Bloody Lorries! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 86 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Bloody Lorries!

Firstly, before I get crucified, I know lorry driving is not an easy job. My father did it most of his working life, and I admired him for it.

But driving home north on the A1 (two lane section) today I/we got stuck on three or four occasions behind two lorries sat abreast of the motorway at 60 miles an hour for three or four miles each time.

This seems to be a phenomenon that is on the increase now that lorries are limited to 60 mph. You get one doing 59.9 mph being overtaken by one doing 60 and it takes forever to happen, and the line of traffic behind stretches back to the horizon.

There is a section of the A1 around Durham where, for exactly this reason, lorries are forbidden to overtake at rush hour times.

Makes sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

24v

Re: Bloody Lorries!

I understand where your coming from,BUT'' i can tell you alot of the time it is the driver who is being overtaken it as happened to me many times,
you gain on a truck you wait for the all Clear even after you have tested your throttle to make sure you can get past,and you start to get along side and the other driver thinks it's ok to put is foot down leaving you stranded on the outside lane this is a regular occurrence , the drivers of today very really help each other the good old days have gone,
pressure for delivery times,and if your late they turn you around with out you being tipped,which will cause loads of problems and money being lost to haulage company's, because the driver most of the time would be back loading from somewhere else.

It is a rat race truck drivers just want to get the job done,but it does go both ways iv'e been held up on motorways with stupid car drivers doing 50mph in the middle lane,then the ****holes who also sit at the side of an artic when he is about to overtake another truck and he forgets that he has another lane on his right hand side it is so frustrating believe me, ,

they have got to teach drivers how to use the motorway when they are doing driving lessons alot of drivers are dangerous ,slip roads are another thing alot of car drivers have know idea'' they can not judge the speed of other vehicles on the motorway,
also you will find most trucks only do 53 mph limited 60 is supposed to be for buses my truck sits at 56 mph depends where the limiter is set.

i could go on and on but i'm so used to crap drivers on the roads i can see it happening right in front of me i dont let it get to me anymore,
not saying i dont have some bad days though,
the roads are just to busy now i'll be changing my profession very soon it is too much assle money is nice, but i would like to keep my health and especially now i have another baby girl i want to be at home alot more.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

The laws relating to HGV vehicles speeds have until recently had a " blind eye " turned to them. Here in Lincolnshire this is no longer the case and on the dreaded A17, mostly only a single carriageway, the HGV's are now obliged to sit at 40mph. This causes huge tailbacks, HGV's in convoys and very limited opportunities for overtaking, the few stretches that you may be able to overtake have, of course, a speed camera there ! Crawl past at 60mph risking life and limb or go for it and risk a speeding penalty ?

Can anyone tell me the reason why a modern, well maintained HGV is limited to 40mph ? Surely they are safe at a higher speed than this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
The laws relating to HGV vehicles speeds have until recently had a " blind eye " turned to them. Here in Lincolnshire this is no longer the case and on the dreaded A17, mostly only a single carriageway, the HGV's are now obliged to sit at 40mph. This causes huge tailbacks, HGV's in convoys and very limited opportunities for overtaking, the few stretches that you may be able to overtake have, of course, a speed camera there ! Crawl past at 60mph risking life and limb or go for it and risk a speeding penalty ?

Can anyone tell me the reason why a modern, well maintained HGV is limited to 40mph ? Surely they are safe at a higher speed than this ?
Speed limit of 40 on A roads and 60 for motorways. Most if not all new trucks have limiters fitted restricting top speed to 56 mph.

The 40mph limit for A roads, although frustrating at times for car drivers, is for safety and traffic flow reasons. trucks cannot take corners the way a car can and an unexpected bend taken at 60 can have disastrous consequences. In addition if they were allowed to go any faster cars would find find it even more difficult to overtake.

Trucks, if de-restricted, are capable of speeds in excess of 100mph - but that would be a terrifying prospect if allowed.

Drivers are under enormous pressure to deliver loads within very tight time margins (and can be financially penalised for missing allotted times) so can you imagine what the temptaion would be like to hammer the throttle if they lost time in a jam or something?

