Plastic Bags. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 01-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Plastic Bags.

Big Brother strikes again ! This week the Government seem determined to stop the use of the throwaway carrier bag. Latest stats I read state that plastic bags make up only 0.01% of landfill, hardly earth changing when you look at what else is happening around the world.

All the bags I get are used by me again as pedal bin liners so it's not a case of use once and throwaway, I'm sure lots of you do the same. Surely even for the Green Warriors this must seem like a pretty good idea.

Standing by for incoming......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Plastic Bags.

im not a greeny at all, i hate ecomentalists, and global warming, whilst a real thing is con for companies to make lots of money, but using a plastic bag as a bin liner is not recycling taking them to the shops the next time you go shopping so you dont need to use new ones is recycling.

plasic bags are a menace and are bloody everywhere, if plastic bags are used as bin liners then id suggest they make up for more than 0.01% of the rubbish in landfills.

also its not just the disposal that is the problem its the energy and materials used to make them that is the bigger problem.

paper bags arent the solution either, they may be bio degradable but that just means they spew all their CO2 into the environment in one go rather than over a long period of time like plastic bags.

god i sound like the ecomentalists i hateim really not, i dont even recycle(the missus does that) i pay the council to take my rubbish away, what they do with it is up to them but ill be buggered if im washing my cans and bottles and putting them in various different boxes
Nev

Recycling plastic is borrocks.
we should be cutting back
on it and using other materials.

Plastic bags have been charged
for since last year.
All that means is I've got a cupboard
stuffed with durable, non-degradable
plastic bags and my shopping costs
0.40 Euros more than it used to

We don't have to sort recycled stuff.
The local council employs people to
do that.

i fill mine with my dogs s**t
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

We just got a Carbon tax, more money at the pump, more money to heat our homes, more money to do anything.
Our plastic bag consumption has not be legislated yet but we are encouraged to buy the Green bags (some of these are very nice but cost us $1) that can be used over and over again.
At school the new garbage bags are green and are biodegradable so they will eventually break down in the landfill.
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 01-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
i pay the council to take my rubbish away, what they do with it is up to them but ill be buggered if im washing my cans and bottles and putting them in various different boxes
With you a 100% on this bit. Paper bags are not the answer either. Whilst living in Seattle all my shopping came in brown paper bags, the number that broke on the way up the stairs to my apartment really hacked me off.

As an aside, really loved the idea that you can only get Spirits at a special shop and was always, always supplied in a brown paper bag so as not to to morally affect the under 21's. Handy for drinking whilst at the wheel though, what you cant see cant hurt you....
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Paper bags aren't all that bio-degradable anyway, only when exposed to water and air......buried in a landfill, they could be there for decades.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Although my appearance belies it (I look like a hairy green supporter) I think it is all nonsense.

The world has been volcanic and frozen. Life as we know it has been supported and then again not. We think in puny timescales and "saving the planet" is meaningless - like thinking that your style of decoration in the front room is the way front rooms should appear down the generations. Yes it (the world) can look like it does now temporarily but it will change with or without our input. We ARE nature and what we do (plastic bags, nuclear waste et al) is all part of the natural cycle. Sentience - what a waste of headspace.

I took 8 plastic bags today when we did our weekly shop - and I'll pay 0.40p when they start charging.

Paul.
p.s. That said I have bought the Tesco £1.00 hessian jobbies - bloody good bags - just keep fogetting to put them back in the car before going shopping again.

p.p.s. I just wanted a good RANT

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Member

Member car:

alfa75V6 200hp

i pay the council to take my rubbish away, what they do with it is up to them but ill be buggered if im washing my cans and bottles and putting them in various different boxes

I do the same to a point she tells me to wash them up then seperate them then i put them all in one bin
AlfaLincs

We need to use less plastics..full stop.

Anyone who watched the programme about the Hawaian Islands where the Pacific currents take a disproportionate amount of plastic waste would be appalled and ashamed of the damage done to nature by..well everything from old toothbrushes, disposable cig lighters, bleach bottles..you name it, hundreds of tons of the stuff fetches up on their beaches, killing seabirds (who mistake the bright colours for food), and anything that eats the seabirds.

Plastic bags are killing fish and turtles (who mistake them for jellyfish and then choke). Even ground up micro particles of plastic are being absorbed by filter feeder shellfish..which means they contain less nutrition by weight for those wildlife that feed on them, and they have no idea if contamination at that micro level is having any genetic effect on the shellfish, but they suspect it may be. This has a knock on effect right up the food chain.

