New Job Rant... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

HSTDriver

New Job Rant...

Apologies for the long post, but here goes:

As most of you know, I'm a High speed train driver at Paddington, which is nce, but it's a long way to go to work. I also harbour a bit of an ambition to become a trainer/instructor driver, delivering the classroom based year long driver course, and also assessing both existing drivers and trainees on their actual driving out there in the real world.

So one day towards the end of last year I saw a position for a Trainer with my local train operating company, C2C, based just down the road from where I live. It looked ideal, close to home, the position and responsibility I'd love, with more 'regular' hours and more normal work pattern than my curent shifts.

So I applied for it, and recieved a phone call a week or so later saying they're very interested in me as an applicant, and they'll arrange an interview and assessment day shortly. Which they did, and I booked that day off work so I could make it.

They phoned up 3 days before that date and cancelled, saying they wanted to change the advert and position slightly, but they'd be in touch, because I was an excellent applicant, and they really wanted to see me. No problem, I thought. I'll wait it out.

And today (the 16th) at just after midday, I recieved a letter inviting me to another assessment/interview date.

It's this monday, the 18th at 09:00, and I should expect to be there until 17:00.

Which would have been fine, I'd have been jumping through hoops If they'd actually given me more than 1 and a half days notice.

I'm working at Great Western on monday, and it's too late to book a day off. Nor am I going to my boss (who I actually like and respect) to ask for special leave so I can attend an interview with another company.

So the local trainers position is going to pass me by (and they'll miss out on someone they deem to be a prime candidate) because they didn't want to give me any notice of the actual assessment date.

So well done them

I'm actually really, really angry about this, I'm also pretty deflated and upset, I didn't realise how much I was hoping to get the job until now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Re: New Job Rant...

Understand how you feel and unreasonable to expect you to drop everything at 36hrs notice to attend especially as doing so would mean you being disloyal to the current employer (not something I'd want to see in a potential employee). Suggest a nice phone call on Monday am explaining the situation, how you'd really like to be considered and could they possibly rearrange for you.

Good luck
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Bad luck 'Driver, sorry to read this

The facts you present show you are a strong candidate and there will be more opportunities presenting themselves to you, I am sure

Furthermore, why not send some speculative CVs to companies saying you are looking to become a trainer?
emgee

Very poor, as much of their target demographic will be working complex shift patters. It's well worth contacting them though, as suggested above. They may well not recruit from their arranged day if the people aren't good enough.

AO Member

If they are interested in seeing you and they think your the right person for the job I'm sure they'll understand that you need more notice to get the day off and attend. I'd get in touch and ask can they re-arrange it for when its convienient for both of you.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

All of the above, but also, are they worth working for if this is how they treat prospective employees?
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Not really considerate on their part was it? Can imagine how keen you are for the position, but I would puzzle about the company?:

yup with zulu on that one ...sorry about your bad news driver... perhaps as was mentioned before a pleasant phone call explaining your position ..you never know if the 'blunder' is a test of your flexibility, willingness to succeed etc ...either way the very best of luck to you
P.S didnt know you were a main line driver ...got railways in the family on my mums side going way back..my grandad was an engineer at doncaster plant and helped build the mallard and his father was a main line driver before him ....
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Give them a call explain the situation and that 1.5 days notice is not possible and you'd like the reschedule.
AlfaLincs

I think if you tactfully explain to them that 1.5 days notice to a long distance train driver on shift work is a bit of a nonsense, they will either reveal themselves as reasonable people and rearrange, or if not then they are a bunch of T*ats.

Actions speak volumes.....words? well we all hear plenty of them from employers don't we

AlfaLincs

emgee

Hard to say what you can "learn about the company" just from this. Larger companies are really an overlapping network of local cultures. Even if the HR people have screwed up the actual job could be still well worth having once you get past them.

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Great advice given, I'm with the *phone them and let them know you're still interested* group. Hope it turns out in your favour.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

now you know how it feels when trains get cancelled at a moment's notice or arrives 4 hours late (if at all)

only joking (i don't use trains any more), but if they're serious about finding the right person for the job then surely they'll be happy to make an alternative arrangement with you if you ask?
EddieGTA

Only just seen this HST. Looking for new employment myself so know the pain.

Did you contact them? If not I would recommend you still do, at the end of the day they have to respect the fact that you are employed and should understand more than anyone else that someone in your role, working shifts driving trains can't take a day off at such short notice. Letting them know you are still interested but were just unable to attend that day in particular. It shows commitment to your current job and future jobs you may take.

Anyway, good luck with the search!

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
I think if you tactfully explain to them that 1.5 days notice to a long distance train driver on shift work is a bit of a nonsense, they will either reveal themselves as reasonable people and rearrange, or if not then they are a bunch of T*ats.

Actions speak volumes.....words? well we all hear plenty of them from employers don't we

AlfaLincs
Totally agree with this... give 'em a ring
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

I'd feel a 24 hr flu coming on !!!!
HSTDriver

Well thanks for the support, everyone. I did give them a ring yesterday (monday) a few times in fact, but only managed to get a poxy answerphone, so I left a message and we'll see what happens.

I also decided to be a bit proactive and spoke to my boss about the possibility of becoming a driver/instructor at my current company (which is a step up from driver, but not as good as a fully fledged trainer-you don't do the classroom teaching, only in-cab) and as luck would have it there are loads of trainees booked to start with the company in 2008 and 2009 so he's in need of instructors, and is hopefull of sorting me an assessment ride and getting me on the course as soon as possible.

So it might work out ok after all

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Good news, it's the next step, and it sounds like you have a good relationship with the current boss.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Well thanks for the support, everyone. I did give them a ring yesterday (monday) a few times in fact, but only managed to get a poxy answerphone, so I left a message and we'll see what happens.

I also decided to be a bit proactive and spoke to my boss about the possibility of becoming a driver/instructor at my current company (which is a step up from driver, but not as good as a fully fledged trainer-you don't do the classroom teaching, only in-cab) and as luck would have it there are loads of trainees booked to start with the company in 2008 and 2009 so he's in need of instructors, and is hopefull of sorting me an assessment ride and getting me on the course as soon as possible.

So it might work out ok after all
Nice one! get some trainer experience with your current company and then start enquiring with the one closer to home if you don't hear back now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page