Timewasting Private Buyers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 12-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Timewasting Private Buyers

Is it really worth the effort trying to sell a car privately? I've sold a few cars upto £2k over the last couple of years, just toys, but my most recent car I reckon is worth upto £6k. I've just been strung along for 3 weeks by a private buyer who at the last minute then chances his luck with some yarn about his bank only allowing him to withdraw a certain amount of money. I'm now regretting trying to make a couple of hundred quid over the PX value - ultimately I think it's probably cost more trying to sell privately and lost out on the best car I've seen by doing so....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 155, GTV V6

Re: Timewasting Private Buyers

I think ultimately it depends how much you want for your car... If you get a good "trade-in" price - take it! Although cash is usually a better bargaining tool at the buying end. As a prospective buyer - I get frustrated with private buyers who want car-yard prices for cars that are not really in that great a condition. But from that perspective - I will tell a seller they are being unreasonable rather than string them along!
If you have a good car at a good price - someone will see it as a good buy - and buy it! If you are after a premium price, you will have to deal with plenty of tyre kickers and test pilots... I guess the other thing is with higher valued items finance is an issue for many buyers - the money is not necessarily sitting in the bank.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I know how you feel mate, I've had the JTD on sale for months and had about 20 email conversations with different prospective buyers, none of which have ever phoned me up or come to view. A couple have admittedly found something cheaper/closer to home, and one has even joined up here with all their new cars problems.. I didn't gloat, but I did smile inside
(Post Link) post #4 of 38 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I've had it on Pistonheads and had loads of email conversations and even a couple of viewings but ultimately it seems most are just chancers hoping to get a knock down bargain rather than genuine buyers. My most recent "buyer" made a px level offer by email which I told him to go away, he then came and viewed the car before eventually saying he could offer this much which was right, unfortunately the whole way along he's been keen to talk about collecting the car ASAP but not actually telling me how he would pay, then last weekend says he bank would only allow him to withdraw the original stupid amount......complete waster for all I can see. I've bitten the bullet and put it on Autotrader now.

My car is in excellent condition, not perfect since it's 3 years old, but as good or better than some cars I've looked at in dealers recently, the price is right for a private sale and I'm open to offers to get it sold.

Last edited by Mr_Caine; 13-02-08 at 06:36.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I have had some bad experiences and good when selling privately, you just have to take the crap that goes with people trying to get your car for nothing.

I normally give it a go for 4 to 6 weeks and then just P/X and take the hit.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

It always helps in my experience if you are in no rush to sell. If the car you are selling has no MOT for example then the prospective buyers use this as an excuse to knock you down.

I also have lots of non paying bidders on ebay recently when selling the girlfriends Cinq, as well as people on pistonheads calling and offering silly money even before viewing the car.

If a person comes around to view and takes a long time kicking tyres etc, I usually lock up the car go inside the house and say knock on the door when you have made up your mind. That way they usually dissapear if they are timewasters.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)

Been there countless times......comes with the territory I am afraid..

Chris
(Post Link) post #8 of 38 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Yeah I know. I'm just annoyed when someone strings you along for a few weeks and then dissapears.

I've put her on Autotrader, hopefully hit a wider market. Pistonheads seems to attract the - will you take <insert insulting offer> crowd; maybe dealers trying to get stock or a bunch of dreamers? Autotrders not cheap at &#163;44 for 3 weeks online and 2 in the mag but worth a punt.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

We only have one side of the story but it does sound infuriating for you.

I think it makes sense to put a time limit on stallers. Genuine or not, they should understand it is not unreasonable for you to keep the car on the market and sell it to someone else if they don't return with the bunce in, say, 5 days.

Any longer and they either don't have it, can't raise it or have had second thoughts.

Of course, you might be an unreasonable seller too (who knows?) or maybe there were reasons like price or condition that meant there was nobody else interested. That happens all the time with some private sellers too who seem to expect near-forecourt prices without the peace of mind.

