Assaulted at work - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

14Likes
  • 1 Post By stan laurel
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 2 Post By PaulR
  • 1 Post By chrishendrix
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By stan laurel
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 2 Post By keithyboy
  • 1 Post By joeymannero
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 1 Post By ARnovice
  • 1 Post By ronan

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 22-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Assaulted at work

So far, I've managed to avoid any direct physical assault.

Some people have been verbally abusive, but that's just par for the course, and even though it shouldn't be tolerated, we put up with it on a daily/nightly basis.

However, tonight showed me just how low, as a country, we have stooped. And I'm really quite ****ing angry. I'm afraid this will have a political bent.

Not just because a person managed to kick me in the balls, whilst assisting 2 officers to restrain him, after he's run out into the road, and then hurt my back while I assisted them lifting him into to back of the police van because he was still resisting and shifting his body weight. Not because I traveled in the back of a police van with the patient and then had to stop for back-up because he was kicking off again in the cage. Not because I've had to finish my shift 3 hours early and will have go through a disciplinary process for having time off, either.

What has really ****es me off, is that our patient was known to every local mental health service going, yet in the past week, his behaviour had become more erratic/irrational and violent. And they've done nothing about it, despite several admissions to hospital this week.

The police officers were excellent, really, really excellent; they did their utmost to try to get Social Services to come and evaluate the patient, but because of under-funding, no-one would oblige. This meant that instead of going to an appropriate Mental Health Unit, our only powers available meant that we had to go to A/E. (section 5 instead of a 136 for anyone interested)

While we were waiting in the corridor, the charge nurse had a go at the police because they had brought a violent patient into their department, but were unable to stay with him because they were on skeleton staff and already nearly 2 hours over their finish time.

The hospital had only one person capable of evaluating the patient and only 1 security guard.

The official local population is approx 115k, but we have a huge student population, and the local suburbs also add to that, so you are looking at a population of nearer 200k+, and for that population, I was told that, tonight (last night) there were 6 police officers on duty. There were 3 ambulances. 1 Mental Health Assessor/Psychyiatrist? NO on-call social services.

These last few shifts, I can honestly say that 50-60% have been Mental Health related.

Austerity (and the future Tory plans) means that police and ambulance staff are risking injury, or worse, on a regular basis.

Apologies for the garbled rant, but I just can't comprehend how things have gotten to this point.
steveisfrowning likes this.

Last edited by stan laurel; 22-05-17 at 06:45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Nightmare.

Nasty, dangerous situation. Glad you weren't more seriously injured.

I guess you now have to log/document everything after a situation like that?

Strong & stable leadership is what will fix all this.
Apparently.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 22-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Nightmare.

Nasty, dangerous situation. Glad you weren't more seriously injured.

I guess you now have to log/document everything after a situation like that?

Strong & stable leadership is what will fix all this.
Apparently.
Cheers Nev.

Yup, I spent an hour on base logging everything.

Luckily, I'm not at work until Wednesday, so hopefully my back will be ok by then.

I'll be strong and stable...until next time.

Even the coppers were bemused when they were each asked to respond solo and refused because of the previous history. They have training on how to deal with violent customers, they have stab vests and cs gas, etc.
We have nothing, other than a once yearly class on a multitude of stuff, which has a brief mention on evasive manoeuvres, and a big bag full of medical stuff to throw at the patient, if it gets that bad.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
A disciplinary process on top of all of that? That is appalling.
duemila and stan laurel like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Really feel for you Stan, and all people like you dealing with the harsh reality on the ground of what happens in an under-funded system.
Cutting back public services is a false economy as the problems resulting from 'austerity' will be more costly to resolve in the long term.

Hope the back recovers well.

All the best.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Sorry to hear about this Stan, get well soon.

In my experiences it doesn't matter what colour tie the government is wearing, red or blue, mental health has always been an issue that police have had to deal with under section 136, and then try and involve a mental health team when the person is at the police station, a place of safety.

People, *****s, argue it's not a place of safety because there are big burly aggressive police men there who's only aim in life is to hit people.

When you've talked them off a roof or dragged them off a railway line I think a police cell is a fairly safer place.

But going back to the "on call" mental health teams, in my experience they've always been sheite. Their version of being on call is having someone on the end of a phone to log the call and pass the message on to a nine-till-fiver who may respond to the police request without several followup calls.

