Been said before but I hate 4x4s - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Not Happy Been said before but I hate 4x4s

latest advert to get all the saddo's drooling into their 4x4 magazine...

volkswagen TUIGAN

"a new compact 4x4"

the marketing men must be laughing all the way to the bank

i know its been moaned about before but come on

X5 X3
Range Rover
Range Rover Sport
Q7
X90
That Porsche piece of C**p
volkswagen whatever

i'll won't mention the other range of wannabees / lookalikees as they are just flipping pathetic.

please please don't let alfa ever get into this area of what has to be a sad reflection of life today - got to be be big, expensive and better than yours blah blah blah.

what a shame old ken livinglondon missed the chance to really penalise the 4x4 drivers.

i need a drink and a session in the 166 forum

il romeo di alfa fa le automobili più fini nel mondo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Re: Been said before but I hate 4x4s

join me for a pint of bile

the bloody gets speed over humps while i scrape me nose and arse at 3mph

murdering *******s
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

Some of us have no choice but to have these vehicles, I shoot alot and the only vehicle I can have ,especially this time of year, is a 4x4. Wish I could drive my little sports car everyday but dont think it would get far across a ploughed field.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Disclaimer: I've never owned a 4x4, probably never will do, and can't see the point of them in urban areas.

BUT...I do think all this 4x4-bashing by the media is more than a little disturbing, and I'm disappointed to see it trotted out on a car forum. Because let's face it, it's the thin end of the wedge - there are a lot of people out there who, for political or environmental reasons (or more likely political reasons masquerading as environmental concerns), just hate all cars full stop. So they're going after 4x4s as a soft target at the moment, and if they succeed in getting them taxed off the road, you can guarantee they'll focus their attention on sports cars next. Hey Mr Alfa Owner, do you really need all that performance? You don't, do you? Trade it in for a bus pass or pay £2000 a year for your tax disc...
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 21-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

its my rant and i'll rant if i want to. its a boring one too but hey who cares.... this is what this particular forum is for i believe

no logic to it i'm afraid - i'm not posting in the logic room. if i want logic i'll go to the other fora.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega2Alfa View Post
Disclaimer: I've never owned a 4x4, probably never will do, and can't see the point of them in urban areas.

BUT...I do think all this 4x4-bashing by the media is more than a little disturbing, and I'm disappointed to see it trotted out on a car forum. Because let's face it, it's the thin end of the wedge - there are a lot of people out there who, for political or environmental reasons (or more likely political reasons masquerading as environmental concerns), just hate all cars full stop. So they're going after 4x4s as a soft target at the moment, and if they succeed in getting them taxed off the road, you can guarantee they'll focus their attention on sports cars next. Hey Mr Alfa Owner, do you really need all that performance? You don't, do you? Trade it in for a bus pass or pay £2000 a year for your tax disc...
it's just a daft rant - no need to be disappointed in us

buuut....while we're on....4x4's are the big fat end of the wedge. All of us are going to have to adjust sooner or later but the brachiosaurs who park outside my kids school and force you to risk life and limb will be the first to go.

Seriously, have you stood next to an Audi Q7? Does it really need to be that large? Don't, anyone of you, tell me that a Q7 needs to be that large to carry a gun and a spaniel, 'cos it doesn't.

OK - polemic is polemic but these beasts are getting bigger, not smaller and they are incongruous in ANY urban setting.

No back answers.
24v

4x4's dont particular bother me,it's the odd person who drives them as if they have constant right of way, the women on the school runs are the worst, coming towards you on the opposite side of the road c***s. and not forgetting the times iv'e slowed down for speed bumps and a 4x4 comes flying up your arse just because they can fly over the speed bumps.

They dont barge through when there is 44 tonne coming towards them,
then again people say the same about trucks.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

They dont bother me either - I live in a country where 50% of the vehicles on the road are 4x4 or big SUV's and I drive 100kms everyday in my Alfa.

We own a 4x4 too and I was surprised how easy they are to drive, the volume of easy accessible space for kids and shopping etc. However I dont know that that I'd own one in the UK for no other reason than the running costs and the pointlessness of a true 4x4 for UK city roads.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
these beasts are getting bigger, not smaller and they are incongruous in ANY urban setting.
Agreed, some 4x4s are ridiculously huge, and I can't fathom why a lot of people these days rush off and buy one as soon as they've got a couple of kids, when just about any 4-door car would do the job perfectly well.

But behind all the anti-4x4 media spin lies the unpleasant truth that Livingstone's £25 charge applies to all Band G cars built from March 2001 onwards, not just 4x4s - it even includes some ordinary family cars like the Mondeo 2.0 auto. And he's already talking about extending it to the whole of London and to lower-band cars. Then, from there, you can guarantee it'll spread to other towns and cities once they see how much cash he's raking in from it...so IMHO it's important not to join in with the victimisation of one section of the motoring public, or we'll all be next in the firing line.

Anyway, promise I'll be less serious in light-hearted forums from now on...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page