School traffic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 19-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

School traffic

This week my commute has been so much quieter I can't believe it. Then it suddenly struck me that it's half term.

What I can't understand is why it should make so much difference. My commute doesn't go anywhere near a school, so is everyone ignoring the school buses and driving their precious ones in by themselves?

It doesn't seem that any of the traffic I see on my commute has kids in the car though. Maybe everyone's taken their kids skiing, so the commuters aren't going into work. I really can't work it out.

I guess my rant is for next week when it all goes back to normal.

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super all very much missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: School traffic

Everyone is on holiday mate, they all go away. Someone has to stay at home with young kids anyway. That's why there is less traffic.

Don't get many mum runs on the M25.

makes an enormous difference, doesn't it? Just shows you wher most of the traffic congestion comes from.

More should be done to get kids out of cars and on to bikes for the school run or even walk. Better for their health, too.......

Says the hypocrite at the keyboard who takes the car to work every morning....
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I actually leave the house 30 minutes early to avoid the traffic - rather sit in work (on here) with a coffee than in some god awfull traffic jam.

For comuting to work here in the south east, public transport takes some beating. The car journey is just too slow, too frustrating, and far more chance of an accident that does damage to your pride and joy.

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Agreed HST. I live in East London. It's actually quicker to cycle most places!! As Top Gear demonstrated last year!
(Post Link) post #7 of 25 Old 19-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I guess I'm pretty lucky really, I call it a commute, but it only takes me six minutes to get to work with no traffic. What I call traffic involves a three minute delay as the dual carriageway comes down to one lane. Still, it lengthens my journey by 50%!
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
For comuting to work here in the south east, public transport takes some beating. The car journey is just too slow, too frustrating, and far more chance of an accident that does damage to your pride and joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Agreed HST. I live in East London. It's actually quicker to cycle most places!! As Top Gear demonstrated last year!
I tried driving to work for a time in the winter as the trains were proving problematic, and can categorically say that while it took roughly the same time, it was an extremely stressfull experience and was exhausting. You can drive sensibly but it is the 1000's of impatient idiots around you.

Oddly though after Christmas my train in the morning is noticeably more packed than last year, but this week clearly mummies and daddies are taking their little chavs out, as the morning train is quieter but on the train home I have to work my way down further to avoid the pesky parents and kids coming home from a day out.

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
This week my commute has been so much quieter I can't believe it. Then it suddenly struck me that it's half term.
Doh! Of course, and i thought i'd discovered an amazing hidden shortcut from streatham to the M23 this morning..pants
mudhut

It's not just the cars carrying the kids that aren't on the roads. It's also a significant number of cars belonging to other members of the family that take time off during the school hols too.

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

my commute last week (half term) - just under 5 minutes. during term time? 10-15 minutes.

ok i know i'm lucky to have such a short commute but for school run mums to double or triple people's commuting times is just ridiculous

i walk my little 'un to playschool every morning and oh how i love to sneer at the mums turning up in big 4x4's who live CLOSER to the school than me
emgee

They should connect kids up to a national mainframe for learning by sticking plugs in the back of their heads, like in The Matrix.

Then some of them could be unplugged, like in The Matrix.

mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
They should connect kids up to a national mainframe for learning
Well you can't so there. It's been unplugged - see here.

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
Well you can't so there. It's been unplugged - see here.
Can't we unplug them anyway?

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

A lot of people off work in the school holidays, my missus was off work for the half term week.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Traffic is reduced by something like 20% in school holidays due to kids not being taken to school and parents taking time off work to look after them.

I must say, I find the attitude of contempt towards parents and their kids by some of the posters in this thread pretty insulting. As a single parent I'm on the school run myself, taking my daughter to school. Yes it's within walking distance, but I have to go straight to work afterwards so I drive. I know a lot of other people are in the same situation, so why the derision?

