'The Chat Thread': A Bad Idea - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Darren156

'The Chat Thread': A Bad Idea

Hey guys,

This whole 'Let's merge the drivel threads together!' is possibly the worst idea anyone on this forum has ever had.

Who decided it was a good idea?

It isn't 'The Chat Thread', it's just 'Ignore Please Mk2' where a very select and close group of people post.

Whereas before individual groups of friends / members had their own personal 'Drivel Threads' these threads have all been bulked together and pretty much ousted (Not intentionally) the other 'Drivelers'.

So yeah, here's to 'IPT2'

Whenever a long-ish drivel thread is posted from now on will it get merged with this 'The Chat Thread' and therefore pretty much kill it off? And that's what has been happening and I assume will continue to happen.

I hate calling them 'Drivel' threads, because they aren't really, they are basically little chat threads where certain groups of people can talk about whatever they want to talk about.

If I was one such person who created a long thread where I chatted to friends I'd picked up on here, to have it suddenly thrust into 'The Chat Thread' would annoy me. Because it's 'Merging' would basically just be it's demise and death.

There's my 2 Pence, any one else want to add anything?

Cheers,
Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Re: 'The Chat Thread': A Bad Idea

Here's a simple idea. If you want to chat, use the chat room. You've paid for it, you might as well use it.

A large number of us used to use the old chat room. It wasn't hard. It didn't take a social secretary to organize chats. It was open to everybody, so you ended up interacting with a wider group of people than just your own little circle, and making use of that resource meant that a lot less demand was place on the main AO forum pages and database and server.
--Toronto
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Sorry. I guess you haven't paid for it yet. My mistake.
--Toronto
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Moved to Rant Room
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Don't go much in the chat threads anyway so its not really affected me. As long as 'Brand New Lyrics Quiz' stays unmerged I'm happy.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Wave Re: 'The Chat Thread': A Bad Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
Hey guys,
Hey!

Quote:
This whole 'Let's merge the drivel threads together!' is possibly the worst idea anyone on this forum has ever had.
Are you positive?
Allowing you to remain infraction-free for this blatant swipe at the place you love so much must rank up there.

Quote:
Who decided it was a good idea?
The moderators and admin staff, a list of whom can be found lower down this page

Quote:
It isn't 'The Chat Thread', it's just 'Ignore Please Mk2' where a very select and close group of people post.

Whereas before individual groups of friends / members had their own personal 'Drivel Threads' these threads have all been bulked together and pretty much ousted (Not intentionally) the other 'Drivelers'.

Quote:
So yeah, here's to 'IPT2'

Whenever a long-ish drivel thread is posted from now on will it get merged with this 'The Chat Thread' and therefore pretty much kill it off? And that's what has been happening and I assume will continue to happen.
Correct.

Quote:
I hate calling them 'Drivel' threads, because they aren't really, they are basically little chat threads where certain groups of people can talk about whatever they want to talk about.
Hence why they will be merged into the CHAT thread.

Quote:
If I was one such person who created a long thread where I chatted to friends I'd picked up on here, to have it suddenly thrust into 'The Chat Thread' would annoy me. Because it's 'Merging' would basically just be it's demise and death.
Why? There are no restrictions on the amounts posted in TCT. Fill your boots.

Quote:
There's my 2 Pence, any one else want to add anything?
No, I'm good thanks.

Quote:
Cheers,
Darren
Cheers!
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex

The merging of the threads into the chat thread just confuses me, but that happens easily anyways
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Darren, drivel threads are still ok but they are to be in the Even More off topic lounge. You need to be a club member to access them. The so called drivel threads are used by 99.9% club members.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Allowing you to remain infraction-free for this blatant swipe at the place you love so much must rank up there.
Personally I don't think he should get away with it !!

Last edited by nomad; 11-03-08 at 10:23.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby278278 View Post
The merging of the threads into the chat thread just confuses me, but that happens easily anyways
Glad it's not just me that's confused, at a quick glance nothing seems to have changed.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Darren...are you sure that these 'cliques' just don't exist in your mind

Why not get in there and just start chatting... you might be surprised !!

