Nearly ran off road by spotty youth using mobile phone !!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 01-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Not Happy Nearly ran off road by spotty youth using mobile phone !!!!

Last night myself and the wife came home late from a wedding party. Had a great evening, and had a good journey home, until the very last roundabout before my house.

Indicated to turn right, taking my time (cos the wife's in the car). Came round the roundabout and noticed a Renault Clio heading down the road at pace. Slammed by brakes on in the middle of the roundabout and this Clio shot across the front of me.

Driving the Clio was a kid in a cap with his mobile in his hand, screen lit up whilst he typed a text message. I wasn't happy !!!!

Youngsters complain about the cost of insurance and how they are unfairly targeted, when you see incidents like this, you know exactly why they charge so much.

If I didn't have my wits, I would have ended up with his car ploughing into the side of mine !

Fat Stig Rafe is my hero !!!
99 Problems but a bi-atch isn't one !!! Vincent is !!
Shut Up Bradders !
Top poster August 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

paintergirl

Re: Nearly ran off road by spotty youth using mobile phone !!!!

Sorry to hear this howell - I hope you didn't get too much of a shock.

I see far too many people using phones whilst driving. Last week I spotted someone behind me in a big yank car, chatting happily away. They were completely distracted. To the point that they obviously didn't notice that they were sitting outside the police station at the time waiting for the lights to change. I turned off a good mile down the road and still they were chatting away.

There is really no excuse. Technology has come on such a long way.

Texting is something else though. It should have a higher fine.

MPH
AO Silver Member

County: Nukunonu

Seems people cant live without instant (mostly pointless) communication!
At least you managed to avert a crash! With recent media coverage of a few court cases and custodial sentences being given out I think that driving whilst on the phone will become the next target for the plod.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Bad news mate glad to hear you managed to avoid a crash!

I see far too many people chatting on their mobiles whilst driving, even here in law-abiding Japan
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

I find texting difficult enough sitting at home, must be an age thing. Besides that I struggle to see the point. Why text a mate to see if he's going out for a pint and then wait for a reply ? Quick phone call and all sorted out.

Texting whilst driving should lead to an immediate ban. Case in the paper today of a young lady jailed for nearly 5 years as she killed a cyclist whilst doing this. She was doing over the speed limit as well but the cyclist had run a red light. Had she not been texting, had the cyclist not run a red light it might just have been a case of a few words between them and home safely to bed. As it is many lives have been ruined over what was probably a pointless text message anyway.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Shocking howell...
amazing isn't it, it's not exactly a secret that using a handheld phone is illegal whilst driving, but a lot of halfwits sill think it's ok to do.

This is a link to the story nige mentioned
BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire | Text driver jailed for bike death

Perhaps it should be printed out and stuck to that prats face.
emgee

It's no secret that the risk with hands-free sets appears to be similar to using hand-held mobiles either.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic View Post
This is a link to the story nige mentioned
BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire | Text driver jailed for bike death

Perhaps it should be printed out and stuck to that prats face.
Thanks for posting the link alfaholic, must find out how to do this now I have the photos sorted out !
AO Platinum Member

i'm doing a little project for work on this for some activity that will kick off in a few months.

Here's the problem. Today's kids are the 'always on' generation. They'll be on MSN at home, with a DVD playing in the background, iPod plugged in, flitting from their MySpace page to their BeBo (?) page at the same time as sending and receiving text messages. The ability to concentrate on one task has been lost, as they are constantly distracted, every ten/fifteen seconds.

Now let's throw driving into the mix. Driving is the most dangerous thing we do every single day. It requires - largely - absolute concentration. The very thing that a generation of youngsters lack. Some reports from the States (and I must confess, I've not yet read the figures so sorry if this is not quite right) that drunk driving is closely being chased by distracted driving as a main cause of accidents; texting, calling, playing with MP3 players etc.

But like I said, there will be a campaign to address this. Once I've worked out what it will be, lol

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Just thought I'd add to the mix. Stats show that about 20% of all RTA's are caused by drunk drivers, therefore 80% must be caused by the sober ones.....

Pass me the Drambuie and the car keys, off out for a safe drunken drive.
AlfaLincs

Most people die in bed..that makes it the most dangerous place on earth. Avoid!!

We have an absolute works ban on using phones on the move. It doesn't work. I've seen our lads driving round on the phone and when you tell them you just get a sheepish grin back. I do have to say that as we are a 'responsive' service it is difficult to not answer the phone, but I don't until I pull over (trying not to cause an accident) and ring back..which is what we are told we have to do.