BTW there is no such thing as a "blind eye". trucks are regularly stopped in road side checks to have their tacographs checked and they are obliged to keep past tacos. If they are caught going over the speed limits they suffer far greater penalties than you or I as car drivers.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Speed limit of 40 on A roads and 60 for motorways. Most if not all new trucks have limiters fitted restricting top speed to 56 mph.

The 40mph limit for A roads, although frustrating at times for car drivers, is for safety and traffic flow reasons. trucks cannot take corners the way a car can and an unexpected bend taken at 60 can have disastrous consequences. In addition if they were allowed to go any faster cars would find find it even more difficult to overtake.

Trucks, if de-restricted, are capable of speeds in excess of 100mph - but that would be a terrifying prospect if allowed.

Drivers are under enormous pressure to deliver loads within very tight time margins (and can be financially penalised for missing allotted times) so can you imagine what the temptaion would be like to hammer the throttle if they lost time in a jam or something?

BTW there is no such thing as a "blind eye". trucks are regularly stopped in road side checks to have their tacographs checked and they are obliged to keep past tacos. If they are caught going over the speed limits they suffer far greater penalties than you or I as car drivers.
Thanks for the info Will, understandable but still very frustrating, especially as the A17 is a very busy road and for some reason a lot of the small bits that were dualled have been put back to single !
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
they have got to teach drivers how to use the motorway when they are doing driving lessons alot of drivers are dangerous
I have to agree with you there. I actually don't have too much of a problem with the lorries taking ages to overtake. It does happen occasionally, but it doesn't bother me too much. I personally have more of a problem with lane discipline from the car drivers to be honest.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Will, understandable but still very frustrating, especially as the A17 is a very busy road and for some reason a lot of the small bits that were dualled have been put back to single !
I appreciate where you're coming from: The A75 from carlisle to Stranraer is chock-a-block with trucks heading for the ferry and the road is mostly two lane. The police moniter it very strictly so we often get stuck behind Paddie Fridges doing 40 mph. But what can they do?

To my mind the gov. should spend more of road taxes upgrading some of these roads to at least dual carriageway - some of them are no better than tarmaced goat tracks at present.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

To my mind the gov. should spend more of road taxes upgrading some of these roads to at least dual carriageway - some of them are no better than tarmaced goat tracks at present.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Will. Here in Lincs the roads are very poor and although I know we have lots of little country roads these are not a problem, in fact can be a lot of fun. However the lack of dual carriageways is inexcusable and I think that we are the only English county not to have any motorway at all, despite being the second largest county ( I think ! ) Sorry Will, don't know how that last statistic applies to bonny Scotland !

EDIT. Dunno what happened here with two replies for the price of one, confused once again !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
To my mind the gov. should spend more of road taxes upgrading some of these roads to at least dual carriageway - some of them are no better than tarmaced goat tracks at present.
Couldn't agree more Will. Here in Lincs the roads are very poor and although I know we have lots of little country roads these are not a problem, in fact can be a lot of fun. However the lack of dual carriageways is inexcusable and I think that we are the only English county not to have any motorway at all, despite being the second largest county ( I think ! ) Sorry Will, don't know how that last statistic applies to bonny Scotland ! [/QUOTE]
24v

Alot of the roads in the uk, like the one's which are single carriage are 40 mph for trucks,but the law for these roads have been like it for years, the trucks nowadays are hell of alot safer ,engines alot more powerfull mine pulls 44 tonne on a steap climb and wont drop below 50mph.

Will when those irish lads come of the boat in the early hour's when iv'e been going towards stranraer you can sometimes see more than 2 headlamps coming towards you they race mate we do work with the irish company's ,
also you have to remember the new trucks now have digicards like mine no more filling in tacho's just slot it in ,it will monitor everything.

i go everywhere some b roads are safer than others,the lincolnshire roads can be dangerous at times iv'e had to break many times so a car wont hit me head on ,but it's the same everywhere depends how much you value your life to be honest.

