Proud Of Our Police? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 59 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter

Proud Of Our Police?

Royal Marine fined for loyalty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was fined for showing pride in my regiment

Feb 11 2008 by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

A RETIRED Royal Marine has been fined by police for showing loyalty to his regiment.

Grandfather-of-two David Horlick had a Marine replica badge printed on his car number plate to recognise his service with the Royal Naval School of Music. But the 74-year-old was reduced to tears when two officers gave him a fixed penalty ticket outside his Walton home.

They told the widower he had to remove the illegal plate bearing the insignia of the Marines and pay the £30 fine, or go to court. Mr Horlick said: “I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I wanted the replica badge on the number plate because my late wife Connie was very proud of the fact I was a Royal Marine.

“I had seen Liverpool and Everton supporters put their badge on their car registration plates, which is understandable. As an ex-Royal Marine I wanted my badge there.

“I paid the fine and removed the plate, but I feel hard done to.” Police said the officers were following strict regulations, and registration plates were allowed to display only “an acceptable international symbol or flag.”

Acting Inspector Steve Hardy of the roads policing department, said: “Merseyside police prides itself on setting and maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and quality of service.

“We understand this gentleman’s frustration and we will of course look into the reasons behind this decision, but according to the regulations registration plates are only permitted to display an acceptable international symbol or flag.

“By ensuring every road user abides by the law it then allows the technology we have to work more efficiently.”

Government laws established in October allow only “an acceptable international symbol or flag.”

Number plates can include a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. The law bans football crests.

tinamiles @ liverpoolecho.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Proud Of Our Police?

hmm.

if the rules are that you can only show a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon, then that means you can only show a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon.

Imagine someone showed a Swastika. Then we'd all be for him being fined. Yes, it's sad that a marine got stung, but we all have to stick to law. If the symbol is illegal, the symbol is illegal - what it signifies doesn't matter.

Like if a Marine was carrying a marine-issue knife, he's still carrying an offensive weapon.

"A RETIRED Royal Marine has been fined by police for showing loyalty to his regiment." No, he was fined because he broke the law.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Acting Inspector Steve Hardy of the roads policing department, said: “Merseyside police prides itself on setting and maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and quality of service.

By ensuring every road user abides by the law it then allows the technology we have to work more efficiently.”
[/QUOTE]

Quality of Service? Too many fast tracked graduates with sociology degrees and delusions of grandeur and not enough proper coppers.

By ensuring every user abides by the law it then allows the force to continue in its new role as tax collectors because as we know catching criminals is too difficult.
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

If the old geezer was wearing a hoodie, was an illegal immigrant or from a religious minority they would have left him alone
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Well technically he did break the law, but I'd have liked to have seen a bit of discretion. A quiet word would have been better. "Sir, your numberplate is illegal, you are only allowed to have a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. Please remove it and put on a legal plate. Thanks"

Then it wouldn't have become a news story.
AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Precisely, 14 days to sort it out everybody's happy.

These kinds of incidents are pr disasters and help nobody.

They just hasten the public's diminishing respect for all levels of authority.

There is no longer a concept of Policing by consent.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt74 View Post
They just hasten the public's diminishing respect for all levels of authority.
but he broke the law; he disregarded the authority he's meant to respect (not intentionally. granted)

And yes, some discretion from the Police would have been appropriate, but this is a storm in a tea cup. A typical hero v jobsworth story.

“I had seen Liverpool and Everton supporters put their badge on their car registration plates, which is understandable. As an ex-Royal Marine I wanted my badge there.

“I paid the fine and removed the plate, but I feel hard done to.”

Erm, why precisely? How can you be hard done by? Liverpool and Everton fans have been fined, now this guy. I don't see where the 'hard done by' is.

Also, another point - without dissing that he was a royal marine, is this guy like a war hero? Did he liberate Poland or something while he was in the Royal Navy School of Music?

g
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Well technically he did break the law, but I'd have liked to have seen a bit of discretion. A quiet word would have been better. "Sir, your numberplate is illegal, you are only allowed to have a European Union symbol, Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George or Red Dragon. Please remove it and put on a legal plate. Thanks"

Exactly.

He could put any badge he wanted anywhere else on his car - what's so special about having it on the plate?

Maybe he was advised but chose to get stroppy - who knows?

