BT (bloody terrible) broadband - - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulR
  • 1 Post By PaulR

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
BT (bloody terrible) broadband -

Ok so when it is working our BT infinity broadband is pretty good but -

Saturday night it failed. We have a white hub and a router. Router was fine but broadband light flashing and no broadband. The white box had no lights on. I tested the power supply and it had failed. No problem I had another power supply connected it up, lights on but still no broadband. No problem - I phoned BT saying it was the hub - answered instantly and engineer (OpenReach) booked for Monday - phew.

Engineer called Monday as arranged and on time - looking good. After testing everything he declared it was the hub (no surprises) BUT because of this there is nothing he can do. I have to call BT myself to order another one - WTF. What is the point in sending an engineer to fix a problem I had told them about only to be told he was not allowed to fix it.

You know what happens next. Held in a telephone queue for 40 minutes - I get to explain in clear terms what the engineer said. Asked to hold and 10 minutes later I was asked "What did the engineer say?" So I tell them again, I hold again then told "I will order a new hub for you" (No s***?). Then hold again - 5 minutes later - as you are not on contract you will have to pay for it WHAT!!!!!! - but I keep my cool and they say I can renew the contract (after the first contract I had been on a rolling contract for the last 5 years) and it will be free. OK - then I am transferring you now -ARRGHHH.

So I then get transferred the contracts dept. who, to be fair sorted it in 5 minutes. Then they said we will transfer you back to engineering - Ok - click and dialling tone. Double Arrgh.

So back to the helpline - 30 minute wait. I explain exactly what had happened - asked to hold. 10 minutes later back he comes with "what did the engineer say exactly" something inside me died, slowly and painfully. Then he said he would order a hub and ......... he did - no cost. It should be here by Thursday.

Today I get a voicemail saying they understand my broadband is now working! I call the number back but it is just a recorded message saying I don't need to call them back.

What a bloody shower. How difficult can it be to organise a service whereby sending an engineer actually serves a purpose? Why the F should I have to spend a total of two hours on the phone talking to people who seem incapable of understanding the simplest of scenarios.

I will wait to see whether the hub actually arrives - luckily we have sufficient bandwidth on 4G to last a few days provided we limit video streaming but that is hardly the point.

And relax.
Harvo likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Aren't you making the unreasonable assumption that a communications company is capable of communicating? Most of them can't. Virgin is probably the exception.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Plusnet are bloody good, customer service wise, I was with them for years but recently they couldn't/wouldn't beat a deal I was offered from BT.

Hope I'm not tempting fate.

Didn't know you could speak to a sentient being at BT.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I knew HMRC retirement wouldn't be a bed of roses
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
They have 4G is Suffolk?!
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Just buy a better quality replacement and configure it yourself. Then you won't be beholden to them and get a better service without their restrictions.
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 12-04-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
They have 4G is Suffolk?!
Of course we have.

There are 4 Guys who work for Google so when we want to look something up we write them a letter, they find the answer and they write back -doesn't this happen everywhere?
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Aren't you making the unreasonable assumption that a communications company is capable of communicating? Most of them can't. Virgin is probably the exception.
I suppose infuriating episodes such as Paul describes here are often just bad luck - coincidence of getting two or three below-par call centre folk lined up in a row...? (although BT do have a very bad reputation, and o2 used to be very good in the customer service dept)
... but in my experience Virgin were incapable of communicating... I won't recount the sorry tale here as it's long and tedious and I don't need the pain of re-living it this morning

Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution Paul!
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
... but in my experience Virgin were incapable of communicating... I won't recount the sorry tale here as it's long and tedious and I don't need the pain of re-living it this morning
I've had issues with Virgin as well. I take the view that all these kinds of companies can on occasion get it wrong, some with greater frequency than others.
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th_Idiot View Post
Just buy a better quality replacement and configure it yourself. Then you won't be beholden to them and get a better service without their restrictions.
Please can you explain further? I know you can buy a new router from PC World but I didn't know the Openreach hubs (modem?) were available - would love to know where to obtain one to keep as a spare.
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 12-04-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

So - just had a call from BT.

"Is your broadband working now".
"No - I am waiting for the hub you ordered to arrive"
"I'll check"

5 minutes pass.

"You have Infinity Broadband and a hub3 has been ordered this is not compatible".

Silence 10 seconds.

Me - "OK - so you are telling me that I wasted 2 hours on the phone eventually speaking to two people neither of whom are capable of doing their job properly? I am not talking about you personally btw.

Silence 10 seconds

BT - "You have Infinity Broadband and a hub3 has been ordered this is not compatible".

Me- "You just said that - are you just reading from a script".

BT - "I'll order another one please hold"

5 minutes pass - I wonder whether taking up Yoga might help - nah - just idle speculation.

BT- "I have ordered a new hub it will arrive by 18.00 tomorrow and i will phone on Saturday to make sure it is working"

At this point I think about ranting but decide there is no point so say:-

"Firstly let me thank you personally for sorting this. Please pass on my comment that I find the service (not you) I have received prior to this appalling and incompetent.

Sigh.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Touch wood our BT service has been good for the last 12 months. But prior to this we had all sorts of issues with the line. When it used to go dead every few weeks, I to would die inside, knowing that I had to go through the hassle of reporting it and getting it fixed, with countless calls, chasing calls and ineffective engineers who just said that the whole area needed to be upgraded to make it work properly so couldn't do anything. The best "fix" was when an engineer turned up and fixed our line, lo and behold our neighbours died at exactly the same time. Call me cynical, but I think he just swapped our lines over and gave them our dud ones. Anyway, it became their problem then - I am a very good friend of theirs, but even I couldn't bring myself to own up and get involved with BT again....

I can't wait for technology/pricing to get to a point where I can wave goodbye to BT forever!

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I hate BT customer service with a passion,
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-17 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
Call me cynical, but I think he just swapped our lines over and gave them our dud ones. Anyway, it became their problem then - I am a very good friend of theirs, but even I couldn't bring myself to own up and get involved with BT again....
I want to say that is awful of you - but I know that I would do exactly the same!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page