It won't stop until cameras are used to catch people and the fines (or imprisonment) get heavy..and it is a life an death issue after all.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

I would be considered a youngster and I hate this behaviour myself
if i need to answer I am already setup with hands free and wont read a text message until i stop the car in a safe and comfortable place that is when I aint using the phone to process my TOM TOM GPS data. Then I don’t answer it atall and tell my phone to divert all incoming calls to voice mail.

so now its only young people that use the phone while driving?
HSTDriver

Mobile phones should be switched off whenever you're driving. Hands free devices have been proven to have no effect upon the safety of driving whilst making or recieving a call, and texting is so obviously wrong that it doesn't even warrant mentioning.

Next time you go for a drive, have a think about whether you really need your phone on, or can it maybe wait until you get to your destination. We've all got voicemail systems in place, right?

Darren156

I see all types of people using their phones whilst driving, although to be fair it is mainly 'orrible spotty youths with crappy 'hot hatches'

I'm only 22 myself, but have not once openly used a phone whilst driving in the way that alot of people still are.

I beep people who use their phones whilst driving then show them the international sign for hanging up, Which they do!

I think I use my horn way too much though,

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Hands free devices have been proven to have no effect upon the safety of driving whilst making or recieving a call,
Where's that from?

This study found the risks of an accident to be to be pretty much the same when using mobile phones while driving with or without hands-free sets:

Role of mobile phones in motor vehicle crashes resulting in hospital attendance: a case-crossover study -- McEvoy et al. 331 (7514): 428 -- BMJ

This is what Orange believe:

Quote:
You can use a hands-free kit, though thereís evidence to suggest it doesn't reduce the risk of an accident. Itís safer not to use your mobile at all when youíre driving.

I'd be interested to see the evidence that there's no risk with hands-free kits, Can you link to it?

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Where's that from?

This study found the risks of an accident to be to be pretty much the same when using mobile phones while driving with or without hands-free sets:

Role of mobile phones in motor vehicle crashes resulting in hospital attendance: a case-crossover study -- McEvoy et al. 331 (7514): 428 -- BMJ

What's the evidence that there's no risk with hands-free kits?
That's what I meant. Hands free has no benefit to safety, compared to making a call normally. It's the conversation that's the safety issue, not the method of making that conversation.

Like I said, I believe in turning the phone off before starting your journey. Pick up your messages later (not that anyone other than the wife ever calls me )

emgee

Sorry, I misread it, got it the wrong way round.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Sorry to hear that H, glad that you are oth ok.

Why do we need instant contact - can never remember ques outside phones boxes 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Why do we need instant contact - can never remember ques outside phones boxes 20 years ago.
Yes, it's one of these modern diseases. People nowadays are owned by their mobiles, not the other way around.

AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

I went to Alfa wave a 156 today and I realised the bloke was chatting into his mobile. Was disappointing.

Hate that sort of driver (just here the kids with caps drive at speed in faster cars than Clios).

As a young driver myself, sometimes I find them trying to bait me into a "race" or something. I just ignore them. Its not worth the risk to my licence, my car or most importantly me or any passenger I may be carrying at the time. Plus I don't need to race them - I know my car would generally smoke theirs if I wanted it to.

At sometime most of us have done and will answer or use a mobile phone...

I try not to, but sometimes I do...

Sorry to hear about your problem Howell...

Chris
(Post Link) post #23 of 45 Old 03-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Thanks all !!!

I don't think it's an age thing, and I can understand taking an important call, but this lad was typing a bloomin letter into his phone whilst driving straight over a roundabout !!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Where's that from?

This is what Orange believe:

I'd be interested to see the evidence that there's no risk with hands-free kits, Can you link to it?
Emgee is right, there's no difference between speaking on a hands-free to speaking on a handset. It's the act of talking on the phone that is the problem, in fact it's the same as having had a couple of drinks:

Quote:
The University of Utah research showed that both handheld and hands-free mobile phones impaired driving equally, with no significant difference in the degree of impairment. That "calls into question driving regulations that prohibited handheld mobile phones and permit hands-free cell phones."

Participants in the study "drove" a PatrolSim driving simulator four times: once each while undistracted, using a handheld mobile phone, using a hands-free mobile phone and while intoxicated to the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level after drinking vodka and orange juice. Participants followed a computer generated pace car that braked sporadically to simulate normal traffic conditions.

Compared with undistracted drivers the participants who talked on either handheld or hands-free mobile phones had 9 percent slower braking reactions, and showed 24 percent more deviation in following distance as their attention switched between driving and talking. They were also 19 percent slower to return to normal speed after braking and were more likely to have an accident. Three participants drove into the back of the pace car. All three were talking on mobile phones. None were drunk.

From - http://www.mbmagazine.co.uk/index.ph...=993&Itemid=62
Darren156

I bought one of those Toss Bag McGinty bluetooth headsets so I could chat on the phone whilst driving and it's the art of conversation that's distracting. So it's now been abandonned in the Mondeo as I don't use it.

Made me look like a **** anyway,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page