Commercial TV Channels - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

16Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Commercial TV Channels

I was up early this morning and after catching up with the news, decided to watch a program on Sky about Australian Border Control.

I think I've already had a rant about how disruptive the constant ad-breaks are, but today I found myself getting borderline neurotic about something far more frustrating: RECAPS

The program is half-an-hour long. FFS , after the ads are taken out, then it becomes 21 minutes long.

So why the hell do the TV producers/editors assume that I'm some kind of Goldfish with Alzheimers, and feel the need to remind me about the story they cut from, not just once or twice, but three and sometimes 4 (YES 4) times?

I haven't been anal enough to review the episode in order to quantify the effect of these damned recaps, but I seriously reckon, without them, the actual program could have been over and done with in about 10 minutes.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the TV package; this morning was a bit of an epiphany.
Sterzo, Verbout and Otto52 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Good rant Stan
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Agreed, Wheeler Dealers do that, or rather they certainly used to.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
It's worse on catch up as there are no breaks, so you go from a recap at the end of the first 5 minutes followed by, 3 seconds later, a sum of the recap you had before the non-existant break.

Quality rant on a new subject, 9/10
MalcQV likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Padding it out. Nasty. However I can watch an hour's WD in about 35-40 minutes max.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

These are the same programmes that have unknown "celebs" and "journalists" that talk for ages about what you are about to see,

"My fave bit in the video is when..... "

You've never seen it before you [email protected] You're reading from a script.
MalcQV and stan laurel like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
It's not just the commercial channels who are padding their documentaries out. BBC documentaries are typically three minutes in before the programme actually starts.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

I've forgotten how the rant started. Could you just repeat that for me please?
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
So why the hell do the TV producers/editors assume that I'm some kind of Goldfish with Alzheimers...
The fact that you can't remember you are doesn't mean that you're not.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's not just the commercial channels who are padding their documentaries out. BBC documentaries are typically three minutes in before the programme actually starts.
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
The fact that you can't remember you are doesn't mean that you're not.
HAHA.

Fair point, well made.
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Stop being funny.

I am an ANGRY MAN and you are not helping!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Planet Earth (David Attenborough's latest) was clearly made for the export/commercial market. Firstly there were the dreaded recaps at regular interval clearly marking the potential advert breaks and secondly there was a ten minute extra filler on making the programme which I image would be dropped to allow for adverts and keep to an hour long episode. This means that what the BBC advertised as an hour long documentary was in essence no more than 40 minutes of new marerial
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

because of that I hate those programs by Discovery or National Geographic channels. High Quality rant!
stan laurel likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
Planet Earth (David Attenborough's latest) was clearly made for the export/commercial market. Firstly there were the dreaded recaps at regular interval clearly marking the potential advert breaks and secondly there was a ten minute extra filler on making the programme which I image would be dropped to allow for adverts and keep to an hour long episode. This means that what the BBC advertised as an hour long documentary was in essence no more than 40 minutes of new marerial
You're quite right in that the new Planet Earth series has places for ads to go. As for the 'filler' of the making-of part of the show, I think these can actually be an interesting part of the show in their own right. But yes, this allows space for replacement by ads for commercial broadcasters which buy the show for broadcast in their own country should they so wish, to keep it at 1hr long.

It's a sad fact that the BBC can't afford to make these very expensive shows completely under their own steam. They are either a co-production with other broadcasters who pay some of the production costs (you'll see their names in the credits at the end) or the programme has been made very much with the intention of selling to other broadcasters at a later date.

What is quite heartening though, is that Attenborough still has a lot of input into the show, it's still 'his show', and if you watch the making-of part of the show you'll see that the on-location producers (and often crew) are British (ie BBC). In other words, the show is still effectively made for a BBC home audience, as Attenborough's shows always have been. Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if Anglophone broadcasters (Australia, NZ, USA, Canada etc) kept Attenborough's voice-over on the soundtrack, since he is so well-known around the world.

Infact, much as Obama often seemed to dislike the 'British Establishment', he made sure he had a personal audience with Attenborough before he left office, some time last year.
TonyGr, stan laurel and Verbout like this.
AO Member

Quote:
I was up early this morning and after catching up with the news, decided to watch a program on Sky about Australian Border Control.