They may even have thought you were a bit of a trader and become wary. You've admitted to selling "a few" over the last couple of years and people can pick up on that vibe possibly becoming (unjustifiably) suspicious.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
(Post Link) post #10 of 38 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
We only have one side of the story but it does sound infuriating for you.

I think it makes sense to put a time limit on stallers. Genuine or not, they should understand it is not unreasonable for you to keep the car on the market and sell it to someone else if they don't return with the bunce in, say, 5 days.

Any longer and they either don't have it, can't raise it or have had second thoughts.

Of course, you might be an unreasonable seller too (who knows?) or maybe there were reasons like price or condition that meant there was nobody else interested. That happens all the time with some private sellers too who seem to expect near-forecourt prices without the peace of mind.

They may even have thought you were a bit of a trader and become wary. You've admitted to selling "a few" over the last couple of years and people can pick up on that vibe possibly becoming (unjustifiably) suspicious.
The whole experience was a bit weird. It started with a will you take &#163;1500 less than you add message via Pistonheads. Then a viewing but the bloke hardly looked at the car, next he made an offer which I initially said I'd think about it due to other interest - there was at the time. We spoke a few days later, there was an period on a Friday/Saturday where I took a while to return his calls because I exceptionally busy at work, then I fell asleep on the Saturday! Eventually we did speak in the evening and he said he wanted to buy and I said fine I'll get the finance cleared (I was up front on this from the start) and you can collect - which I did. He then started texting me saying can I collect I said fine come with the cash but you need to confirm by phone and the car is yours - no phone call. Then another message saying was Sunday fine, would arrive at so and so. But wouldn't answer his phone I eventually rung on another number and spoke but then there was some story about needing to speak to me because the bank wouldn't let him take out all the money and we were back to the inital offer amount in cash again. It all went a bit sour after that.

The strange thing for me is that he hardly looked at the car, he seemed nervous in person, and never really wanted to talk about how he was paying for the car. I suggested CHAPs direct transfer but nope. His focus was on collecting as soon as possible but without confirming how he was going to pay. Maybe I was being over cautious but when I asked him to bring either his passport or photo drivers license both were "sent off". Maybe I was being overly cautious but it didn't feel right.

As for me being a trader, no way, I've sold a few hobbie cars I've bought to mess around with (actually I think 4 in total over 2 years)which introduced me to the world of chancers. The condition of my car is about as good as it gets for a 3 year old car!
AO Silver Member

Had the misfortune of two timewasters recently, once when I was selling my 75, an arse who's on this website, bleating on about "being messed about at work" when he didn't go through with it.
The other when selling my Maserati, who just didn't turn up. This was despite him continually calling every other day! There was someone else who I just didn't want to have the car, but that's another thing entirely.

Both were offered on websites dedicated to the Marques, so it goes to show, timewasters are everywhere!

I'll decide if I'm selling them again in the spring, so no doubt I'll have to deal with all that bo..ocks again, deep joy!
(Post Link) post #12 of 38 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tul66 View Post
The other when selling my Maserati, who just didn't turn up. This was despite him continually calling every other day!
Now that is just plain rude, but yes it's happened to me too, make you hang about then don't show and haven't even got the courtsey to call. Those sort of people are complete ******s.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

It does sound a bit like he was hoping you'd give him the car before the money was handed over.

You just have to accept there are idiots like that everywhere in lfe.

Better luck next time.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Don't believe all that crap about the bank.

When I bought the Cup, I phoned my back and told them I would need the cash the next day. They said they'd make sure it was there, and it was. I just walked in, told them I had cash reserved, no problem.

If the bank won't let him get the money it's because he hasn't GOT the money.

Forget him and move on. Hopefully you'll get lucky with the next punter.
alfafamily

If the private sale is only a few hundred over the PX I don't bother to try. When we have sold cars its only ever been with Autotrader and never failed.
I also have a few of my own rules that I stick to such as walking away from anyone who makes a silly offer. The silly offer is usually all they have to spend.

