Is it me?........ - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Is it me?........

Anyone else noticed how often the car in front won't accelerate, sometimes slows slightly, and even actually brakes when approaching a green traffic light?

It's as though they are 'willing' it to turn red, presumably to save them from having to make a decision whether to bolt across if they change to amber.

We live in a world of traffic lights and I spend my time feeling like a snow plough trying to push these cars forward through the lights.

That, and the sense that to overtake is akin to committing a criminal offence (most people don't like being overtaken and can't overtake themselves).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Re: Is it me?........

Just because the light is green doesn't necessarily mean that those with the red light will stop. I got wiped out years ago on a bicycle by a guy breaking a red light and since then always approach a green with with a bit of caution.

You have to make allowances for other peoples stupidity.
AO Member

County: Fife

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
Anyone else noticed how often the car in front won't accelerate, sometimes slows slightly, and even actually brakes when approaching a green traffic light?

It's as though they are 'willing' it to turn red, presumably to save them from having to make a decision whether to bolt across if they change to amber.

We live in a world of traffic lights and I spend my time feeling like a snow plough trying to push these cars forward through the lights.

That, and the sense that to overtake is akin to committing a criminal offence (most people don't like being overtaken and can't overtake themselves).

Indeed sir. You've covered just about everything thats most annoying on our roads.

Overtaking would appear to be a crime these days too but, in my experience, it depends on what I'm driving. When I overtake in my Volvo estate, then I don't get any protests from other drivers(horn, flashing lights etc) but when I pass someone in my Spider or Tipo 16v then everyone seems to get all shirty and treat me like I've p***ed on their kids on Christmas day.

I think the traffic light thing is a lack of confidence behind the wheel. Will I be able to stop in time if it suddenly goes red? But, as I've always said, if you have no confidence or ability to handle a motor car or, indeed have no interest in becoming proficient in driving a car, stay off the bloody road.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yep, its like the middle lane thing...too scared to drive properly!
AO Member

County: Yorkshire

Have recently nearly being T boned several times by people going through red lights when mine where on green I think it is fairly prudent to approach traffic lights with an air of caution A lot of people seem to treat red lights as a stop only if the person in front makes you stop type of warning light
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

Quote:
Yep, its like the middle lane thing...too scared to drive properly!
this i think is my pet hate with other drivers, that and people who just don't understand mini-roundabouts...
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Worse still are those who slow down and then just manage to nip through on amber leaving you sat there.

But nowadays there seem to be some lights where the margin for error is incredibly tight and the opposing light goes green immediately yours goes to red.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Just because the lights are on green, doesn't stop people coming the other way from not stopping. I don't want a crash, even if it is not my fault.. I do approach greens with caution, but as I know my brakes are a lot better than the average road cars and because I am awake at the wheel it doesn't mean I necessarily have to slow down to less than the speed limit.. If I was a dozy driver in a little town car, I probably would have to.
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat X1/9

Driving is a skill that takes years to perfect and the standards vary drastically, its a fine line between being cautious and being overly hesitant.

Personally i would always slow up a bit when approaching a green light to assess the situation at the lights. It is annoying when you get held up by an over hesitant driver though.

Last edited by AshDry; 08-02-08 at 18:24.
AO Silver Member

Seem to recall my driving instructor telling me
It`s the driver entering or crossing a junction,
to ensure that due consideration, be given towards
those that may enter without,
care or thought of others.

times may have changed after all this
was in 1960,
John.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:

Tailgating.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludite View Post
times may have changed after all this
was in 1960,
John.
Bit different being sideswiped in a Cortina than today's mobile fortresses!

(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredshaza View Post
Tailgating.

Hang on a sec....I am not talking about bearing down on/intimidating traffic on fast road intersections or 'amber gambling' either...that would be lunacy.

I am talking about stop/start town driving in heavy traffic where we are approaching lights often at near walking pace anyway and still there are a proportion of drivers who are not just cautious, but seem intent on having the lights change back to red before they reach them.

The snow plough reference was not literal.. of course.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

There is a condition which I can only describe as 'looking for someone to give way to'. It's very irritating. Just make progress even if you want to be cautious

AlfaLincs

I'm sorry David, I just plain disagree. You must approach any junction with caution regardless of whether the lights are in your favour or not.

If you don't know why then ride a motorbike for a month or two and you will find out.

One of the key skills of driving is anticipating the unexpected. The number if accidents at junctions shows that caution is necessary. Trying to "push people through" is just plain wrong, and however tempting, i'd just ask you to reconsider. There could be someone crossing the road that you have not seen.

Interestingly here in Boston we are in the middle of an experiment where the traffic lights on our busiest roundabout have been turned off completely to see if it improves flow. They have only been there for six years, and we noticed from day one they slowed traffic a lot.

Motorists are actually taking a lot more care, but its made life more difficult for pedestrians as there are no gaps in the traffic now.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

People tend to slow up at green lights around our way because so many lights have cameras on them.
(Post Link) post #17 of 22 Old 10-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

What I am talking about are (largely) inexperienced drivers who are just plain scared the lights will change in the last 20m of their approach, to the extent that they will brake to a near standstill infront of a green light.

I see this driving style time and again where there is excellent visibility and opportunity to make sensible progress when it is safe to do so.

I really thought I had made clear that I don't bully .
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
What I am talking about are (largely) inexperienced drivers who are just plain scared the lights will change in the last 20m of their approach, to the extent that they will brake to a near standstill infront of a green light.
your point is the above constitutes dangerous driving and agreed we see these examples all the time, however in built up areas there is a need for traffic lights, cameras etc. Always remember the most dangerous traffic light is Green as said by someone else here it can change at any time so approach with a degree of caution as you never know another impatient driver may be coming the other way
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Giulia

When I was being taught to drive I remember being told to be prepared to stop if the lights change when you approach them, but there is a 'point of no return' where as they change you would still continue to cross. there is also the yellow crossed box Do not enter unless your exit is clear'......So I suppose I'm agreeing with everyone.

Whats making me jump up and down at the moment is people who on a main road travelling at or close to the speed limit decide to stop to let people out of a side road aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
decide to stop to let people out of a side road aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!
Yet if you were sitting in a side road for ages, you'd appreciate it

There's absolutely no need to slow down for a green light, that's what Amber is for. If amber shows, then you slow to a stop. If it's dangerous for you to stop then continue on. Then the light goes red, and there's a delay before the lights in the other direction turn green.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Giulia

You probably would, but that isn't the type I'm thinking of. Open road nothing about, following another car, sees the front of a vehicle appear at a side road and stops to let it out. Awful, absolutely awful.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerUK View Post
Yet if you were sitting in a side road for ages, you'd appreciate it

There's absolutely no need to slow down for a green light, that's what Amber is for. If amber shows, then you slow to a stop. If it's dangerous for you to stop then continue on. Then the light goes red, and there's a delay before the lights in the other direction turn green.
You are of course assuming that everyone uses traffic lights correctly. They don't

Always use caution when crossing a junction, if that means slowing slightly because of obstructed view or whatever, then so be it. It might just save you or someone elses life

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page