I think I've already had a rant about how disruptive the constant ad-breaks are, but today I found myself getting borderline neurotic about something far more frustrating: RECAPS

The program is half-an-hour long. FFS , after the ads are taken out, then it becomes 21 minutes long.

So why the hell do the TV producers/editors assume that I'm some kind of Goldfish with Alzheimers, and feel the need to remind me about the story they cut from, not just once or twice, but three and sometimes 4 (YES 4) times?

I haven't been anal enough to review the episode in order to quantify the effect of these damned recaps, but I seriously reckon, without them, the actual program could have been over and done with in about 10 minutes.

I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the TV package; this morning was a bit of an epiphany.

So to recap: you pay a Sky subscription, there are loads of ads in-between and during programmes, and every programme these days has a 'sponsor'. So would it be fair to say Sky are swimming in money?

I think the best thing would be to ditch the subscription and go buy some Sky shares (if you could stomach it)
(Post Link) post #17 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Unknown View Post
So to recap: you pay a Sky subscription, there are loads of ads in-between and during programmes, and every programme these days has a 'sponsor'. So would it be fair to say Sky are swimming in money?

I think the best thing would be to ditch the subscription and go buy some Sky shares (if you could stomach it)
The package is with Virgin, but yeah, it's all much of a muchness.

The same applies to all the channels: Dave, Discovery, National Geo, etc. They all show the same crap, and they can choose how they put it out to the audience.

And I just don't get it.

Why would they treat their paying members as such?

It's almost like a being in a BDSM club without knowingly being a member.

Last edited by stan laurel; 16-02-17 at 18:26.
AO Member

Ah, OK, but you were watching one of the Sky channels - and presumably it was a Sky-made show - so they are responsible for the ad breaks and all the other stuff, Virgin are merely providing the platform.

Out of interest, was the channel Sky One (which is free and included in the basic Virgin package) or do you pay for more Sky Channels?

In any case, all the commercial channels 'show the same crap' because that's how they make their money.

However, AFAIK, the British-based 'terrestrial' commercial Public Service Broadcast channels (ITV, C4, C5) have the length and frequency of ad-breaks controlled by Ofcom. This doesn't apply to the other commercial channels so they tend to have more commercial time.

Finally, that BDSM club you're in...I can't believe you really don't know you're a member (how else would you explain the bruises?)
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

It was probably a US show being shown in the UK. They are the worst and have far more ad breaks in the native land.
AO Member

Yes, but the length and frequency of ad-breaks in any show are determined by whichever broadcaster is showing the programme, the ads will obviously all be for local consumption.
(Post Link) post #21 of 30 Old 16-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

hah!

Yeah, it was Sky 1 - I don't pay for extra channels [with Virgin], I've reduced the TV package to "Basic", because although you get 8 squillion channels, they all show the same ****e, with frighteningly co-ordinated advert breaks.

And we have netflix and Amazon prime (to be cancelled until the next TG series )

AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
It's almost like a being in a BDSM club without knowingly being a member.
Well that got my attention, I'll have to check my standing orders now.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

@Max/User Unknown......

..... "As for the 'filler' of the making-of part of the show, I think these can actually be an interesting part of the show in their own right."

Agree 100%, love to hear about the technical side of the programme being made, surely you can't watch a programme like that and not wonder how they did it.
AO Member

Ah, same as me.

I very seldom watch anything on Sky, I don't want the audience research people knowing I watch that crap .

Very occasionally there'll be something on Sky Arts which I want to watch, but this'll be when they're not showing endless repeats of Andre Rieu, the 'Classical' version of James Last.

Another thing to note, is that the much-trumpeted Sky Arts II has now been ditched, because despite Sky's best efforts to be seen as a 'quality' broadcaster, not enough of their adoring public wanted to watch anything remotely cultured. So Sky Arts (solo) it is, showing endless repeats and the very occasional new programme. If you paid a licence fee for that schit you'd be up in arms .
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
@Max/User Unknown......

..... "As for the 'filler' of the making-of part of the show, I think these can actually be an interesting part of the show in their own right."

Agree 100%, love to hear about the technical side of the programme being made, surely you can't watch a programme like that and not wonder how they did it.

Yes, I enjoy them, it's nice to see the people behind the programmes and the sheer effort that goes into making the show. Very often they are literally year-long endeavours to get 'that shot' and a 15min sequence.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page