There are also some types in society that I won't even talk with when selling anything at all because they always ask what your lowest price is then offer you less..

private sales have always been painful for me , always someone knocking your car to pieces.."oh theres a scratch there" etc etc then offering way lower than the asking price which is just plain embarressing ..then having the cheek to turn up with less money than agreed as Mr Cain says and hoping to force the situation, so now i dont bother, i know that the dealer will give me eight hundred less than i could get privately but when selling privately people only offer trade prices anyway because they look them up on the net ...i dunno its a lot of pain for little reward in my book..now it goes to the dealer and i take the hit as SPPalfa says
emgee

I had to sell my old man's Seicento after he died, and much of the above rings true. I ended up taking down to a car auction in Chester, just to get shot of it and not have to deal with this rubbish.

(Post Link) post #18 of 38 Old 19-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Another weekend another waste of time. 1st buyer had the feel of someone going out for chat and a drive in someone elses car, reminded me of a chap who ragged one of my old cars and then dissppeared into thing air. The 2nd chap didn't show, and claimed he decided he needed to sell his car. Sunday, had a few strange calls and it was the same guy asking if I still had the mini for sale. Maybe a trader? Or maybe just an idiot.
Darren156

I was lucky with my 156 as I sold it to a member of the forum, although he isn't on here often.

He e-mailed asking if the car was for sale and after a few e-mails and pictures sent later he swung by and bought it.

Saddest day of my life!

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I recently P/X'd my Elise and I didnt even bother trying to sell privatly - way to many 19 year old test pilots out there.

Just P/x'd and &#163;11.5k for it which is pretty good as they were going for &#163;12k - time & money wasted on adverts plus clowns trying to knock me down what would have been the point.

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

I've sold a few cars & bikes privately. One thing I've learnt is that you can't afford to be Mr Nice Guy. As far as I'm concerned, unless a buyer leaves a reasonable cash deposit, on the understanding that it's non-returnable, the vehicle's not sold. I've been lucky with the last two cars I've sold privately - in both cases the first caller has bought the car, paying immediately in cash. In the second case he didn't even ask for anything off the advertised price, which left me thinking maybe I'd underpriced it!
AO Silver Member

Just had my faith in human nature restored. Sold my integrale yesterday to a lad from Edinburgh. Turned up when he said, paid for it and took it home.
How hard is that to do!!! Gone to a good home where it'll get used more than I had the time to. Wish I had the room for the GTV he sold to get it though.

Must admit, had a lump in my throat when it drove off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tul66 View Post
Had the misfortune of two timewasters recently, once when I was selling my 75, an arse who's on this website, bleating on about "being messed about at work" when he didn't go through with it.
The other when selling my Maserati, who just didn't turn up. This was despite him continually calling every other day! There was someone else who I just didn't want to have the car, but that's another thing entirely.

Both were offered on websites dedicated to the Marques, so it goes to show, timewasters are everywhere!

I'll decide if I'm selling them again in the spring, so no doubt I'll have to deal with all that bo..ocks again, deep joy!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Hate to say this but I have always sold privately - PX deals are usually crap.

I have never had a problem - they turn up with the cash or not. If not I accept no excuses - on the odd occasion when they have made the excuse of a delay with the bank etc. my response is "Goodbye".

The way I look at it is that you don't turn up at Tesco's checkout with a weeks worth of groceries, get them rung up and then start umming and aaahing and making excuses. Pay up or p*** off.

Paul.
(Post Link) post #24 of 38 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I just need some serious buyers rather than the clowns and dreamers that keep arriving.
Darren156

I swapped my car with Symonh2000. He got my Coupe 20V Turbo and I got his Alfa 156 2.0i TS.

Sadly this doesn't happen often, and most of the time you'll have to advertise your car to scrotes,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page