Dustbins- Double Standards ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 11-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Dustbins- Double Standards ?

Alot of fuss over recent months about the fortnightly emptying of dustbins. Amongst other things the authorities said that this would NOT encourage vermin, maggots etc.

The latest ? They are now refusing to empty bins with the lids even sligthy open 'cos this WILL encourage vermin !

Am I missing something again ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Dustbins- Double Standards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post

Am I missing something again ?
Forget anything you have/will read/hear.

It's about money. How much they can charge
and how much they can "save".

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

We've been quite lucky. We have retained our weekly rubbish collection, and have a bi-weekly recycling collection too.
They have recently upped the recycling collection. Used to be just cans and plastic, now they take cardboard, paper and plastic too.
Unfortunately, they have bitten off more than they can chew I think. Our recycling day is a monday, and often it doesn't actually get collected till Tuesday, because they've still only got one truck, doing twice as much work.
The three different recycling containers appears to have confused the binmen too. More often than not, when we go out to collect the empty crates, they've given one or more of ours to a random neighbour. In fact, last time our red one disappeared completely, and only re-appeared two weeks later (yesterday) after the following collection.
Think we might have to write our number on them.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
HSTDriver

We have fortnightly refuse collection, and guess what?.....................

It's absolutley fine, no smells, no vermin. (Other than the bloomin' neighbours cats-which are definately vermin, but they were here when we had weekly collection)

I'd hazard a guess that 80-90% of our families waste is recycled now, which is also collected fortnightly, and we compost some food waste and other bits and bobs too.

Some areas do need weekly collection Im sure, but many would manage perfectly fine with fortnightly collection, and a little more thought to what they throw away on their part.

(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 11-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

I'm also happy with the fortnightly collection idea, it's the " say one thing one minute and something else the next " which gets me, just to suit their agenda at that particular time.

To me either lots of waste piled up and the bin lid open causes problems or it doesn't - can't have it both ways !

Hang on, I am talking about our esteemed government here....... Spin ? What spin ?
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

We've had fortnightly collections for quite a while - one week recycling and green waste the following Land Fill - and like HST had no vermin problems either!!
We live in a rural (ish) location and the grain storage silos across the lane have loads of rats in an around them !!
Our bin men also won't take the bins if they're slightly open and they also open the tops to look inside and if there's something they don't think should be there they throw it either on the drive, on top of the other bins that have already been emptied or don't take it at all !!
Funny thing is though... if it is left unemptied... one call to the council and it's emptied no questions asked
But now we are being encouraged to put food waste in the Green bin - garden waste - that's going to smell nice after two weeks in the summer isn't it

I think we'll stick to the waste disposal and the septic tank for food waste thanks all the same !!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Nomes when I lay my vengeance upon you.
AO Bratpacker No1
D I L L I G A F
*Muppet Attack Mode Activated*
Nev

We seem to get a collection every couple
of days, whether it be recycle, paper/cardboard
or refuse.

The rats here are big enough.
Feeding the ****ers due to lax
collections would make 'em as
big as horses. It's the 21st century.
No excuse for this penny pinching
when it comes to public health.

I still think my idea of using a freezer
to store garbage in third world countries
like the UK makes sense....

AO Silver Member

We get recycling every week, and bins every fortnight.
Generally not too bad, unless we happen to be away the week when the bins are emptied, so we end up with 4 weeks of rubbish to deal with Also, the fox population seems to have shot up; we live in teh city centre, used to see them once or twice a year, now it's pretty much every evening (and they are quite fat looking!!)
harrythesnotgobbler

Strange how when my collections went to fortnightly (reduced by 50&#37 there has been no reduction in coucil tax

Rayq81

I live in Yeovil Somerset the council allow us to leave our bin out one day early so the tramps empty it for us, saves the council money and also feeds the poor, maybe other councils should adopt this policy

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Painted our house number on all the bins with a stencil, the plastic works a bit like a release agent though.: Silcone in the make up mix? Anyway, the numbers have stayed put for a couple of years now, but one of the rectangular paper and magazine boxes with a lid, still went awol. Downtown markets somewhere on the continent, as flower boxes? Not the original seven methinks? Just a spoof, mates.
AO Silver Member

we have now switched to fortnightly collections and it works very well, they even switched back to weekly over xmas.

only issue is that my road were given an official collective bollocking when the council didnt collect the bins one week and they all got left out, well everyone was expecting them to be collected on a different day. they dont do their job properly and we get a bollocking

i really hope pay as you throw doesnt happen, how are we going to stop neighbours putting their rubbish in my bin??
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post

i really hope pay as you throw doesnt happen, how are we going to stop neighbours putting their rubbish in my bin??
Buy a house in Yeovil mate the neighbours will empty your bin for you In fact they will most likely have your bin, its the only town i have ever lived in where the seagulls are scared to land in case they get killed in the crush for the dropped chip wrappers

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

There was a fight in our street a few weeks ago cos two neighbours were arguing over the ownership of a recycling box !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page