Rant over.

Par for the course Stan. Don't let it affect your mental health.
stan laurel likes this.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 22-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
A disciplinary process on top of all of that? That is appalling.
It's standard - I attended a paediatric cardiac arrest on boxing day and took the following day off due to lack of sleep. They tried to give me a 6 month monitoring period until my union rep stepped in. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Really feel for you Stan, and all people like you dealing with the harsh reality on the ground of what happens in an under-funded system.
Cutting back public services is a false economy as the problems resulting from 'austerity' will be more costly to resolve in the long term.

Hope the back recovers well.

All the best.
Completely agree! ( and my back will be fine, it's just a strain, hopefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Sorry to hear about this Stan, get well soon.

In my experiences it doesn't matter what colour tie the government is wearing, red or blue, mental health has always been an issue that police have had to deal with under section 136, and then try and involve a mental health team when the person is at the police station, a place of safety.

People, *****s, argue it's not a place of safety because there are big burly aggressive police men there who's only aim in life is to hit people.

When you've talked them off a roof or dragged them off a railway line I think a police cell is a fairly safer place.

But going back to the "on call" mental health teams, in my experience they've always been sheite. Their version of being on call is having someone on the end of a phone to log the call and pass the message on to a nine-till-fiver who may respond to the police request without several followup calls.

Rant over.

Par for the course Stan. Don't let it affect your mental health.
To be honest V, over the past 7 years, I've seen nothing but deterioration in Mental Health care. I admit to being an ingnoramus about it's structure any time before then (although I did see the closure of big mental health units in the late 80's, when I worked in accounts for the local health authority).

I have nothing but admiration for today's coppers; I've worked closely with them many times recently, and they have always tried their best to be considerate and sympathetic towards any [genuine] mental health patient. Their powers of persuasion have worked time after time, when our's haven't!

It's a shame that they [the police] are being let down as much as we are in terms of reduced resources, aligned with higher expectation.

Your last line, V, is poignant. I love my job and I enjoy it immensely. I'll be ok as long as I keep meeting the lovely, older folk, who are usually too stubborn to call us when they really need to do so!

And having a rant room...that helps too
Toronto Spider likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Simple solution....more FRONTLINE staff.....and less of the pen pushing management that do imaginary jobs...but for some bizarre reason,Governments don't want to know.

I feel for you Stan...it's a disgrace.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Nobody should be put on a position where they get injured at work because there aren't enough people to deal with situations safely. I salute you for doing what you do in such impossible circumstances. We all owe our emergency services a huge debt. People need to understand that these things are happening and think about it when they vote.
chrishendrix and stan laurel like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I hope you are OK stan, and have to say I have a great deal of admiration for you and your colleagues who are to often underpaid,underfunded and underappreciated.

get well soon bud...
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Most of us simply couldn't put up with doing a job in those conditions, so we are very lucky indeed to have guys like you making the self sacrifice, Stan.

We need a campaign to make the politicians take notice: "Take more tax, fund our health services."
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 28-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Thanks for the support chaps.

I was back at work without having to take any time off. My back is fine, thankfully.

But in the light of Monday's events, my whinge seems trivial.

Despite reading about it, as it happened and wishing I could somehow help, I'm glad I wasn't there.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

stan, I am sorry to hear that and guess this one might be... handy

you can thank me later
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/adult-gr...d_8309875.html
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
stan, I am sorry to hear that and guess this one might be... handy

you can thank me later
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/adult-gr...d_8309875.html

Last edited by stan laurel; 01-06-17 at 09:58.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post

Perfect for protecting your tiny penis
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 18-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
WTF is going on over there with these so-called acid attacks.

Jesus ****ing H.

AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
One of the managers at work had to eventually let someone go after weeks of trying to get them in for a review. Knowing something was in the pipeline they kept ringing up sick or making other excuses as not to attend the review, last contact was that they would attend but would also be accompanied by a union representative as a witness? (Even though we don't recognise any union).
This never happened and eventually they handed in their resignation, however during this process the managers car was damaged & a window smashed, threatening and abusive emails were received which also threatened his wife and young family.
This is a sad affair that just goes to show how things have changed, thankfully the police took it seriously enough to go and have a chat and have a word in his ear, but it is still worrying for the manager concerned that was only doing his job on behalf of the company.
What is the world coming to???

Alrite-kid

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page