MLMs (or is it OLMs?) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

MLMs (or is it OLMs?)

Is it me, or is the virus of Middle Lane Morons becoming an epidemic? Seems to me that just about every journey I make these days where there is more than one lane, someone will be in the middle or outside lane when they shouldn't be, holding everyone up

This evening, travelling along the M4, I was in lane 1, and I was closing on a car in lane 2. When I got to about 100 yards behind him and put my indicator on, he also put his right indicator on and moved into lane 3! I cancelled my indicator and carefull passed him in lane 1. When I was well clear, he indicated and pulled back into lane 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: MLMs (or is it OLMs?)

Middle lane hoggers is one of my pet hates I really don't understand why they won't use the inside lane when its empty. What do they think it is for
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

It is getting worse these days - just remember tht you can pass youre test today and drive on a motorway 30 mins later with no clue what so ever of how to deal with the speed and volume of traffic.

AO Member

Member car:

alfa 155

it's simple left lane normal driving right lane overtaking how hard can that be? very hard seems to be the answer
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

The perception seems to be - inside lane 50 mph, middle 60 mph and outside 70 mph - that was why he moved into the outside lane.

I bet he was saying to his passenger as you got in front - "look at that idiot breaking the speed limit - and in the wrong lane too".

There is, unfortunately, no hope for some people.

Paul
HSTDriver

I think the main reason for it is that so many of our motorways have terrible lane 1 conditions with tramlining, due to poor maintenance.

Is it a valid reason for these numpties doing it? Nope, but they do it all the same.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I think the main reason for it is that so many of our motorways have terrible lane 1 conditions with tramlining, due to poor maintenance.

Is it a valid reason for these numpties doing it? Nope, but they do it all the same.
Also when they get stuck in lane 1 and come upto slower traffic they are unable to get into lane 2 as slightly faster traffic is blocking that lane.

(Post Link) post #8 of 57 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Also when they get stuck in lane 1 and come upto slower traffic they are unable to get into lane 2 as slightly faster traffic is blocking that lane.
I can understand that (although that is why we were born with anticipation...) but increasingly this seems to be occurring when there is absolutely nothing in lane 1 for miles
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

the worst is when these idiots join an empty motorway from a sliproad and move STRAIGHT INTO lane 2

a thinning of the herd is required
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
the worst is when these idiots join an empty motorway from a sliproad and move STRAIGHT INTO lane 2

a thinning of the herd is required
All it does then is turn a 3 lane motorway into a dual carriageway
Nev

Sadly starting to occur here too.
Although 99/100 will move over
when you come up behind them in
the outside lane. (oooh err! )

emgee

I think it's partly a confidence thing, partly an impatience thing and partly a laziness thing. If you pull over into lane 1 you'll have to come out again soon enough to pass a slow lorry. I honestly believe some people are scared of changing lanes on motorways. Also, if you pull over, it's likely you may have to wait your turn to get out again. That implies waiting your turn, and a modicum of effort and concentration. So much easier just to sit in the middle and guard your space.

You see the same thing on dual carriageways around here. Many will go around and between 3 or 4 roundabouts in the offside lane all the way, just because they are going to turn right at the 5th, several miles away.

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
Is it me, or is the virus of Middle Lane Morons becoming an epidemic? Seems to me that just about every journey I make these days where there is more than one lane, someone will be in the middle or outside lane when they shouldn't be, holding everyone up
I don't think the MLM syndrome has got any worse, it just seems to be creeping into the outside lane now.

Dual carriageways are the worst, because the whole thing is blocked up by MLMs.

I have to say, I've found myself doing a hell of a lot more undertaking than I used to.
EddieGTA

Best I saw was after midnight, all 3 lanes clear on the A2 in Kent, and I came up behind someone doing 50 in the middle lane. They thought nothing of my attempts to show their stupidity by indicating right the way out from lane 1 to lane 3, and then indicating all the way back to lane 1.

And to make matters worse they were driving with their main beam on. There should be another part of the driving practical test for motorways/dual carriageways if you ask me.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I think it's partly a confidence thing
A very good point although I would take it a stage further.

I think it is LARGELY a confidence thing.

How many times have you driven along a motorway, overtaken someone, glanced across (as you do) and seen someone clutching the wheel in what seems to be a state of abject terror. Well - everyday in my experience.

You can see people who hate being there, driving is a necessity and they will do it but they are not confident. I have this vision of them - they managed to join (probably after slowing to 30 mph on the sliproad)- and the safest place to be is in the middle lane because people leave you alone - they go past on your left and on your right - "but now I've got to start thinking about how I turn off".

Be grateful that you (we) are not them - I just LOVE driving - still after all these years.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
AHow many times have you driven along a motorway, overtaken someone, glanced across (as you do) and seen someone clutching the wheel in what seems to be a state of abject terror.
If you pass me on the motorway, and I'm clutching the wheel with white knuckles below a wide-eyed grimace, it's only partly fear of driving. Most of it will be due to a high-fibre diet and the daunting distance to the next services.

AO Member

County: Fife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
A very good point although I would take it a stage further.

