Cracked my sump on Speedhump - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

9Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 2 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By MalcQV
  • 2 Post By TonyGr
  • 1 Post By User Unknown
  • 2 Post By MalcQV

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 04-04-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Cracked my sump on Speedhump

Cracked my sump on a speedhump wasn't even going that quick what a muppet. It did have some raised ironwork on it, which I'll be telling the council about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Yikes. Clashed myself before now but fortunately no damage as far as I know
(desperately tries to recall if it has been since I change the oil) :worried:
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Raised ironwork? WTF?

Are you sure you were going too rapidly?

More reason to switch to an SUV.
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 04-04-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
I'm still trying to figure it out, it wasn't that high either, and my 145 is standard not lowered,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170404_114056_resized.jpg (205.7 KB, 28 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Aah. Only a **** would install a bump over and inspection hole like that. Morons.
duemila likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I detest speed humps.....and if they really need to install them,make them the full width of the road ...less chance of this happening !!!
MalcQV and stan laurel like this.

Last edited by ronan; 04-04-17 at 16:28.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
Cracked my sump on a speedhump wasn't even going that quick what a muppet. It did have some raised ironwork on it, which I'll be telling the council about.
Where exactly is it? My new BRZ is frigging low!!
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Now THAT is mad. You can't have metal in the middle of a speed bump!

Why don't they go the whole hog and install a road-wide pit with spikes and snakes in it, spanned only by two foot-wide beams that you have to navigate to cross?

On a less ranty note: The reason why they do the bumps like this, with a raised middle bump flanked by flat roadway is to allow emergency vehicles to pass through without having to slow down after it was shown that emergency vehicles were being slowed down, sometimes with fatal consequences, by speed bumps in residential areas. Sometimes they do one bump per lane, but sometimes they employ a better system of leaving a flat area in the middle of each lane, so an emergency vehicle can pass through unhindered by moving to the middle of the roadway.
Regardless, I try to never straddle these kinds of bumps. I make sure at least one wheel crosses the high point of a bump, to be sure that the sump or exhaust system isn't anywhere near touching the ground. Sometimes easier said than done, if traffic is heavy or at night in an unfamiliar area.
AO Silver Member

In South Africa, legal precedent has been set, and subsequently been used many times, for people suing the government authority in charge of maintaining a road if a bad design or inadequate maintenance of the road causes damage beyond general wear and tear to their vehicles. It's mostly used for claiming in cases of tyre and wheel damage from potholes. Also, for medical costs and other damages from accidents resulting from the aforementioned bad design or bad maintenance.

I have no idea whether this is the case in the UK too, but well worth finding out. You can't have raised metal in the middle of a roadway!
AO Member

County: Bristol
From the gouges on the hump and ironwork, it looks like you're not the first to fall foul of that moronic installation either duemila!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I detest speed humps.....and if they really need to install them,make them the full width of the road ...less chance of this happening !!!
Agreed. I read the pillow type hump is as such to allow wider emergency vehicles (Ambulances and Fire Engines) to pass over without incident. Thing is often they can't. I'm convinced they make the suspension and tracking problems on my cars worse. It is impossible to avoid them to get home
Much prefer the full width ones because everybody slows for them.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Regardless, I try to never straddle these kinds of bumps. I make sure at least one wheel crosses the high point of a bump, to be sure that the sump or exhaust system isn't anywhere near touching the ground. Sometimes easier said than done, if traffic is heavy or at night in an unfamiliar area.
Me too but I do it to avoid scrubbing the inside of the tyres on the shoulder of the hump. If the tyre is running on the cross slope then the part at the bottom of the slope wants to travel further than the edge further up the slope for any given angular rotation of the wheel. Clearly this is not possible hence something must give and the tyre gets scrubbed.
MalcQV and stan laurel like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Speed-bumps aren't just inconvenient and unnecessary, they are also dangerous.
On a couple of occasions, due to poor markings (and on unfamiliar roads), I've caused the occupants in the back to experience zero gravity whilst driving over the stupid things (the bumps, not the people in the back ). One of those patients was gravely ill and the Paramedic in the back was stood up, administering aid/drugs. Luckily, no-one was hurt.

Actually, the more I think about it: why would you need a speed-bump at a Pelican crossing on a main road anyway?

On the flip side, I've also had people in the back that were't necessarily emergencies, but suffer chronic, painful conditions where a gentle, smooth ride is required. You can guarantee that they live on an estate, liberally sprinkled with unnecessary bumps, causing me to drive at 1mph to minimise the inevitable cries of pain.

And don't even get me started on rumble strips.
AO Member

County: -
Lying in the back of an ambulance in Jan 2000 with a displaced femoral neck fracture, sucking hard on a N2O mask and floating 2ft above my body as we approached the Princess Alexandra A&E dept, I heard my Paramedic companion shout through to the driver: 'lucky he's out for the count with all these new speed bumps'. As we hit them full-tilt, a blood-curdling scream came out of my mouth which made him jump somewhat. I did apologise, but he was very gracious about it.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I said above I prefer the full width ones. Not entirely true, if they must monitor speed rather than active speed control (speed bumps) I prefer passive (camera) if it's a necessity.
I'm sure where I live every single ****ing road that leads to home does not need speed bumps.
It was something I considered when I bought the house but the location preceeded over my sanity.
I now realise I detest the ****ing things.
duemila and stan laurel like this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 10-04-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
So this is the resulting damage a bolt has been sheared off and crack in sump, luckily I'm near Sunnyside garage who is trying to get me a sump, the contractor is still denying negligence even though since the Speed bump has been totally recovered and now the inspection covers are perfectly flush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170408_113104_resized.jpg (220.0 KB, 9 views)
AO Silver Member

Flush inspection covers are still a menace on a bump like that. On a full-width bump it could still be acceptable, as there is very little, if any, risk that a car would bottom out on a full-width bump.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
So this is the resulting damage a bolt has been sheared off and crack in sump, luckily I'm near Sunnyside garage who is trying to get me a sump, the contractor is still denying negligence even though since the Speed bump has been totally recovered and now the inspection covers are perfectly flush.
Have you been back to the spot and taken measurements? Even with the ironworks, it sounds like the approach angle could be outside of regs.

Contest it all the way mate...and good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page