inappropriate pop videos - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

11Likes
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By User Unknown
  • 1 Post By Giorget2
  • 1 Post By milowokie
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By FredDibnah
  • 2 Post By User Unknown
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 1 Post By milowokie

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 26-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

inappropriate pop videos

I'm not a prude; I like to think I'm still young at heart and try my best to keep up with contemporary music.

But isn't this video a little creepy? (apart from it being a god awful song)

It is full on, explicit female sexuality, with mentions of liquor, etc; juxtaposed with pre-pubescent dancing kids at about 2:40.

Is it me, or is it just plainly wrong on all levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Pretentious and naive perhaps but otherwise inoffensive.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
The only problem I have is female artists wanting to be taken seriously as something other than sex objects, and then immediately dancing around in their underwear.

The formula appears to be:

1) Find good looking girl (with or without talent)
2) Remove clothes
3) Construct song full of innuendo
4) Make video
5) Profit.
Sterzo likes this.
AO Member

County: -
But in addition to this, as Stan says, there are what appear to be, a couple of 10yr-old girls dancing in the video too.

Even if it were argued that it's some kind of morality tale about the excesses of teens 'partaying' (which I sincerely doubt, I think it's just a piece of trash which a lot of impressionable kids will find to be 'cool'), having 10yr-old kids dancing in it is pretty disgusting.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

You've obviously not seen the 80s Euro-pop classic Hello performed by Twinkle.
AO Member

I haven't, and I shall resist the temptation to because you seem to be suggesting it's even more extreme.

What I would say is that we're in a very different place now from where we were in the 80s, and thankfully so - we're living in a post-Savile world where a lot of stuff that was accepted is now very unacceptable. I'm glad of that.
Paddy OPlastic likes this.
AO Gold Member

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but this is the second of "stan"'s threads where he's posted a youtube link (apparently) that my server says it can't find - whereas others obviously can. Is this because I'm old fashioned and use a laptop rather than a phone or tablet - and the link posted is suitable for mobiles only?

I'm just feeling a bit deprived of the full AO experience - not particularly because I'm desperate to watch pre-pubescent kids dancing.......

EDIT: Seems to be a firefox thing - just logged on to AO on Chrome and no problem - though I haven't watched the video, at least it appears on screen.......Second question - is this an AO v Firefox issue, or just Firefox?

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Last edited by rgwm; 26-01-17 at 16:56.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Embedded link appears, and plays, for me using FF.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
It may be that you have certain plugins disabled or not installed on Firefox.
rgwm likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Red chariot

this, then I went for 'Hello' since I haven't heard of them before then Kiss with 'take it off' and finished with Marlene Mourreau 'Vogue' ... FFS what do I do?

But in reality I agree with the OP.
Here is another example of the video like this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

I don't know how many gifts she asked for, but she's making it very hard for Santa.
Ralf S. likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
The only problem I have is female artists wanting to be taken seriously as something other than sex objects, and then immediately dancing around in their underwear.

2) Remove clothes
4) Make video
5) Profit.
They're forced to do that by a misogynist patriarchal society. And because they're exhibitionists who want the money.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 25 Old 27-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
They're forced to do that by a misogynist patriarchal society. And because they're exhibitionists who want the money.
haha!

This seems to be the fairest conclusion.
AO Member

You can argue all day about whether or not a sexually-provocative pop video tends to have a negative effect on society (and many people do), but frankly, having a couple of 10yr-olds dancing in it is pretty damned irresponsible.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

The fact that there's kids in the video isn't the worst part for me.

These videos, and there's plenty of them far worse with sexualised content, are readily available online and pedalled out on TV to an audience of children. Some of these images are not suitable for that age group.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I like the hypocrisy in these hip hop, rapping videos that show the various artists dripping in diamonds and gold surrounded by scantily clad young females, and the artists complain about people not giving them respect.
Ralf S. likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post

2) Remove clothes
4) Make video
5) Profit.
This is why I'm not a billionaire Pop Svengali. I usually;

2) Remove clothes
3) Make video
4) Send it to my mates on Social Media..