I think it is LARGELY a confidence thing.
If its a confidence thing, get off the damn motorway. If someone wants to drive along at 50/60/70 in a ton+ chunk of plastic and metal but lack the confidence to do it properly, then they should not be there.

I don't especially care if its a necessity or not. If you're not confident about doing something, and especially something dangerous, don't bloody do it.

I am not confident in in flying aeroplanes, ski-jumping or wrestling alligators and therefore I do none of these things. If you're not confident driving a car and this affects your ability to do so properly, then don't.

As someone has said already, a trimming of the herd is required.

Last edited by OperationAlfa; 11-03-08 at 14:15. Reason: fixed quotation
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
I don't think the MLM syndrome has got any worse, it just seems to be creeping into the outside lane now.

I have to say, I've found myself doing a hell of a lot more undertaking than I used to.
What He Said !!

what would be the chance of alfa building a large harpoon type device into the frontal area behind the grille so that in these cases a quick flick of the 'spear' button will generate a whoosh of compressed air a slight jolt and the numpty is thwacked from behind , as he turns around to find out why his car has been speared you can nip round the outside and floor it .....

Fine comments, but do you know what really ****'s me off? Well its [email protected] who when i'm in 'fast' lane and doing between 70 80 odd miles an hour, they blat up behind you right on your tail with lights flashing you to move........................................do i just move over......................do i b0ll0x, no way, i watch them getting red faced sweating with rage as i just keep to national speed limit, as soon as they try to undrtake..................well i then decide to move into lane two. People who undertake are a danger to themselves and mainly others, its pathetic and illegal.
There is a speed limit on the motorway you know, so everyone saying these people hold you up, well they may just be saving yours or someone else's life..............

and before anyone jumps down my neck.....were this post about someone who killed a loved one by speeding on motorway most people who brag about speeding on motorway would be saying how terrible speeders are. Think about it.

Last edited by GranTurismo; 10-03-08 at 16:26. Reason: typo
(Post Link) post #21 of 57 Old 10-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

So are you doing 70mph or is it 80mph?
You deliberately wind people up, and then when they move to undertake, you change lanes to block them? Who's the danger to themselves and others?
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
Fine comments, but do you know what really ****'s me off? Well its [email protected] who when i'm in 'fast' lane and doing between 70 80 odd miles an hour, they blat up behind you right on your tail with lights flashing you to move........................................do i just move over......................do i b0ll0x, no way, i watch them getting red faced sweating with rage as i just keep to national speed limit, as soon as they try to undrtake..................well i then decide to move into lane two. People who undertake are a danger to themselves and mainly others, its pathetic and illegal.
There is a speed limit on the motorway you know, so everyone saying these people hold you up, well they may just be saving yours or someone else's life..............

and before anyone jumps down my neck.....were this post about someone who killed a loved one by speeding on motorway most people who brag about speeding on motorway would be saying how terrible speeders are. Think about it.
you're having us on, right? or do you really see yourself as the nation's conscience?
'people who undertake are a danger to themselves and mainly others'
and people who deliberately hold up other drivers by not following the highway code (keep to the left except when overtaking-when last i read it) are making our motorways SOOOOOOOOO much safer.
I look forward to meeting you out there in lane 3.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
So are you doing 70mph or is it 80mph?
You deliberately wind people up, and then when they move to undertake, you change lanes to block them? Who's the danger to themselves and others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by realslimshady View Post
you're having us on, right? or do you really see yourself as the nation's conscience?
'people who undertake are a danger to themselves and mainly others'
and people who deliberately hold up other drivers by not following the highway code (keep to the left except when overtaking-when last i read it) are making our motorways SOOOOOOOOO much safer.
I look forward to meeting you out there in lane 3.
What They Said !!

@ GT
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post

We have a swear sensor in place for a reason, so please don't load up your posts with swearwords avoiding the sensor by placing numbers instead of letters/etc.

Thanks.

Any difference of opinion is never welcome is it. If i'm going 75 in the 'fast' lane then i'm adhering to the speed limit, if you tank up behind me lights flashing and tail gating i'm going nowhere, if on other hand you are polite about it i'll just move over, the point i was making was that the rude idiots who practically drive over you becasue i've slowed them down from 110 to 75 miles an hour flashing there lights at me, if i'm walking through town and some noob behind me shouts at me to walk quicker or move over i'd slap the pr*ck. generally its t**t's in X5's or other chelsea chariot's or big BMW'S and Merc's............................... it shouldn't be know as the fast lane anyway, people belive its there for them to go as fast as they can and all other drivers are inferior, total w*nkers peopel who feel that, you still have to go 75 miles an hour and guess what there would be less deaths on the motorway if we stuck to that, sorry, same as people winge about speed camera's, well for at start if you get a ticket from one these days your thick, they are bright yellow with little lines on the road!!! basics. Speed is dangerous which is why i love track days, people who want to w*nk off while they drive 110 in a stupid box of metal on the motorway are stupid the sooner people accept that the better, go to a track and see hoew bad a drive ryou really are.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page