Euan McGregor - ****** - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 07-03-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Euan McGregor - ******

To do such amazing mind stretching things as his continent spanning bike rides for charity.
To claim that having seen what he now has 'Hollywood and the film industry just seem so empty'.
And then to turn round and compare the things he's done there to a freaking perfume
I couldn't be more disgusted. I hope he's giving the money to charity or something, because to me he's utterly lessening the things he's done, and the reasons he's done them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mudhut

Re: Euan McGregor - ******

Linky to story bazza? I've missed this.

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

After shave advert featuring said Mr Mcgregor.

C'mon Bazza - we all need to earn a living.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire

yep,thats exactly what i thought when i saw it,suprised charly boorman didnt worm his way in somewhere
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
To do such amazing mind stretching things as his continent spanning bike rides for charity.
To claim that having seen what he now has 'Hollywood and the film industry just seem so empty'.
And then to turn round and compare the things he's done there to a freaking perfume
I couldn't be more disgusted. I hope he's giving the money to charity or something, because to me he's utterly lessening the things he's done, and the reasons he's done them.
i need to be careful here Bazza, as I've not seen the program...yet something along the lines of what you posted crossed my mind when i heard of this 'tough challenge' across the globe. Erm, tough challenge? When you're minted? And supported by the resources of a film company? And gaining extra air-time for you as a celeb? Rolled into a profit making TV series, too boot.

How about he says 'i'm going to send all the profits of my next film to build a water supply for an African village'. That would impress me.

It's like when students say 'will you sponsor me to do travel the world's poor spots?' Erm, what, so you can feel slightly sorry for the world's dying and deprived while having the holiday of a fuc5ing life time?

I need to start dishing out some smacks, I think.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AlfaLincs

Yes we all need to earn a living. However, I've never quite understood film stars/rockstars/TV Presenters need to earn several livings and then get self righteous about it.
(see Bono amongst others)

I'm jealous of course..very...very...jealous.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

County: -Antrim

Member car:

166 2.5 V6 Lusso

Quite like the guy, entertaining, charasmatic etc. Doesn't bother me if he makes a crappy Perfume ad.... sure he likes to spoil his family like the rest of us. Who of us wouldn't do an ad like that for a few bucks?
Nev

At times like this, I find Mr Bill Hicks
had some great (still relevant) musings
on most subject...

Warning very bad language and
violent imagery in this audio link:

YouTube - Bill Hicks-Artistic Roll Call-Rant in E Minor

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Both Ewan and Charlie Boorman do a lot of work for UNICEF and, unfortunately, that didn't come across in Long Way Down.

The problem with these guys and others of their ilk is they NEED to be high profile to make a difference - they are attention grabbers for the charitable body; that's their purpose. Unfortunately they are seen as attention grabbers for themselves (which they are, it's the nature of their business) - damned if they do and damned if they don't

Ewan McGregor has raised a serious amount of money for kids with HIV in Africa, Unicef and a childrens hospital in Scotland. He brought a bevvy of stars in for a charity night recently and raised over $600 thousand in one night for Unicef to provide clean drinking water, medicines for sick kids etc and has been commited to Ride for life for several years. He is a famous face and earns his money legally ...now he could as easily sit on his arse and blow his cash on a hollywood lifestyle or just write cheques out for these poor people but he did what he did ..whether you like you bloke or not he's committed to helping others out and sharing the wealth and i respect that because he hasnt just done a once a year charity event, he has consistently worked for others ...easy to knock....
(Post Link) post #11 of 36 Old 07-03-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

You're all right. I was impressed by some of the stuff he's done, and especially at how I've heard him speak about it.
But then to hear him talking about the 'spirit of adventure' - and then find out 'adventure' is toliet water (in more ways than one)..
I thought it lessens everything he's done. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe I'm biased because my wife used to have a crush on him
AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
Left a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe thats the problem Bazza - I think your supposed to spash the stuff on you Not drink it.....

As for Euan....he's done a dam sight more for charity than I have so I'll keep my knocks to my self....
(Post Link) post #13 of 36 Old 08-03-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Will you all stop being so freaking reasonable? This is the rant room!
AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
Will you all stop being so freaking reasonable? This is the rant room!
Sorry - fair point......*cough* BISTARDS he should be hung from the highest lampost until he reconsiders...and while we're at it don't get me started on that other lot........