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Re. Number 4;

Have you tried a Patreon account?
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Now I'm far from a prude, and normally give a wide berth to any moral judgements on popular culture because I'm in my 50's and therefore not the target demographic. I also grew up in the 70's where as a young teen I was regaled by Benny Hill, Carry On films and the "It Shouldn't Happen To A ..." film series. I am therefore quite au fait with the Blackpool style Dirty Postcard overt sexism of the TV.

However....

My 7 year old daughter and her 5 year old sister do occasionally have MTV on (or whatever plays music vids nowadays) and I watched in open mouth horror at some song by a girl band that was playing over a genuinely soft-to-mid pr0n video.

I can only assume from hearing it that it's called "Work" since the song seemed to mostly be them repeatedly saying "Work, work, work, work, work" ad infinitum

In the video, the girl band members are gyrating every bit of their scantily clad bodies, attired in Village People style working clothes with their thrupennies hanging out, around men who are randomly brandishing lengths of timber, rolled up scrolls of building plans and anything else phallic they can get their hands on - while the young ladies parade around with tape measures making "oooh" faces at the measurements and gurning.

There's literally no double entendre or allegory in it. It's 100% clear what is at stake.

My girls were watching it while singing "Work, work, work, work, work" as they do in the car when the song comes on. Quite what they were interpreting from the pictures on the screen - Lord only knows.

Mind boggling really.

I should add that this happened around Xmas time on a channel that sandwiched the video between Wizards Wish It Could Be Christmas and a bit of Buble warbling so it's not like it had a build up to warn you (although Roy Wood's rather suspect handling of children in said Wizard video would have had me ringing Operation Yewtree, personally)
stan laurel likes this.

Last edited by FredDibnah; 07-02-17 at 09:41.
AO Member

Exactly.

I think children are always interested in 'the grown-up world', somewhere where they know they'll be in the future.

So it's the duty of adults to make sure they go at the right speed, enjoy their (hopefully) long and (hopefully) carefree childhoods and prepare properly for the journey to adulthood. Possibly girls push the barriers more than boys, with their earlier emotional development and desire to wear make-up etc and explore their burgeoning sexuality. But the same principle applies.

Stuff like Benny Hill, Carry On films, Confessions of films were something that kids watched as 'outsiders', looking in on the adult world. I think the big difference with a lot of the pop videos and programming now is that they can be, firstly: very sexual in nature but be aimed at and appeal directly to much younger audiences, and secondly: even feature (as the above video shows) 10-yr old girls taking part in very sexual material. The first is bad enough, but the second?!

If stuff like this is allowed to proliferate, you just end up normalising children being part of the adult sexual world, and we all know where that leads, don't we. It's nasty, pernicious and frankly, dangerous.
FredDibnah and stan laurel like this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Red chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
I can only assume from hearing it that it's called "Work" since the song seemed to mostly be them repeatedly saying "Work, work, work, work, work" ad infinitum

In the video, the girl band members are gyrating every bit of their scantily clad bodies, attired in Village People style working clothes with their thrupennies hanging out, around men who are randomly brandishing lengths of timber, rolled up scrolls of building plans and anything else phallic they can get their hands on - while the young ladies parade around with tape measures making "oooh" faces at the measurements and gurning.

There's literally no double entendre or allegory in it. It's 100% clear what is at stake.
I can only assume that you have missed a major hit by Benny Benassi - 'Satisfaction' (version with the power tools) Because that 'Work' thing is just doing the same in a different order.

Not to mention Alex Gaudino -Destination Calabria. It's all about musical tools apparently...
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Read this thread title as "inappropriate poop videos" and wondered what OP considered appropriate!
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Not sure it's inappropriate because it's a pastiche,

but try Finest Girl by The Lonely Island.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 25 Old 23-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I'd say that it isn't inappropriate because it's not targeting a young audience.

For a ****-take, it isn't that bad either....better than most of the serious stuff out there
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 23-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Read this thread title as "inappropriate poop videos" and wondered what OP considered appropriate!
Although you are Mr Magoo (and I claim my £5), I might as well weigh-in with my opinion on the [fecal] matter!

Obviously, videos that reference the Bristol Stool Chart would not be considered to be inappropriate.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page