10% of the worlds water is irretrievably contaminated. That is a massive proportion, and we have used the seas as a dustbin for far too long. When I started sailing it was standard practice to bag up and dump ALL rubbish overboard "The sea will break it down" was the assurance we were given. What complacent crap that proved to be. Nowadays we bring it all home with use and try and dispose of it more responsibly, but it still makes me wonder how much of it STILL ends up in the sea.

I'm in favour of paper bags. They can at least be composted. I just think we have all got too lazy and we have to re-learn how to live within the means of the planet. What a mess we are leaving for our kids.

I suppose when the oil does run out it will have to stop anyway. It should only take a few thousand years for the earth to re-adjust again.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaligeri View Post

:
You buy them, you use them. It takes two seconds to rinse out a plastic bottle or can. If you don't do it it'll add to your council tax and then you'll have even more to complain about. Jeez, the UK is a lazy country.
AO Silver Member

Our council insists that we put our recycling into plastic bags; one for glass stuff, one for cardboard, one for tins.... What do they do with the plastic bags afterwards?
AO Member

Member car:

SOON 2B A GT 3.2

I put dog muck in mine as well
A quick story........ I once picked a load of dog muck (I had 2 dogs)
some young yob ran past and snatched the bag. I wonder if he had a nail brush at home !!!!!
AO Member

Member car:

alfa75V6 200hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
You buy them, you use them. It takes two seconds to rinse out a plastic bottle or can. If you don't do it it'll add to your council tax and then you'll have even more to complain about. Jeez, the UK is a lazy country.
that wasn't my quote guvner onist,I stated that mrs makes me wash em then sort em then i put them all in one bustbin
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

I am not an enviromentalist, I strongly believe Man made global warming is a govournment generated cash cow. However i believe respecting the enviroment, We recycle as much of our household waste as possible (having 6 dogs and 4 cats generates a lot of tincans and milk bottles, all recycled). I think carrier bags are pure evil. I recycle where possible (all our bags are saved and we use them when we go to lidl/aldi). They are ruining the countryside as they are just lying all over the place.

I fully support any enforced charge on carrier bags as long as the money generated is used to help the enviroment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRYDINKS View Post
I put dog muck in mine as well
A quick story........ I once picked a load of dog muck (I had 2 dogs)
some young yob ran past and snatched the bag. I wonder if he had a nail brush at home !!!!!
Biggest laugh i have had since the "who's line is it anyway" marathon on Five US earlier today. Nice one, lol.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
using a plastic bag as a bin liner is not recycling
Of course it is. It may only be recycling once, but it's preferable to just throwing it in the bin and buying another 'special' plastic bag as a bin liner.
Nev

Have they introduced the eco-participation
tax on electrical gadgets in the UK yet?

L'éco-participation : combien payons-nous ?

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

i have no idea what this is or says, could you explain a little please..
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGTV View Post
i have no idea what this is or says, could you explain a little please..
You have to pay X Euros extra for
electrical and electronic devices
to pay for their future disposal.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I thought most modern plastic bags were biodegradeable anyway? I read on one the other day that in 3 years in the natural environment it would be broken down. I know years ago when bags were made of thicker polythene they didn't break down naturally, although they also didn't rip whan you put your shopping in them.

Its just another excuse to raise more money, the fact that it has happen when the government is looking to raise revuene to pay for its own incompetance only illustrates this.

I also don't think it will make any difference to the environment, as reuseable bags take a lot more energy and resources to make, and will have to be re-used several times to be of any benefit.
(Post Link) post #21 of 23 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post

Its just another excuse to raise more money, the fact that it has happen when the government is looking to raise revuene to pay for its own incompetance only illustrates this.

I also don't think it will make any difference to the environment, as reuseable bags take a lot more energy and resources to make, and will have to be re-used several times to be of any benefit.
I believe this too, good 'ole Gordon. Are we all looking forward to be done over yet again later this month when his Darling rears up on 't hind legs to demonstrate how green he is and impose yet more money grabbing useless taxes to line someone's pockets and appease the rabid environment lobby. If I thought that any of this would really help the environment I would support it but call me an old cynic if you wish.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

We have local elections coming up soon, it will give people a chance to show how much the appreciate this government.
(Post Link) post #23 of 23 Old 02-03-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
We have local elections coming up soon, it will give people a chance to show how much the appreciate this government.
Wish I could think that these could make a difference but I think that apathy will be the winner here. People moan a lot but seem unprepared to try to change anything :- I can understand this as our elected representatives do not listen to the the people who elected them to represent their views.

Have not met anyone in the last 2 years ( apart from Red Mick in the local pub ) who admits to have voted this lot in, somebody must have. Unfortunately we do not seem to have much choice, all the main parties views seem to be so similar that there is little to choose between. Who do you believe ? Well the old chestnut has it. " How do you know when a politician is lying ? His mouths moving "

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page