The problem though is that when a car sits behind a truck doing 40 mph on a single carriage way, you see a big line of traffic behind it,
now he is not breaking the law'', now you imagine if he does do 50 plus mph and gets a blow out on the front axle,he will go right towards oncoming traffic or left down a ditch there would not be much room for trying to control it especially when loaded ,thats one reason why the law as never upped the speed limit on these roads,
i'll admit ive put my foot down in the past,and you hope that you dont have a blow out at the front beleive me your arse will flap it is not very nice,you think when that tyre rips of the rim.

Last edited by 24v; 20-02-08 at 10:00.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
I think that we are the only English county not to have any motorway at all, despite being the second largest county ( I think ! )
I always thought it was just us, but there's actually five counties. Personally, I'm glad of our crappy train service and lack of motorway links. If you could get to somewhere you can feasibly make a living within a decent time, we'd be filled with commuters as well as the second home lot we already have.
emgee

Rutland isn't a county anymore.

all car drivers should be made to sit in a truck for a week when you pass your test and see from our vantage point how awful/incompetent the general standard of car driving in this country is.you are in no position to criticise a proffesional driver who has undergone a rigorous learning and testing process and who handles a 60ft long and 40 tonne weight better with more skill and for more miles than any average car driver.i do not include emergency service drivers or even people who have passed the rospa advanced driving test but the rest of you have **** all training even less skill no certificate of proffesional competence and can get ****ed.john.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bird View Post
you are in no position to criticise a proffesional driver who has undergone a rigorous learning and testing process and who handles a 60ft long and 40 tonne weight better with more skill and for more miles than any average car driver.
Fair enough. But I think we were talking about the ones that drive like ********s.

(Post Link) post #15 of 86 Old 20-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bird View Post
all car drivers should be made to sit in a truck for a week..............etc.
All that training etc. is no guarantee of good common sense.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Yeah and they still like to keep dead bodies in rolled up carpet in the cab.

</viz>
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Yeah and they still like to keep dead bodies in rolled up carpet in the cab.

</viz>
FOR SALE - 1 rucksack....

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Fair enough. But I think we were talking about the ones that drive like ********s.
Or courtesy to us unskilled drivers who have only been driving, in my case, for a mere 42 years, I stand castigated for my inept driving.

I'm not having a go at truckers but they are like the rest of us, some good, some indifferent and some crap. I especially dislike the tailgating, streams of trucks literally nose to tail, how are you supposed to overtake safely ? What happened to the idea of leaving a gap between vehicles so someone overtaking doesn't have to overtake ten at a time ?
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
I always thought it was just us, but there's actually five counties. Personally, I'm glad of our crappy train service and lack of motorway links. If you could get to somewhere you can feasibly make a living within a decent time, we'd be filled with commuters as well as the second home lot we already have.
Fully agree. When I returned home from working overseas I could have gone anywhere, I have no ties, but settled for Lincolnshire for just the reasons you say.

So why am I moaning ??? Mostly at the useless road planners foisting their ideas on us, most of the ideas we don't want or need, the things we would like to see improving are of course ignored by the powers that be. You'll maybe remember last years local elections when Boston hit the National news when the voters staged a revolt with the too long in post councillors and went for a complete new set, the Boston Bypass Group. Have things improved. Not by much.
24v

I can tell you not many people can get up at various hour's of the morning ie after midnight in all weather conditions,and do a 15 hour stint and 400- 500 mile a day at 56mph,with so many dumb wits on the road ,i have been in trucks since i was a baby with my dad ,i passed my class 1 at 21 i'm still a young truck driver at 37 yrs of age,
we all can make mistakes on the road but iv'e been on many roads where you think a car driver would like to kill you or themselves,
for instance when a car driver decides to pull in front me on a duel carriage way with nobody else around,slow right down to my speed and put is brakes on and iv'e almost crashed, then he speeds of and gives me the finger why''know idea a dislike to a person who works hard for a living and could of been killed and leave my wife and 2 daughters behind it upsets me.