Paul.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Maybe he was advised but chose to get stroppy - who knows?
From my experiences with the police, most of the time they don't use discretion and just hand out the fines, regardless of your attitude

From what I can tell from my experiences, the public's respect for police has seriously diminished , and I think fixed penalty fines coming into force is one of the main reasons.
(Post Link) post #10 of 59 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter

Yes he did break the law but wouldn't a '14 day wonder' or a warning have been more appropriate? How many other illegal number plates do you every day on the roads? They always seem to get away with it
Nev

Wouldn't have this problem if they
just used number plates for what
they are meant for: a means of
identifying cars.

Shouldn't have personalised plates.
Shouldn't have "flags".
Shouldn't have anything but a single
specification for plate and lettering.

Anything else: on the spot fine.
No arguments or leeway.

People are already *****ing about
the rollout of standardised plates
in France. And the loss of the department
number. (No more cool 06 plate. )
Tough, I say. It's just a vehicle reg number.

What's wrong with stickers, if you want
to display something on your car anyway?!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post

Well put, Pud
Rules are for the guidance of the wise
Adherence of the fool.

John.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Why not just VDRS him OK, it'd be a bit of a pain but he wouldn't have been fined.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
If the old geezer was wearing a hoodie, was an illegal immigrant or from a religious minority they would have left him alone
Spot on - this country is going mad - drop the fine and go out and catch some real trouble makers like the gangs of 15 / 16 year olds who are probably terrorising the older generation.

Oh no they couldnt possibly do that as they may have to do a bit of real policing.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post

Guys, let's not make this a racial/religious point please. This sort of statements only works to inflame discussions.

The old man broke the law and the police was very strict. End of story.

Thanks.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Guys, let's not make this a racial/religious point please. This sort of statements only works to inflame discussions.

The old man broke the law and the police was very strict. End of story.

Thanks.
BF I would agree with you if there was parity for applying the law in this country but the sad fact is it is easier for the police to charge a soft touch
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

You may be right Chill, or you may be not. I'd just like to see the thread avoid developing into a racial/religious/immigration/disaffected youth discussion as we have had quite a few of those
AO Silver Member

Garage

I take your point BF any way I'd rather be talking about Alfa's

The law should be followed i agree, however as others have said, there is little parity in the system, i think it depends on which constabulary you have. I regularly see lads with the ford logo on their plates or indeed playboy symbols and in some cases religious symbols on their plates, which wouold suggest that north yorks police are a little more lenient in this area. Its always difficult when one police force acts in a rather harsh and to the letter of the law way and others are a more relaxed manner. To be honest the policeman should have pulled him over, told him his plate was illegal and given him a week to change it, but liverpool is a city with huge car crime problems and perhaps the chief of police has said to his blokes 'hit everything you see wrong and hit it hard, no exeptions' ...
AO Platinum Member

The number plate check in now part of the MOT and any car not complying will fail its MOT.

Personnaly as long as you are able to understand the number plate (Correct number)what is the issue.

We have the DVLA selling private plates encouraging you to alter the spacing etc and then the police handing out fines because you have altered the spacing - nice littlle earner for ald Gordon.

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Personnaly as long as you are able to understand the number plate (Correct number)what is the issue.
I guess it's for all the automatic number recognition systems in use.
emgee

Does just altering the spacing impair auto number plate recognition?

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Does just altering the spacing impair auto number plate recognition?

Yes it can confuse the ANPR system as can certain fonts.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Obviously we've only heard one side of the story here, there maybe more to it than reported.....
however, with that proviso and taking it at face value, it does seem this chap was treated very harshly.
Everyday you see plates that by rights should not be allowed, either with incorrect spacing, or fonts or badges/symbols.
I guess you get away with it as long as you don't get caught.
I'd be interested to see how big and what positioning this Marines badge was on the offending plate....
if it was no bigger than the Euro etc badges, and wasn't offensive and his letter type was perfectly legal, I really cannot see what harm it does.

Cue rant about Big Brother policing / why don't they catch real criminals etc etc

Steve
Oo--v--oO
'When I look at a BMW, Mercedes or an Audi, I see hospitals on wheels. They're clinical, with no real emotions.' - Frank Stephenson ex ALFA chief designer 2006

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
Yes it can confuse the ANPR system as can certain fonts.
Tx, I'd wondered about that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page