According to Stevenage Borough Council, that's a 4.5% rise.

Funny, but my sums make it an increase of 69.46 on 863.36. Which is 8%.
Count yourself lucky, mine's 1170 on a Band C. Thankfully I've moved from my last place which was Band D and would have been 1316.25.

Don't understand why my two bedroom flat was Band D and my three bedroom house is Band C, but I'm not complaining about that!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page