AO Member

Met ewan & charlie when they did their dry run for the 'Long way round', they stayed at the hotel and when ewan went to pay his card got declined, charlie had to bail him out. Mind you, some of the chefs had just watched Deliverence and all we could hear in the background was 'Squeeeeeel little piggy!' All ewan wanted to do was keep a low profile and there was charlie walking about in a bright red Star Wars t-shirt.

Thought I'd share that one with you.

Last edited by alimac1973; 08-03-08 at 10:12.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

i'm inclined to agree with bazza here, unless of course he's donated his fee to unicef. i loved long way down (and long way round as well, read the books too) and held ewan mcgregor in very high regard having heard about the amount of charity stuff he does and his real belief in the causes he supports. mrs al is head over heels in love with him, or rather WAS until she saw the advert - we both reckon it's cheapened his whole appeal.

that is of course a very shallow point of view as it doesn't mean he's done any less charity work, but i never thought of him as the kind of bloke who'd prostitute his beliefs & his passions for a fast (and unnecessary) extra buck!

but maybe i should just keep my trap shut until i've done as much for africa as he has

- Keepin' it moist -
Darren156

Alimac1973, 5 words for you: Smell my cheese you mother!!!

Back on topic though, I've always like Ewan McGreggor and been a bit of a fan since he was in Trainspotting and all that.

He does alot of work for charity and for that I take my hat off to him.
He's earned for charity more money than I will ever even earn, so fair play to the bloke I say.

So he did a crappy perfume ad? So what, just go out and buy it,

Last edited by Darren156; 08-03-08 at 14:55. Reason: Typo

AO Member

Monkey tennis?

Quote:
You're all right. I was impressed by some of the stuff he's done, and especially at how I've heard him speak about it.
But then to hear him talking about the 'spirit of adventure' - and then find out 'adventure' is toliet water (in more ways than one)..
I thought it lessens everything he's done. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe I'm biased because my wife used to have a crush on him
i did actually inwardly whince when i saw the advert ..but i have a sneaking suspicion some of that money will wing its way towards a lorry load of medicines somewhere ...as for the missus having a crush on him...i work with a bloke who has a crush on him ! lol
(Post Link) post #20 of 36 Old 08-03-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Just to be clear - he can do as many adverts as he likes. It was the way the advert cheapens his previous work which annoys.

It'd be like Mother Teresa releasing a perfume called 'caring', and spouting a load of blurb before hand which appeared to suggest that wearing this perfume is just as impressive as her work.
Darren156

Just saw the advert on Living and I actually quite like it,

Sawyer off LOST did an advert for Davidoff Blue Water, it didn't make me dislike him either.

(Post Link) post #22 of 36 Old 06-04-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I haven't seen this advert at all since. Do you think they've realised that it sends out a horrible message?
EddieGTA

Quote:
I haven't seen this advert at all since. Do you think they've realised that it sends out a horrible message?
It probably smelt like an oily bike that has been driven through the desert, and has been pulled

I have no problem with celebs doing stuff like this, what grates on me is people like Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse and Lilly Allen that think because they are in the limelight they can do what the hell they like. Some role models for todays kids this lot are

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
It probably smelt like an oily bike that has been driven through the desert, and has been pulled

I have no problem with celebs doing stuff like this, what grates on me is people like Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse and Lilly Allen that think because they are in the limelight they can do what the hell they like. Some role models for todays kids this lot are
I agree, Eddie.

What struck me was here was a bloke who puts his money where his mouth is and uses his celebrity and wealth to good purpose.

If you want a target you'll find far richer sources near the homes of the Hilton, Lohan and Osborne clans...

I do agree it's a naff ruddy advert, but for anyone who's seen 'lost in translation' you want to see the stuff they do for overseas which the masses here will never see......i'm pretty sure Bigfoot could confire Japan has loads of adverts with the famous western movie stars in them, also last time i was in Barcelona there was advertising campaign with George Clooney doing poses with Whiskey glass (made me think exactly of lost in translation). Anyway i beleive this ad was mainly meant for europe as was the Sawyer from lost one but then they stuck it on here for a bit, does anyone wear Davidoff in UK?? Did you know Davidoff is David Hasselhoffs brand! seriously, google it.........

oh yeah and if i were famous i'd limit alot of what i advertised to keep my brand 'cool'......

but Ewan chuffed that up when he was in the last two Star wars films....rubbish!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page