I don't see anybody slagging off single blokes without kids so why the other way round?
(Post Link) post #17 of 25 Old 22-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarlisle View Post
I don't see anybody slagging off single blokes without kids so why the other way round?
Because they don't drive their kids to school unnecessarily?
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Traffic is reduced by something like 20% in school holidays due to kids not being taken to school and parents taking time off work to look after them.

I must say, I find the attitude of contempt towards parents and their kids by some of the posters in this thread pretty insulting. As a single parent I'm on the school run myself, taking my daughter to school. Yes it's within walking distance, but I have to go straight to work afterwards so I drive. I know a lot of other people are in the same situation, so why the derision?

Agreed, it's daft walking the kids to schol, walking back home, then getting into the car to drive to work ! I do the same.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Quote:
Because they don't drive their kids to school unnecessarily?
And who are you to decide whether people who are driving their kids to school are doing so "unneccessarily"? Is your journey really so much important than that of someone taking their kid to school?

I presume that every journey you make by car is absolutely necessary then? In fact, define "unneccessary".
(Post Link) post #20 of 25 Old 22-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
And who are you to decide whether people who are driving their kids to school are doing so "unneccessarily"?
I'm not deciding who is taking their kids to school unnecessarily I don't know everybody's circumstances. However, there is a bus service around here and I'm entitled to wonder why people aren't using it.

Quote:
Is your journey really so much important than that of someone taking their kid to school?
Depends whether or not they have an alternative. I don't.

Quote:
I presume that every journey you make by car is absolutely necessary then?
Absolutely not. However, I don't make my unnecessary journeys during rush hour.

Quote:
In fact, define "unneccessary".
Adjective Not necessary; needless.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Quote:
I'm not deciding who is taking their kids to school unnecessarily I don't know everybody's circumstances. However, there is a bus service around here and I'm entitled to wonder why people aren't using it.
But aren't they equally entitled to wonder why you don't use it?

Quote:
Depends whether or not they have an alternative. I don't.
So you have a six-minute car journey to work, but no alternative means of getting there? How about a push bike?

Quote:
Absolutely not. However, I don't make my unnecessary journeys during rush hour.
Well you may not be aware of this, but schools open at 9am, which means journeys to them are necessarily during rush hour. On the other side of the coin, it means people like me are then commuting to work after 9am, i.e. outside rush hour and not getting in your way on your journey.

Quote:
Adjective Not necessary; needless.
Yes I can read a dictionary. What I meant is how do YOU define "unnecessary" because getting kids to school before 9am is certainly necessary and not done just for fun.
emgee

Anybody has the same right to use the roads as anybody else, and at any time. If I want to drive at 08.30 or 17.30 for any reason, or for no reason, I don't need anyone's approval to do that.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

The kids should take the bus, or walk. I had to.
(Post Link) post #24 of 25 Old 22-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
But aren't they equally entitled to wonder why you don't use it?
I don't need a school bus.

Quote:
So you have a six-minute car journey to work, but no alternative means of getting there? How about a push bike?
I could take my bike, but I need my car when I get there.

Quote:
Well you may not be aware of this, but schools open at 9am, which means journeys to them are necessarily during rush hour.
I'm well aware of this.

Quote:
On the other side of the coin, it means people like me are then commuting to work after 9am, i.e. outside rush hour and not getting in your way on your journey.
I never said I considered your journey to be unnecessary.

Quote:
Yes I can read a dictionary. What I meant is how do YOU define "unnecessary" because getting kids to school before 9am is certainly necessary and not done just for fun.
It's not necessary if there's a bus. My point is not that people shouldn't be allowed to drive their kids to school, it's just that if there's a viable alternative, they should use it.

My initial post was expressing surprise at how much difference half term makes to traffic, when I had previously assumed that the traffic had nothing to do with kids. This led me to wonder why it should make so much of a difference when there are buses that can be used.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Last edited by icarlisle; 17-03-08 at 11:08. Reason: Didn't want flame war!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page