I'v'e watched car drivers in the middle lane of the motorway driving as if they only think about there selves, if a car driver can not tell when a truck is going to pull out by the way he is coming up to another vehicle on the near side lane he should not be on the motorway as far as i'm concerned,
i can tell you most truck accidents are because of stupid car drivers who chop a truck up causing an accident and drives off thinking he as done nothing ,

we dont just sit behind the wheel we have to think all the time,how much driving time left ,do i need a break, when will the gaffer phone me to go some where else,we some times have to load unload how own trucks,which can be handball the goods,a typical day, down to london back to notts change trailers up to penrith park up,next day 3.00 in the morning up to dundee then down and across to newcastle reload then get as far as you can down to deliver coventry.
very tirering.
i think we need a little bit more respect,when we are only delivering goods for people to buy where not the devil.
24v

The reason why trucks tail gate each other is for when they want to overtake they pull as close to the truck in front before pulling out,how would you feel if we pulled out 3 or 4 truck lengths when where only traveling 1 to 3 mph different,
there will be a tail back'' then car drivers will be moaning,its not rocket science.all us truck drivers do it if the roads are busy i'm sorry to go on but this shows how car drivers think.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

As I said, not all HGV drivers are brilliant " Knights Of The Road ", not all car drivers are idiots. Like everything else there are good and bad.
24v

Quote:
As I said, not all HGV drivers are brilliant " Knights Of The Road ", not all car drivers are idiots. Like everything else there are good and bad.
Agreed good and bad in every trade but truck drivers nowadays get a roare deal,i'm not a forum moaner, just stating it is not an easy job at times you are constantley being p***ed about by your employer like when i thought i had finished work once after i had done 13 hours, i got back to the yard and they phoned me and said we want you to get as far as you can up the road you have 2 hours left working time for a 15 hour day ,i said the wifes expecting me home cooked me dinner and all that,sorry where desperate they replied .

the only reason why iv'e managed to be on this forum lately is because i'm off.

If someone wants to earn good money,and dont mind being away from home all the time ,and dont mind having any social life,and can get up at all hours and also dont mind hard work get yourself a class 1licence.

But me i've had enough'' iv'e decided after 16 coming on 17 yrs that i want a life instead of putting up with the stress of the job,
sounds depressing doesn't it some drivers like that life style.

Funny thing is that I did come up with a scheme/proposal that I told my MP 6 years ago....

It was to have overtaking zones...on motorways and dual carriage ways....

Where you could paint sections of roads, where Lorries are only allowed to overtake....

They could be placed at sections where lorries would get the advantage....such as decents down hills, long straights...etc.

They could be marked up in 1 or 2 mile stretches in say red/blue paint...at appropriate intervalls.

Hopefully what would happen is that lorries could not duel all the time except in the overtaking zone....and that would allow other uses to be more patient...as they would know that the zone only lasts for 'x' miles...etc hopefully allowing for a bit more calm....and respect from both sets of drivers...

What happens now is that people don't let lorries out and lorries enevitably lose the advantage they had....and then have to pull out cutting people up...

Its not their fault but car drivers selfishness. in respecting that a lorry does not have a burst of speed....and needs to take time.

Chris
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Funny thing is that I did come up with a scheme/proposal that I told my MP 6 years ago....

It was to have overtaking zones...on motorways and dual carriage ways....

Where you could paint sections of roads, where Lorries are only allowed to overtake....

They could be placed at sections where lorries would get the advantage....such as decents down hills, long straights...etc.

They could be marked up in 1 or 2 mile stretches in say red/blue paint...at appropriate intervalls.

Hopefully what would happen is that lorries could not duel all the time except in the overtaking zone....and that would allow other uses to be more patient...as they would know that the zone only lasts for 'x' miles...etc hopefully allowing for a bit more calm....and respect from both sets of drivers...

What happens now is that people don't let lorries out and lorries enevitably lose the advantage they had....and then have to pull out cutting people up...

Its not their fault but car drivers selfishness. in respecting that a lorry does not have a burst of speed....and needs to take time.

Chris
Very good coment and it would be nice if we had more crawler lanes there is the odd one around and they are great.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page