You only need to ask the various 'noobs' that have actually taken the time to join into the IPT/drivel threads about how welcoming the 'exclusive/close group of people' are !!

No doubt my comments will be interpreted as HPBing by some here

Last edited by nomad; 11-03-08 at 10:24. Reason: Typo
Darren156

Quote:
Ah, well that's upto the people who hand out the infractions isn't it?

If a mod feels that my post and thread are offensive and against the rules then fine, infract me up right nice.

I'm merely airing an opinion and wanted to see what everyone else thought. That's all.

Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Darren, drivel threads are still ok but they are to be in the Even More off topic lounge. You need to be a club member to access them. The so called drivel threads are used by 99.9% club members.
Cheers mate, that does actually explain it a bit better to me and make more sense.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156
I'm merely airing an opinion and wanted to see what everyone else thought. That's all.
There are better ways to raise concerns than having a good ol' rant in the Announcement lounge (which I then moved here).

A few PMs would have been a lot better IMO.

We welcome discussion but if you were unclear about things that have happened, before posting about them you could have sought some clarity first.
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Darren...are you sure that these 'cliques' just don't exist in your mind

Why not get in there and just start chatting... you might be surprised !!

No doubt my comments will be interpreted as HPBing by some here
As far as I'm concerned there are, and in all honesty I am fine with that, my problem was that the 'cliques' all had separate drivel threads up until now, and the larger character / longer standing membered cliques that consist within The Chat Thread are pretty much stamping out the others.

In all honesty, I don't quite know why I care, I was never really part of any mass drivel thread, I may have thrown a few posts around here and there in certain ones but never really got too involved. (Not to say I don't start short lived threads that consist of nothign much)

This is just an observation I've made, and it seemed to have annoyed quite a few people unfortunately.

I've heard from quite a few people that this merging has annoyed them, but it appears I'm the only one who's gonna bother saying anything. And then obviously get shot down for it.

I'm not alone in this, it's just no one else is going to make a stand as it were and say what they think.

Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Ah, well that's upto the people who hand out the infractions isn't it?

If a mod feels that my post and thread are offensive and against the rules then fine, infract me up right nice.

Opinions are like a**eholes Darren. Everyone has one but sometimes they are best hidden.
Quote:
Cheers mate, that does actually explain it a bit better to me and make more sense.
If you'd have bothered to read the announcement that BigFoot posted in the Way Off Topic lounge, you will have seen that paying club members are entitled to drivel away to their hearts consent in the Even More Off Topic lounge.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-o...ouncement.html
Quote:
...snipped drivel () about cliques...
The merging of the numerous chat threads into one is to help cut out the formation of these 'cliques' you speak of.

HTH
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Well agreed Darren but just assuming that there's a 'closed shop' anywhere here on AO isn't the way forward here IMO !!

I personally wasn't 'annoyed' by your comments or post and was just merely trying to point out that the idea of cliques the exclude all others is ill conceived !!

I have been annoyed by other things here recently but (as Biggie said) I would have put them in a PM to Ian etc (I know that others have indeed taken this course of action !!)

Then again open/public discussion of subjects - including issues with the forum and it's structure - is what this forum is all about is it not

Come on we've had enough threads with people venting their frustrations about lounges or threads they don't like/want to see so why can't Darren express his opinions about ones he'd like to see/remain open

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Nomes when I lay my vengeance upon you.
AO Bratpacker No1
D I L L I G A F
*Muppet Attack Mode Activated*
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Boxing Re: 'The Chat Thread': A Bad Idea

Quote:
Opinions are like a**eholes Darren. Everyone has one but sometimes they are best hidden.
Nicely put

And it looks to me like you're avoiding the swear sensors there Mr B

Quote:
The merging of the numerous chat threads into one is to help cut out the formation of these 'cliques' you speak of.
But by putting them into a 'paying members only' lounge it might just reinforce the 'clique conspiracy theory' to a whole higher level could it not
Rayq81

I have voted :borg:

Rayq81

sorry thought this was the CUBE, excuse me

Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
There are better ways to raise concerns than having a good ol' rant in the Announcement lounge (which I then moved here).

