Flaming dealers !!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Madness Flaming dealers !!!

Well, I've had my GTV for 8 days now and I already hate Alfa dealers....

The heater failed after a couple of days.. Grr.. Took it into Alan Gibson in Basingstoke and asked them to check it out.. With my wallet 66 lighter they told me it was a small motor that controls a flap turning the heat on and off... Big deal.. Asked them to order the part and I'd bring the car back when it's in...

Later that day got a phone call from the dealer, part is on order an will be in overnight.. Got up nice and early to take the car in only to find that, apparently, the ordering system got it wrong and there wasn't a part available in the UK back to work and waited for the call to let know when the part had been shipped from Italy !?

Phoned up today.. the part is in... took the car in again.. waited all day for the call to say it's fixed and I nolonger have to drive in in subzero temps in the car and........ they ordered the wrong part

The correct part has now been ordered, apparently !! I have to take the car back AGAIN tomorrow to see if the have got it right... there is going to be a major going on tomorrow.....

Have I just been unlucky or do all Alfa dealers work like this ?!?!?! What have I let myself in for .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Re: Flaming dealers !!!

Good customer service is not that difficult to achieve and this kind of thing really annoys me. It's poor management control.

I have come to really enjoy the Alfa marque, it should be a great brand but let down by this kind of [email protected]

There must be somebody within AR who can get a grip of UK dealers as a whole.
Nev

I get text messages when parts
arrive now, asking me to book
the car in.

And they insist on having the
reg doc before making any orders.

It's not rocket science.

An informed customer is
a calm customer.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

This is very shoody service from Alfa, I think there are good and bad dealers within the network so dont despair, just find a decent one and stick with them.

Maybe a good indie would be better and lighter on the pocket.

At least you have an Alfa dealer close to you, mine nearest is over 60 miles away.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Sounds normal in my experience. Maybe they should shut for two months for some training.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Alan Gibson Basingstoke is one of the slower ships in the convoy from my experience.

"Ordering the wrong part" is sometimes not the dealer's fault though.. I've had parts arrive that were incorrectly packaged (i.e. left-hand drive wiper arm in a right-hand drive packet). And sometimes the parts CD is a bit vague about what the part is (small piccie) so you're not always sure that the part you ordered is the actual part you want.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I get text messages when parts arrive
What Nev Said !!

The Parts Dept. of my supplying dealer is the only efficient Dept. in the place IMO !!

As has been said... find a good dealer and stick with them !! (Not always easy when they're few and far between I know !! )
(Post Link) post #8 of 19 Old 19-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Feeling a bit chilled today, or should that read warmed ???

Heating is working again now, and had a chat with one of the guys from the dealer when he picked me up. He admitted that human error may have played a part in the problem, but still blamed the Alfa/Fiat ordering system for being slow... Knocked a reasonable amount of the bill though

Now on the lookout for a decent independant Alfa garage in the Basingstoke / Reading area.
emgee

Having an indie work on a new one would invalidate the warranty though, wouldn't it?

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Having an indie work on a new one would invalidate the warranty though, wouldn't it?
No emgee as long as they use genuine parts and follow the service schedule any garage can service your car

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

What BORING Said !!
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
What BORING Said !!
I go away for a few days and come back to abuse ...bet you missed me though

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Rayq81

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciantrius View Post
Well, I've had my GTV for 8 days now and I already hate Alfa dealers....

The heater failed after a couple of days.. Grr.. Took it into Alan Gibson in Basingstoke and asked them to check it out.. With my wallet 66 lighter they told me it was a small motor that controls a flap turning the heat on and off... Big deal.. Asked them to order the part and I'd bring the car back when it's in...

Later that day got a phone call from the dealer, part is on order an will be in overnight.. Got up nice and early to take the car in only to find that, apparently, the ordering system got it wrong and there wasn't a part available in the UK back to work and waited for the call to let know when the part had been shipped from Italy !?

Phoned up today.. the part is in... took the car in again.. waited all day for the call to say it's fixed and I nolonger have to drive in in subzero temps in the car and........ they ordered the wrong part

The correct part has now been ordered, apparently !! I have to take the car back AGAIN tomorrow to see if the have got it right... there is going to be a major going on tomorrow.....

Have I just been unlucky or do all Alfa dealers work like this ?!?!?! What have I let myself in for .....

Hmm... I've had this sort of thing with A) VAuxhall and B) Nissan main dealers, nothing specific to Alfa. Even independents get things wrong... So no big deal --- except you're freezing your cojones off when you go to work...
AO Silver Member

Is it just me? I wouldn't be expecting to pay anything if I'd only just bought a car and something failed.
Is that unreasonable?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tul66 View Post
Is it just me? I wouldn't be expecting to pay anything if I'd only just bought a car and something failed.
Is that unreasonable?
Good point provided the car came from a dealer but if it was a private sale then no warranty would be included.

(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 20-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tul66 View Post
Is that unreasonable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Good point provided the car came from a dealer but if it was a private sale then no warranty would be included.
Normally I would have gone back to the dealer where I bought the car and got them to fix it and demanded they paid, but, the dealer is over 80 miles from where I live.
For what was a small 1 1/2 fix it would have cost about as much in fuel and my time to get it done under warrenty as to have it fixed by another dealer.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciantrius View Post
Normally I would have gone back to the dealer where I bought the car and got them to fix it and demanded they paid, but, the dealer is over 80 miles from where I live.
For what was a small 1 1/2 fix it would have cost about as much in fuel and my time to get it done under warrenty as to have it fixed by another dealer.

Maybe the garage would have paid for a local garage to complete the repair - if you dont ask you dont get.

I have travelled to buy a few cars and normally ask would they allow a local garage to do any repairs and most say yes provided the cost is no more than their local repair centre.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page