A few PMs would have been a lot better IMO.

We welcome discussion but if you were unclear about things that have happened, before posting about them you could have sought some clarity first.
Yeah I suppose so mate, I should have stuck it in the rant room first off really. I didn't realize how ranty it was gonna come off.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Darren I can understand why you feel awkward when people agree
with you in private but leave you on your own in public. Might even
seem cowardly.
I don't understand the recent move to discussing things pertaining to
the forum in private rather than openly on the forum. Or the apparant
stamping out of views not agreeing with admin. Or attempted
belittleing of posters expressing alternate opinions. That seems like a
change for the worse and a shame to me
I'm not going to express my views regarding the changes regarding
chat type threads yet. It's early days and we should give it a bit
more time to see how it pans out.
I've tried using the chat room on several occasions and find it quite
difficult to use. Which is a shame because that's probably the best
answer to this.
But the people here are the same as before the changes so we ought
to be able to make a go of it. We haven't changed have we??? But
that in itself may cause some people a problem I don't doubt that
some may have hoped that the changes would have made some of
us go away

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I don't doubt that some may have hoped that the changes would have made some of us go away
What He Said !!

BTW To those who may have hoped that... FAT Chance !!

Oh and I've tried to use the Chat Room in the past and found it to be pants !!
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
I'm not alone in this, it's just no one else is going to make a stand as it were and say what they think.
So here's mine.

I think leaving a few threads like IPT/BORED/Pop-Tart thread would've have been okay. My problem was with the same people in these threads chatting in other concurrent threads about the same stuff, which meant, what with the list type threads which I posted a thread about, they "choked" WOT. Three or four I could live with. They now sit in EMOT. No chance of noobs to pop in and perhaps get a footing. They did you know and I think some joined the club because they got a feel of the community. Of course, it's not everyones cup of tea. If all of the "chatty bunch" chatted in the new Chat Thread, it would be unreadable because there are too many people. I do wonder also, what has happened to the "Ignore Thread" feature that was being looked at, possibly introduced? That on the said 3 or 4 chatty threads could have been easily used by those who find that level even irritating.

That all aside for the mo...

As a club, shouldn't the club members have been properly consulted, opinions solicited for the best way forward? Perhaps a poll on several available options? That sounds fair to me. It would have been more public and then no-one could really go against the majority decision unless they do really think they know best! I don't think I understand what this "club" thing is... if we aren't involved in some important decisions like this but perhaps that's another discussion entirely. [Not dictating how a club should run, simply don't know because I'm not part of any other and have no experience]

So now as an individual who posts in WOT, starts thread, has a chat & banter etc... what are the rules for a thread becoming too chatty and needing to be merged into the Chat Thread? Face it, merge anything into Chat, it's no different to putting it into the recycle bin and any link left, points to the first post in that thread, as I said here:-

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/annou...ad-in-wot.html

Might as well be deleted for all intense purposes.

So I start a thread with a subject and being WOT, some take it a little off topic and start chatting, having banter - at what point do I, if I so wish to save the impending doom of my thread, go in and say "Please people, back on topic or this thread is going to get merged [well deleted really]" Is it after 4 or 5 posts or two or three days of continuous off-topic talk/banter?

I seriously don't think this has been thought through properly. I need clarification on at least the last part where a thread is deemed a candidate for merger.

Anyone else feel a bit uneasy about what to say or do in WOT threads now because of?

MHO.

May also ask ... when "pagers" became too chatty, will they be merged too? Just in case, you know how it is

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't
trust coincidences." - Garak, DS9
So true
The BORED Collective
WE are SpartaBORED! I was DarthBORED! I am FearBORED! :elaugh: I was PredatorBORED! I was PhantomBORED!...of the AO-Theatre I have been iBORED! TerminatorBORED! He'll be back!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Nice post K

And I agree totally BTW

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page